How to add an Aux port for cheap and keep it stock - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By K1LOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

How to add an Aux port for cheap and keep it stock

I have added an aux port to my 06 Colorado and thought I would share my thoughts on it.
1. My Colo is a 2006 with the CD/Aux button but no CD changer, no XM, No OnStar and I have tweeters in my front doors in case anyone cares.
2. I did this primarily so I can hear my phone Music (Motorola Droid X, Streaming Pandora Radio, GPS voice, and Google Music)
3. I purchased the iSimple PXDX and the PXHgm3 wiring harness which is specific to a bunch of GM vehicles. The PXDX came from amazon for about $60 and the wiring harness came from ebay for about $7. Even though the harness says its for GM vehicles from 00-05 it did work on my 06 I called the company before and they told me it would work. They have excellent custome service.
PXDX Aux adapter
Wiring Harness
Here's what the 2 parts look like together.The dip switches on the side need to be set to the Colorado that means you will need to turn on switches 1, 3, and 8

4. You need to have a Radio with a CD/AUX button like the picture below

5. If you meet the requirements then buy the parts and pull out your Stereo. I dont have any pictures of this part.
6. Connect the yellow wire of the PXDX to the orange wire of the Stereo (this is a constant 12v not a switched one like you would use for an amp so dont let it touch any metal of the truck if you left the battery connected) and the black wire to the ground of the stereo.
7. then connect the 12 pin connector of the PXDX to the CD changer port on the Stereo.
8. Now your all hooked up and you can test it. put the key in and press the CD/AUX button and it should look like this.

9. if it does then you did it right and should be able to connect your phone or mp3 or whatever up to the PXDX audio port and hear music on your truck speakers. Secure everything inside your dash and put it all back together carefully.
The next few steps are only cosmetic.
10. I ran the power and audio wires under my steering column

and out of the seam between the driver window and the dash to conceal the wires and because I have my phone attached to the windshield here.

Now I wish I would have taken pictures when it was all taken apart, but if anyone has any questions about how to do this just reply and Ill help. I have a degree in Electronics so I should be able to figure it out. I reply to emails almost immediately everytime too so it shouldnt take me long. Hope this is helpful to someone, I know I was looking for someone to do this and never found it so I just did it myself.

Thanks and Good Luck!!

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Z85 4x4 3.5L I5

visit my website at www.theproofstation.com and share your outdoor pictures so you can win a Cabelas Gift Card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks for posting ths up. Have a fine day.

Green "05 canyon ext cab, 3.5 auto, 2wd, belltech 2/2 drop , fake lake pipes, overhead console, scangauge, ARE tonnue cover, brushed pinstrips, de badged, helwig sway bars, H3 wheels.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 PM

I have an '07 Colorado w/the 6 cd changer and xm radio option. I don't have bluetooth capability. I'm looking for a cheap (preferably $50 - $75) to hook up an aux 3.5mm port to my radio so that I can hookup my cell phone to listen to mp3's. Is there any way to do it inexpensively?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Hey guys, I have an '10 colo with onstar wt standard cab, I used the exact part joeyoung25 did and it did not interfere with anything. I recommend this to anyone wanting to add a aux port. Total cost $63 ordered straight from google.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Great info. I'm gonna try it on my '07. Thanks

2007 Colorado 2WD 3.7
Suspension Maxx 2.5" Level lift Front
245/65 - 17" All terrains
Annoying Low RPM Engine rattle
Crunchy rack and pinion
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM

I bought an Audiovox fm transmitter from installer.com for $56 after shipping costs, a y-cable from best buy for $10. Took an hour to install and the sound quality is great. I spliced into the radio power so I still have both outlets.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM

I've got all the parts but I'm having difficulty connecting the black and yellow wires. Could you explain how this is done? I really appreciate it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 AM

Anybody?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 PM

If you do this mod, will you still be able to use the cd player? not that its really that important because most of the time my ipod has all the music thats on my cds

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 4x4 Z71
Mods: Home Made Resonator Delete, Ultra 5150 15x8 wheels w/ 3.75 backspace, Corvette Intermediate Servo, Billet overdrive servo, Custom front recovery bar with hitch, Line-x Spray in Bedliner, Pro Comp AAL 1.5", 2" custom shackle, 2" tbar crank
Future Mods: Custom skid plates, Custom Rock sliders, E-fan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
I've got all the parts but I'm having difficulty connecting the black and yellow wires. Could you explain how this is done? I really appreciate it.
You could cut them and splice it or you could buy some quick splice connectors at wal-mart for like 2$ I like the quick splice connectors because you don't have to cut any wires.

2005 GMC Canyon SLE z71
3.5 inch zone combo lift
33x10.50r15 BfGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Supermodulation Performance Package and Tune
Kennwood head unit and speakers
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys I sold my Colorado to my Father-in-law who sold it to his son so I still see it but I don't "own" it. I did like the adapter other than it had to be disconnected occasionally after it wouldn't be detected. I just wanted/needed something a little bigger so I got the Colo's big brother (Silverado) It's almost identical other than the color and slightly more miles but I love it even more.

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Z85 4x4 3.5L I5

visit my website at www.theproofstation.com and share your outdoor pictures so you can win a Cabelas Gift Card.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:43 PM

Reviving this thread as I'm new here. I have a 2008 GMC Canyon and the CD player stopped working. Pulled it apart and there seems to be a gear that is spinning on spindle not moving the sensor back and forth. That seems to cause the CD to not be read and not be ejected. I spun the spindle so the head went to the center and the CD ejected, yay!

Now, I don't much care about CD's if I can instead use my phone or iPod so I've been researching how to connect. My radio does not have XM, the truck did not come with it, but it has the CD/Aux button. Seems like the local stereo shops and even the GM dealers don't know how to make use of my Aux button so I was pretty happy to find this thread but the adapter i'm looking at is this:

AAI-GM12

or here on Amazon:

Amazon.com: PAC AAI-GM12 Dual Auxiliary Audio Input Interface for Select General Motors Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: PAC AAI-GM12 Dual Auxiliary Audio Input Interface for Select General Motors Vehicles: Car Electronics

Anyone gotten that to work? When I contacted the Pac folks they have no idea if it will work and they keep insisting that I need a "slave unit" of some sort in order to be sure this works. They don't seem to have any experience with a radio that does not have XM but has this CD/Aux button. I'm thinking that this radio will in fact work but I'd like some confirmation from someone with experience. My guess is that this radio was made with the notion that a CD changer or some other input could be added to the mix w/o needing another head unit but that's just a guess.

Anyone know for sure?

thanks peterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyoung25 View Post
I have added an aux port to my 06 Colorado and thought I would share my thoughts on it.
1. My Colo is a 2006 with the CD/Aux button but no CD changer, no XM, No OnStar and I have tweeters in my front doors in case anyone cares.
2. I did this primarily so I can hear my phone Music (Motorola Droid X, Streaming Pandora Radio, GPS voice, and Google Music)
3. I purchased the iSimple PXDX and the PXHgm3 wiring harness which is specific to a bunch of GM vehicles. The PXDX came from amazon for about $60 and the wiring harness came from ebay for about $7. Even though the harness says its for GM vehicles from 00-05 it did work on my 06 I called the company before and they told me it would work. They have excellent custome service.
PXDX Aux adapter
Wiring Harness
Here's what the 2 parts look like together.The dip switches on the side need to be set to the Colorado that means you will need to turn on switches 1, 3, and 8

4. You need to have a Radio with a CD/AUX button like the picture below

5. If you meet the requirements then buy the parts and pull out your Stereo. I dont have any pictures of this part.
6. Connect the yellow wire of the PXDX to the orange wire of the Stereo (this is a constant 12v not a switched one like you would use for an amp so dont let it touch any metal of the truck if you left the battery connected) and the black wire to the ground of the stereo.
7. then connect the 12 pin connector of the PXDX to the CD changer port on the Stereo.
8. Now your all hooked up and you can test it. put the key in and press the CD/AUX button and it should look like this.

9. if it does then you did it right and should be able to connect your phone or mp3 or whatever up to the PXDX audio port and hear music on your truck speakers. Secure everything inside your dash and put it all back together carefully.
The next few steps are only cosmetic.
10. I ran the power and audio wires under my steering column

and out of the seam between the driver window and the dash to conceal the wires and because I have my phone attached to the windshield here.

Now I wish I would have taken pictures when it was all taken apart, but if anyone has any questions about how to do this just reply and Ill help. I have a degree in Electronics so I should be able to figure it out. I reply to emails almost immediately everytime too so it shouldnt take me long. Hope this is helpful to someone, I know I was looking for someone to do this and never found it so I just did it myself.

Thanks and Good Luck!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:27 AM

Did you try this?

I'm curious as to the results.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
Add Bluetooth Instead of Aux!

I've been looking at all this lately and am now planning on doing a similar install. Thought I'd run my plans past the experts we have here on the forum before I order anything. This thread seems to be of a similar topic so I will try asking here first.

I have an 08 Colorado LT w/ crew cab, onstar, and XM radio. I don't subscribe to either onstar nor XM radio, but I would like to keep those services available. I believe I have located the XM module tucked in behind the glovebox and it is accessible from the access panel on the side when the passenger door is open. There is a wiring harness going from that module (assumed to be XM) to a connection point that is wonderfully exposed out in the open behind the glove box. How can I confirm that this is in fact the XM module and not the Onstar module or something else entirely? I'm 90% sure it is XM, I'd like to be 100% sure.

My plan is to install this bluetooth adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011IV7Y9Y/...I1ISYMY1CPVW2P
unit by splicing into the XM harness. I'll accomplish that by using quick splice connectors like these: https://www.amazon.ca/Phoneix-Splice...s=quick+splice .
I believe it is the 18-22 gauge quick splices I would require.

This youtube video: https://youtu.be/FLVLuUVx17o
Indicates the wires to splice into for the left and right speakers. Does anybody know which wires I can splice into for power and ground? I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for that wiring harness to explain the colours to me.

If all goes to plan, I will have added bluetooth (music only) to my truck for about $50CAD. To play the music, I would tune the headunit to XM and set it to the "radio ID" channel. I believe the idea is sound, anyone see an issue with it?
Ranger21 likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:50 PM

K1LOS
There is a write up at 355nation and on youtube ($3.00 radio mod.) doing a radio mod that adds a 1/8 inch stereo plug to the xm harness. It seemed pretty simple just splice into the right / left and ground input leads to from the xm to the radio. Sorry I don't have the links on hand at the moment. To bad the search engines are so bad on these sites.

Green "05 canyon ext cab, 3.5 auto, 2wd, belltech 2/2 drop , fake lake pipes, overhead console, scangauge, ARE tonnue cover, brushed pinstrips, de badged, helwig sway bars, H3 wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode