Blown Speaker...Water in Door??? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blown Speaker...Water in Door???

I don't play the radio very loud yet the speaker in the passenger side door sounds like it's blown.

Does anyone want to take a shot at what caused it?

Just a bad speaker from the factory?

Could it be due to water getting inside the door?
koogles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Blown Speaker...Water in Door???

Out of the blue my pass. door spker. has a bad bass buzz like yourself I don't crank the radio a few days later the drivers side started also! I have yet to open the door panels because of weather 20* I don't want to do any damage to the inner panel rear spker. is fine .Any help on this common problem will be great thanks Dave
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Out of the blue my pass. door spker. has a bad bass buzz like yourself I don't crank the radio a few days later the drivers side started also! I have yet to open the door panels because of weather 20* I don't want to do any damage to the inner panel rear spker. is fine .Any help on this common problem will be great thanks Dave
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gridracer

My stock passenger door speaker is blown too and I never played it loud,I think the speakers in these trucks are garbage I have seen alot of complaints of them blown. Pick up a set of Phoenix Gold RSD's 6.5cs for $80 and you'll be amazed at the sound quality.
gridracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

my stock door speakers had the same weird buzz that would come and go seeming to do it the most when it was wet and cold outside or i had just washed the truck. seems that a great deal of water would leak down into the doors from the window seal and get the speakers wet. when i opened up the door panels to replace the speakers with alpines i noticed small amounts of standing water in the panel and water marks on the speaker. not wanting to ruin my new speakers i rigged up foam speaker baffles to protect them from water. no problems yet
Whatheheck05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatheheck05
my stock door speakers had the same weird buzz that would come and go seeming to do it the most when it was wet and cold outside or i had just washed the truck. seems that a great deal of water would leak down into the doors from the window seal and get the speakers wet. when i opened up the door panels to replace the speakers with alpines i noticed small amounts of standing water in the panel and water marks on the speaker. not wanting to ruin my new speakers i rigged up foam speaker baffles to protect them from water. no problems yet
Thanks WTH,

The first time I noticed the buzzing speaker was on a cold morning a few months ago. I remember saying to myself, I wonder if this buzzing has anything to do with it being so bloody cold outside.. I was going to call the dealer later that day to schedule an appointment but by then the buzzing sound was gone. Since then though I hear it pretty much all the time and I've switched to just using the rear speakers.

I don't see the point of replacing the speaker if the potential exists for it happening again in a year or two. Can you explain what a speaker baffel is? Did you wrap foam around the back of the speaker?

BTW, I read the DIY post on removing the speakers and I don't think I could remove the door panel withouth breaking something.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

ya heres the foam speaker baffles i got. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT65/XT ... tml?tp=660
I put them on normal like the intructions show( very tight with the back of the speakers fully enclosed) but it didnt seem like the speakers got enough air so i cut the bottom half off so the top would be protected from the water run off.
I didnt take these pictures but i got them picture online. This is wat i did however:

heres a pic that it should look like in the door. this pic doesnt have the bottom cut out of the baffle however

Tell me if you need any other help
Whatheheck05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

WTH, Thank you so much man....this is great info.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up....

06 Ext Cab Xtreme. 3.5 Auto. 200 Amp Alternator With 1/0 Big Three Wiring Upgrade.
Four Way Active Audio System. Alpine CDA-9887 HU. Alpine H701 Processor and C701 Controller.
Hybrid Audio L1 Tweeters. Hybrid Audio L3 Midrange. Hybrid Audio L6 Midbass, Two TC Sounds 12" Subs.
Sundown Audio 100.2, Sundown Audio 100.4, Sundown Audio 1200D Amps.
TexasXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pioneer has a set of 6 1/2 " speakers that have the correct mounting depth, i had to replace all 4 of my doors speakers. They run about 60 - 70 dollars a pair and are well worth it.
jonmark63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.