Stock HU- Single CD/MP3 player Aux Input- The HOLY GRAIL - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stock HU- Single CD/MP3 player Aux Input- The HOLY GRAIL

I have searched and searched to no avail, is there no way to wire up a stock HU with a mini jack so I can add any music playing device (IPOD, MP3) to it WITHOUT ordering a USA Spec type device. This seems a little ridiculous. whats so special about these boxes? Are they computing anything? Or are they a fancy box with some splices and maybe a signal booster in them? I can go to radio shack and get the connector for next to nothing and splice it in. Nobody has done this yet? I find that hard to believe.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I should note that I do NOT have XM radio receiver on board and I have verified that the there is no small connector installed on the rear of the HU. So I am thinking that GM XM receiver sends audio signals out similar to an IPOD or any generic MP3 player through the L and R audio input of that connector. Do I need to trick the HU in thinking there is something there to activate the aux button or will it do it automatically?

I did find this- but he modified the XM tuner...I wonder if it will still work....the only question is, is there a signal on the serial line that activates the aux function on the head unit? Save a hundred bucks.....

Quote:
Wayland wrote:
I took the advice of some others on this web site and was able to direct connect my Ipod to the single disc MP3 player with XM satellite radio in my 2005 Canyon for about $4, and it sounds great.

Here's what you need to do:

This radio has two buss connectors on the back, the one coming from the XM tuner has 5 wires going to it. They are purple, bare(wrapped with tape), black/white (common), brown/white (left channel), and green/white (right channel). Since I never intend to subscribe to XM radio (the following procedure will disable the audio channels coming from the XM tuner) I tied my mini-stereo jack into this connector.

Remove the connector from the back of the radio and cut the black/white, brown/white, & green/white wires. Cap each of these wires that go back to the XM tunner (hidden elsewhere in the vehicle). On the connector side you simply connect the left channel from the Ipod to the brown/white wire, the right channel to the green/white wire and the common for both channels to the black/white wire. Plug the connector back into the radio.

Now plug the the stereo mini-jack you just wired to the connector to the headphone output on the Ipod. Tune the radio to either XM1 or XM2 band and you will hear the Ipod if it's on and playing. I didn't see the need for a line-input signal booster either, it was plenty loud.

PS: It doesn't matter which station you are tuned to.

Good Luck. Wayland"
K&N Filter; Bak-Flip Cover- awesome, nothing like it on the market; Line-X; Rancho 5000 Shocks; Maxx Cams; 2" Maxx Lift Shackles; BFG A/T KO 33x10.5x15 (no issues with a 2" lift, for those wondering); Summit Stainless Chrome Side Step Bars

Lifted Member #274
Gun Toting American Club Member #66

Wish List- New Audio with sub; Front bull bar/pre-runner with winch mount and lights; 1-2" Body Lift
chevy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Stock HU- Single CD/MP3 player Aux Input- The HOLY GRAIL

K&N Filter; Bak-Flip Cover- awesome, nothing like it on the market; Line-X; Rancho 5000 Shocks; Maxx Cams; 2" Maxx Lift Shackles; BFG A/T KO 33x10.5x15 (no issues with a 2" lift, for those wondering); Summit Stainless Chrome Side Step Bars

Lifted Member #274

Wish List- New Audio with sub; Front bull bar/pre-runner with winch mount and lights; 1-2" Body Lift
Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

mods- I combined my post please delete this and 123...thanks

Lifted Member #274

Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan

He basically bypassed the audio side of the XM module with his ipod's audio. The XM module is still connected to the HU via the purple and clear wires so technically he turned it into an interface like the USA-Spec except he can't control the ipod.

The USA-Spec ipod module is and interface. Not just an AUX input. It will allow you to control the ipod via the HU's buttons. Also, you will get better sound quality by using the dock port on the bottom of the ipod instead of the headphone jack.

You can save a little money and get a PIE GM12-AUXV2 adapter for $60: http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p/GM ... erralID=NA

DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah....call me stubborn, but I want to do this mod and I want the jack to be a flush mount, I don't want a cable dangling and hanging out if I am not using it.... no biggie on the control portion, or the charge portion.....

the serial wire is the only one that is throwing me off, because I am confident that is the wire transmitting the control data to and from the HU and the XM reciever (if it was installed). Is that the wire that would "tell" the HU that aux equipment is installed and activate the aux button on the HU, or is it as simple as hooking up the common wire, and the L and R inputs.

Lifted Member #274

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan

Yes, the purple wire is the "data" wire. Simply hooking up the 2 channels will not work as the HU will not switch to XM if the purple wire is not present.

You can always mount a 3.5mm jack (pitured below) on the dash or center bezel if you use the PIE GM12v2

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNissan
Yes, the purple wire is the "data" wire. Simply hooking up the 2 channels will not work as the HU will not switch to XM if the purple wire is not present.

You can always mount a 3.5mm jack (pitured below) on the dash or center bezel if you use the PIE GM12v2

[
the purple wire, whats on the purple wire that turns it on, has anyone asked that? Can I rig something up to trick the HU in thinking the XM reciever is there, even if it doesn't have data on it, wouldn't the HU pick up a voltage to activate the AUX feature?

Lifted Member #274

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

I'm not sure what runs through the purple wire. In the USA-Spec instructions, the DATA wire is cut then spliced into the blue wire going into the USA-Spec module. If the purple DATA wire is DataBus, then it will have less than 5v.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just did AUX connection on my 2006 C6 Vette. Got a jack from Radio Shack I can listen to both XM and MP3. Plug in the Jack MP3 plays remove the plug and XM plays. All controls for the MP3 will still need to be addressed through the MP3 but radio volume works. Cost $10 +-

I got my information from a guy on the Corvette Forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-e ... input.html

As soon as I figure out where the XM receiver is on the Colorado (or Remove the Radio) I am going to d othe same.!!

P.S. Anybody know where the XM receiver is on a 2005 Colorado Crew Cab??
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

The XM receiver is behind the glove box and can be seen through the access panel on the passenger side of the dash.

The OP does not have XM Radio so that mod will not work for him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.