• 1 Post By Toughsox
  • 1 Post By Redrocker65
  • 1 Post By naskie18
  • 1 Post By Redrocker65
  • 1 Post By Redrocker65

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Radio install

Greetings to all. New member with a quick question, well I hope it is quick. I have a 2005 Crew Cab Colorado and the stock stereo has run it's course. I have purchased a Kenwood unit from Crutchfield and they sent me all the needed parts, including an Axxess wire harness that plugs into the existing plug in the truck and supposedly keeps the door chimes and all that rot. I have got it all wired up to the radio, but after reading another forum, I am a bit confused. Somebody posted that by installing a new aftermarket radio, I might lose all the computer functions for the truck and it might leave me stranded. He said something about a "tuning" process that needs to happen. Am I being paranoid? I am a weekend warrior with mechanics, but these new fangled trucks get me confused.

Also, I am replacing the rear speakers for now, and when I took the door skin off, the speaker was glued to some plastic dohickey (Yea, that's the official name of it, LOL). Do I need to reuse the dohickey? If I don't, the speaker is going to sit inside the door too far I fear and hit the window.

Anyway's, hope this is all fairly clear to read and easy to answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dino (New guy)
Toughsox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:54 AM

There should be nothing about your install which could lead to losing computer functions or truck functionality, I'd like to see where you saw that.

I've gone through a couple different headunits in my '04 and had no issues at all with the installs or any functionality of the truck being accidentally lost. I'm currently running a Pioneer head unit that's been in that truck for over 10 years.

As for the dohickey on the stock speakers, I'm guessing (though I don't recall, it's been a long time since I replaced the stock speakers) that it was just a mount. I'm assuming you also got the speakers from Crutchfield? I wouldn't expect there to be a fitment issue, but it's worth giving it a try before you put everything back together - stick the speaker in and slowly roll down the window to see how much clearance you end up with.
Toughsox and Redrocker65 like this.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Naskie,

Thanks for the response, yes it is a plastic piece that seems to extend the speaker away from the door so it does not stick into the door panel as far. I am going to try and pry the old speaker off and reuse the plastic piece behind the new speaker. It just seems like it would fit better.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 PM

The link you provided is talking about people that used aftermarket tunes on their vehicles having issues with certain wiring harnesses (the crappy Schosche ones) Like @naskie18 said, the changing of the head unit will not impact your vehicle in any way, shape of form.

Both my 2005 and my 2016 Colorados got new head units soon after I bought them, and it was not much different than doing it to my old 67 Chevelle.

As for the plastic spacer, I do recall having to use different (longer) screws than what they gave with the speakers since they did not consider the thickness of the spacers but, I did re-use them at least 3-4 times that I blew the speakers every couple of years.

I'm sure your Collie is just fine. Now crank up the tunes and enjoy.

PS, the spacers I used were the stock ones....a little work and they do come right off the stock speakers. Just do it in a warm garage or bring them into the house to warm up as the cold weather might make them a little brittle.

PSS....Welcome to the forums but....we DO demand you show pix of your ride.
Redrocker65 likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

Last edited by Toughsox; 03-11-2017 at 10:57 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Oh and @Redrocker65 the other forums you linked are owned by the same people that own this forums. The 355 net site is moreso dedicated to the 1st Gen Collies and Canyons while the bulk of the current topics here are for the 2nd Gens.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info Toughsox, I appreciate the info. I was hoping it was not something that was going to mess up the truck as lots of folks have done it. The speaker issue was as I thought, but just needed a bit of confirmation that it was ok to try and get the plastic spacer off the speaker and reuse it.

I did not realize both sites were owned by the same group. I have posed many questions on the other site and gotten some great info, but thought it would not be a bad thing to get a second opinion, so to speak.

Thanks for all your help.
Toughsox likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker65 View Post
That isn't really about the radio replacement, it's talking about issues the forum members are having when trying to re-tune the PCM/TCM of their trucks (engine/transmission controllers) using HPTuners (also called HPT in that thread).

When that thread refers to "tuning", it's nothing audio related - it's talking about reprogramming the engine and transmission control modules.
Toughsox likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I thought so, but just needed confirmation from somebody who knows. I am going to start with the rear speakers first. Then the radio.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, it has been a bit, and I forgot to update. Radio install went perfect. Took off the trip plate, unscrewed the old radio, put the harness into the old harness, found a place to run the mic for the phone feature on the stereo, hooked up the harness to the radio and off I went. All told, it took about 2 hours, including a few beers in between, and looks awesome. All features work, bells and chimes are still good and I am one happy guy. Thanks to all who helped. I appreciate all the info.

Red
Toughsox likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:19 PM

@Redrocker65 Glad my little bit helped. I found this site soon after I bought my 2005 Collie, and this site was tremendous in helping me as I did a total stereo upgrade on that, including removing the doors to replace the speaker wires (those old doors came off with 1 bolt, loved it)
Now that I have a 2nd Gen, once again this is your 1 stop shopping for all things Colorado / Canyon related. Hope to see you around again soon and good luck with your new speakers.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
@Redrocker65 Glad my little bit helped. I found this site soon after I bought my 2005 Collie, and this site was tremendous in helping me as I did a total stereo upgrade on that, including removing the doors to replace the speaker wires (those old doors came off with 1 bolt, loved it)
Now that I have a 2nd Gen, once again this is your 1 stop shopping for all things Colorado / Canyon related. Hope to see you around again soon and good luck with your new speakers.
Thanks, and yea, I have been able to get some good info. If you get a second, I posted a question about the top window molding. If you have any input I would love to hear it.

I am actually thinking of going the whole route on the radio with an amp and some subs, but just don't know if i want to get that deep into it. next is going to be some new front speakers, 3 ways. Crutchfield had some Sony's for about 100 bucks. Might be a nice summer project.

Thanks again.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker65 View Post
Well, it has been a bit, and I forgot to update. Radio install went perfect. Took off the trip plate, unscrewed the old radio, put the harness into the old harness, found a place to run the mic for the phone feature on the stereo, hooked up the harness to the radio and off I went. All told, it took about 2 hours, including a few beers in between, and looks awesome. All features work, bells and chimes are still good and I am one happy guy. Thanks to all who helped. I appreciate all the info.

Red
I put an aftermarket radio/navigation in my old 2007 Colorado. Loved that truck. Are the stock tweeters in your front doors as sweet as the ones that were in mine? Man that radio sure sounded good once you could tune it a little with an equalizer. It sure sounded A LOT better than that POS that is in my new Colorado. You can't even hear the rear speakers in the thing. I don't have a clue what they were thinking. Its like they TRIED to make it sound bad. I swear!

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
I put an aftermarket radio/navigation in my old 2007 Colorado. Loved that truck. Are the stock tweeters in your front doors as sweet as the ones that were in mine? Man that radio sure sounded good once you could tune it a little with an equalizer. It sure sounded A LOT better than that POS that is in my new Colorado. You can't even hear the rear speakers in the thing. I don't have a clue what they were thinking. Its like they TRIED to make it sound bad. I swear!
Ya know what is funny, I had a pair of old 3 way Sony's that were just collecting dust. I got a wild hair and thought, hmmm, wonder what they would sound like in the front in place of the stock setup. So I pulled the door panel off, undid one side of the trucks front speakers and hooked up the Sony's. Being a bit older and the hearing just aint what it used to be, I had my 16yo son come out and take a listen. He said the stock setup sounded better than the Sony's did. I was shocked, so for now, i think I am going keep the stock setup in the front. But the new speakers in the rear sound pretty good. Have to tweek the EQ a bit and maybe play with the fade between the front and the back. Was thinking of setting up a Amp and Sub Woofer some time in the future, but for now i am very happy with the setup.
JScottM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode