Put an AUX Input on your Stock Radio - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Put an AUX Input on your Stock Radio

Want to Listen to an Mp3 player or IPOD with your stock 2002-2009 Colorado Radio?
This is the Cheapest/Simplest Way to Do it

WHAT YOU NEED:
PIE GM12-auxv2 (approx 55-60 bucks) – Auxiliary Input
RCA to 3.5 mm conversion cable (3 bucks online)—cheaper wire is better b/c a slender wire will allow itself to be secured between the faceplate & the dash w/out having to drill or pinch
7mm Nut Driver
1 x Wire splice connector
Pliers

The EASY PART:
1)Disconnect Negative Terminal on Truck’s Battery to cut power to all electronics.

2)Pull firmly on the lower portion of the faceplate that borders the center A/C vents, Factory Head Unit, & A/C Controls. Work your way up from the bottom to the top until this piece has completely separated from dash…

3)Remove the faceplate, making sure that the two electrical plugs (caution light switch & airbag notification light) are removed. Be careful not to scratch the dash with the rear part of the faceplate as it has sharp corners and can mess up your dash. I placed a sheet over the dash to ensure this didn’t happen. The airbag notification plug is a little tricky to disconnect so if you can’t get it, no worries, just set the faceplate upside down on the dash above the passenger airbag with the plug still attached & move on.

4)Remove the three screws that hold the head unit in place with the 7mm Nut driver and disconnect all plugs from the rear.

THE FUN PART:
This is the easiest way I found to handle the power situation.

1)Remove the PIE gm12-auxv2 from its package and assemble it by plugging the white 4 pin peripheral plug into the corresponding plug on the box. (be sure to pop the top off of the box and make sure the little jumper is in the XM position)

2)First stretch out the yellow and black power wires that are twist tied to the gm12-auxv2 and snip the connector off the YELLOW WIRE ONLY as you won’t need it.

3)Using a wire splice connector and pliers, splice the yellow wire on the gm12-auxv2 to one of the positive constant power wires on either of the two cigarette lighters located under the A/ C controls. Note the convenient hole in the dash to the left of the cigarette lighters; this makes for pretty easy access to the wiring.

4)Install the 12-pin connector from the gm12-auxv2 into the 12-pin female socket on the back of the head unit. Also plug the main radio plug & antenna cable back into the head unit. If you have a factory CD changer, you will need to install the 12-pin connecter that was previously in the head unit into the 12-pin female extension on the gm12-auxv2.

5)Plug you’re RCA to 3.5 mm conversion wire into the gm12-auxv2 box

6)Place the gm12-auxv2 box on top of the head unit and drop the RCA to 3.5mm conversion wire behind the dash & out the hole to the left of the cigarette lighter

7)Now it is simply a matter of setting everything in place. Secure the head unit in place. The final wiring step is to put the right head unit screw through the connector on the black ground wire and screw it in place. This provides a sufficient ground for the gm12-auxv2 and requires no splicing or soldering.

Secure the head unit with the remaining two screws and re-secure the faceplate to the dash (make sure to reconnect the two plugs that we disconnected upon removal).

9)Reconnect the negative battery terminal & turn on your radio.

10)The Colorado auxiliary input(s) work on the band button… Aux 1 & 2 should be located after AM in the cycle. If you have a factory CD changer, it should be located on the 2nd Aux input.
werm0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Put an AUX Input on your Stock Radio

can we get some pictures please? i'm really interested in this but am kinda a retard when it comes to car radios
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Will this also work if you just have the basic AM/FM radio without any other features? I'm using an FM transmitter to run my MP3 player through right now and the sound quality is alright, but could be better.
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

NO... SORRY... PER THE PRODUCT WEBSITE THE GM12 AUX2 CAN ONLY BE USED ON RADIOS THAT HAVE EXTERNAL CD CHANGER CAPABILITIES
werm0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I installed this product a few weeks ago, and coincedentally the Security light (Red vehicle with lock) occosionally illuminates at start up. It remains lit during the duration of the drive, but doesn't appear to affect the drivability of the truck. I called onstar for their diagnosis and no problems were reported. A tech there said that it was probably someone pulling on the door handle while the doors were locked that set it off... I have my doubts.

Has anyone else had this intermittent problem? The problem may not even be related to the Aux adapter.
meh_kick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_kick View Post
I installed this product a few weeks ago, and coincedentally the Security light (Red vehicle with lock) occosionally illuminates at start up. It remains lit during the duration of the drive, but doesn't appear to affect the drivability of the truck. I called onstar for their diagnosis and no problems were reported. A tech there said that it was probably someone pulling on the door handle while the doors were locked that set it off... I have my doubts.

Has anyone else had this intermittent problem? The problem may not even be related to the Aux adapter.
I had the same problem with the Alpine hu I installed in my '09. Every now and then, the red Security light would light up, but if I turned the truck off and then on again, the light would go out. My Chevy dealer didn't have any ideas, so I just lived with it.
'07 extended cab LT (sold)
For more pics, visit my Photobucket album.
dscain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Not sure about the adaptor install, but I think I know the answer for dscain's issue of swapping the head unit.

I have a 2006 Colorado and almost immediately after buying it new ordered the things I couldn't swap over from my previous car's setup. My distributor called me and advised that I needed a module for the chimes for the key in ignition, door open, etc..reason being that the factory radio runs those through your speakers and when you replace it with an aftermarket you require this module to run that part of it correctly. I believe it is called a RS1 module, not sure of a part number but I know you don't have to order it from Chevy. He did mention that not having one can cause the computer to read incorrectly. This may also be the reason you're running into the iPod aux input issues too.

My thought on it is if you do want the aux in, just buy an aftermarket radio. Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine all have good ones with the input on the front that you can get for around $150 installed even if you have someone do it for you. If you can do it yourself, you can probably get a decent head unit around $100 which isn't that far off from the aux adaptor that the original poster mentions. Mine had AM/FM only and I had my aftermarket system already. The head unit I have has both the USB and universal mini-jack input.

Hope this helps.
ABA316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA316 View Post
Not sure about the adaptor install, but I think I know the answer for dscain's issue of swapping the head unit.

I have a 2006 Colorado and almost immediately after buying it new ordered the things I couldn't swap over from my previous car's setup. My distributor called me and advised that I needed a module for the chimes for the key in ignition, door open, etc..reason being that the factory radio runs those through your speakers and when you replace it with an aftermarket you require this module to run that part of it correctly. I believe it is called a RS1 module, not sure of a part number but I know you don't have to order it from Chevy. He did mention that not having one can cause the computer to read incorrectly. This may also be the reason you're running into the iPod aux input issues too.

My thought on it is if you do want the aux in, just buy an aftermarket radio. Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine all have good ones with the input on the front that you can get for around $150 installed even if you have someone do it for you. If you can do it yourself, you can probably get a decent head unit around $100 which isn't that far off from the aux adaptor that the original poster mentions. Mine had AM/FM only and I had my aftermarket system already. The head unit I have has both the USB and universal mini-jack input.

Hope this helps.
I installed the GMOS-01 module (which retains the door chimes and OnStar) when I did the HU swap. I don't know if that's the same module you're talking about, but it's the one that is generally recommended when using an aftermarket head unit in a Colorado.

I'm inclined to agree with you about the aftermarket radio. By the time you buy the PIE aux in and figure in the value of the labor in making it work, the cost of a replacement HU is competitive. True, you won't get amazing sound out of a $100 aftermarket system, but then again, you're not getting amazing sound out of the OEM unit either.
'07 extended cab LT (sold)
For more pics, visit my Photobucket album.

Last edited by dscain; 07-25-2011 at 07:46 AM.
dscain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, the OS-1 is it..thanks for the memory refresh. You're right about labor, have to do the same amount of work basically to install that versus pull the radio and replace.

Way I see it is you can still get a good sound out of the lower end aftermarket radio these days, most of them have EQ's and bass booster built in for one thing not to mention do feature the AUX in and some are satellite ready if that's your thing.

More importantly if you do decide to beef your system up with an amp, you already have the RCA's. My current system is:

Hifonics component system..1" tweeter cut into top of door, 6.5" midrange, crossover in door, run by an MTX 90X2 watt amp.

2 Polk 12" subs, truck boxes, Jensen 200X2 amp.

Even if my Colorado came with a CD player (which it didn't) I would have pulled it anyway.
ABA316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

One of the first add-ons I did was a sub kit from Crutchfield. They have models that conceal under the back seat. It has worked great for me. I recently added a Digital Interface adapter to the original HU that allows me to connect any mp3 player. It was about $65. If your factory HU has the Band button that goes AM, FM1, FM2, CD then it will work. The adapter connects into a port in the back of the HU designed for an in-trunk cd unit. The band button will then have an additional "1" and "2" in its rotation. Grab power from a lighter socket. Look for GM12-AuxV2 made by P.I.E. marketed thru Crutchfield. Also the first one I got had a bad wiring harness so they shipped me another the next day. So I am fully satisfied. - Len
Lens20v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.