How To: Window Crank Removal with a shop rag - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Default How To: Window Crank Removal with a shop rag

I looked around here and didn't see a How To posted on window crank removal without the specialty tool, so I thought that I'd make one.

If you go to other place's how to sites, all they do to tell you how to remove your window crank with a rag is;

"Use a shop rag with a "shoeshine" motion to release C clip on rear of crank and remove".

Well, I don't know about you guys, but this is not exactly descriptive for the ones who have never done this before. So, I give you pictures........

First off, I put a flat head screw driver in behind the window crank to make space between the window crank and the plastic ring so the rag will squeeze in there.

Here is a close up pic of where the screw driver needs to go and you can see the clear plastic ring that needs to be pushed back.

Now take your shop rag. Hold one corner in each hand and slowly work it between the crank and the plastic ring as you can see in this pic.

Now after you make sure that the rag is in place, remove the screw driver. If you look closely you can see the rag in between the plastic ring and the crank.

Now that the rag is in place, you can start doing the shoe shine thing with it. Make sure that you are holding on to the corners of the rag as you go back and forth. You might have to move the rag around in order to grab the clip. Once you get the clip off, you will notice that the crank pops out slightly. Once you pull it off, you will see this.........

This little clip is what is keeping your window crank in place. Once the rag grabs ahold of it and you do your shoe shine technique, it will come off.

Upon reinstalling the window crank, you must remove the clear plastic ring, reinstall the clip into it's slots(you can see them if you look closely on the crank), then reinstall the clear ring. At this point, all you have to do is to push the crank back on.

It's really an easy process that should take no more than 5 minutes tops after you've got the hang of how to do it.

Enjoy!

2.8L 5 speed manual

Dynomax Super Turbo muffler
K&N drop in air filter
factory snorkel replaced by 3" pipe
Mr. Tailight High/Low/Fog Light Kit
91CavGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Carbuster Send a message via MSN to Carbuster Send a message via Yahoo to Carbuster

I added it to the sticky at the top.
Carbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the good info.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 96Z28

Thanks for the tip...I'm putting some new speakers in my truck this weekend and will be needing it. I have always used just a screwdriver in the past and it was always a pain in the ass!
96Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Stepdaddy

wow, i wish this was posted about a year ago...i used a awl and a flat head...not the best choice but worked...this looks alot nicer, ill try it tomarrow

http://www.HOU355.com

Remember kids, its not what you know - but who you know; and how much brown-nosing you do.

rangerbob

“What a pompous ass you are. I think you beat out me and Dillusion.”
Stepdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I saw this in the sticky, cool trick. You can also just spend a few dollars and buy the tool.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: How To: Window Crank Removal with a shop rag

i just use a flat head...no rag. i just grab the horseshoe shaped part and pop it out.

Georgia Chapter Member
Lifted Member 164
2004 Colly Z71 Reg Cab (2WD)
31x10.5R15 BFG A/T K/Os
Hunter Brush Guard With KC Longrange
Kennesaw Mountain Accessories
UWS Blacklabel Slimline
Homemade Kayak Rack
Rhino Lined
JVC Arsenal iPod Compatible Head Unit
Sirius Sportster 4 Sat. Radio
MB Quartz Components in the Doors
Fosgate 300.1 Monoblock
Polk 10"

http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/g...?user_id=16405

didn't realize that facebook albums are only visible to facebook members. links = trash. i'll see what i can do to get them up in another album.
Georgiaz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to atxcoloradofan Send a message via Yahoo to atxcoloradofan

it was a good idea, i did it last weekend when i put in my new 250 watt sony xplods in the doors, which i got to say sound a **** of alot better then those shitty stock 15 watt speakers!

Mud Club Member #19
Lifted Club Member #195
atxcoloradofan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to MCWHAMMER

I wanted to let everyone know that this FAQ was a HUGE help to me. I started to take my door panel off because the geniuses at Chevrolet decided the best place for a cupholder was directly next to the speaker. As expected, at some point a Cheerwine cup popped it's lid in the toddler-sized cupholder, leading my entire speaker to become doused in soda.

After getting stuck on the window crank, I said "Oh no, I REALLY do not want to give my money to those morons at the dealership". Thankfully, with some searching and anxiety, I found this thread. I was able to get the crank off and install a replacement speaker in less than 1 Hour of work (I did it slowly to make sure I wasn't breaking anything else).

The window crank ended up being the easiest part of the process.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Or you could spend 10 bucks and buy the correct tool and have it forever. But a nice trick if your in a pinch
retired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.