Need help! How to remove stock stereo?? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help! How to remove stock stereo??

I'm going to be installing my double din head unit in my 05 colorado once i get the parts i need. I just need to know what you have to remove to install and does the dash need to come off?

Pics would be helpful if anyone has any or just a good description of How to.... or if there is an existing thread with this you know of. where i can find it or find it under in a search?

Thanks!
MrGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You just need to pull the entire silver bezel from the dash that surrounds the diffusers, stereo and heat controls. I find it easiest to start at the bottom. If you take the very bottom and press 'up' you can feel it's a little sloppy. Press that up high enough to get your finger behind it and pull it away from the dash. It's easier if you use a small screwdriver or other flat type tool. Maybe start in the center where there is more flexibility. You can't see down there, so you don't need to exercise a ton of caution not to scratch it, but it's still nice to take necessary precautions. Once you have the bottom pulled away from the dash slightly, work your way up. There are two points of contact on both sides of the bezel. One set of them are I believe near the heat controls, or maybe up a little closer to the stereo. Then there are two more near the top. Both sets are in line horizontally with each other. It's nice if you work up both sides together and pull away easily. Use a little caution if you are working in a cold environment. Plastic is brittle in the cold.

The two diffusers come with the bezel. There are two wire connectors attached to the back (if you have 4x4). The larger one is for the 4x4 buttons and one is for the hazard lights. It's a tiny wire at the very top. The 4x4 comes off easily, just locate the squeeze tab and press it in and wiggle the harness out of the socket. The smaller wire has a tab that you need to lift, it's a tiny metal tab and it's on the top of the plug. A small screwdriver works well because you can lift the tab where there is limited finger room, then wiggle it out.

The stereo is held in with three screws, two on the left, one on the right. 7 mm socket is all you need. Carefully pull it out then unplug the antenna and any wire harnesses in the back. Two harnesses if you have SAT, one otherwise.

I think there is a thread on here with pictures but I'm not sure where I have found pictures. Once you get the bottom popped out it should be a breeze. The vents may come out of the bezel, they snap in place. In the event they come out, the sort of hinge back into place. Remove the vent diffusers completely, then insert the top of the diffuser into the bezel lining up the two locking tabs. Once they are aligned you hinge the vent down to engage the two bottom locking tabs. That will make more sense when you see it. To put it back on, plug in the wire harnesses, line up the diffusers in the vents and work your way down pressing the tabs into the locking holes down the edge of the bezel.

Good luck, hope this helps. Let me/us know if there are any more questions.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can also use a putty knife and slide it into the side of the bezel to start it moving towards you. The come right out. They are just snapped in. I have had mine out several times.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

i am going to swap out my base amfm to a delco amfmmp3 unit, iss there anything i need to know? i heard the unit needs to be reprogrammed for my 08 colo? is that true.
rado08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think it will be trial and error for you. I recently connected an iPod controller in my truck. The shop told me the port on the stereo may not be actived. If I needed to have it activated I would need to see a dealership and have them do so. In my case, it worked.

IF what you need is the same as me, you won't know until you plug it in. I was told they can activate it via the OBDII port.

Is the stereo you're looking at out of another Colorado/Canyon or is it from something else? What about the year/model stereo is the donor? I don't know if it makes a difference, just giving you ideas of what may cause a problem. I haven't heard much about anybody swapping out one GM stereo for another GM stereo.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

When I installed my new stereo I had to get a new wire harness too, so that might be something to look out for also.
Cutie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

A person an simply pull the particular dash panel off using little effort. Chances are you'll or may not should lower your tilt wheel to carry out this. The particular dash panel is held within retaining clips which don't require any screws or fancy maneuvering to take out. The particular radio itself is held within 2 screws. I think these screws need a nut driver to cut out.want a car audio dvd
pure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

i found this video when i was looking around.. i'm about to try to change mine out as well.. it will at least get you started.

GMC Car Stereo Removal
The_bearded_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This video is helpful for seeing the clips location, however I find it so much easier to start from the bottom though. Once the bottom is loose you can work up along both edges dislodging each of the clips equally from each side.

I have seen that video before. It's one of the better ones I have watched.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have my stuff ordered just waiting on it to come in.. i'm hoping it goes as smoothly as the video makes it seem. thanks for the advice on starting from the bottom. i'm also installing front speakers. is removing the door panels a pretty straight forward process?
The_bearded_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.