Replacing thermostat - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Replacing thermostat

Recently I have noticed that my temperature has been fluctuating dramatically and I am hoping that it is a bad thermostat. The gauge is normally just below the 1/2 mark when warmed to normal operating temp. Recently if I hit WOT, the gauge will drop to almost 1/4. I have never noticed this behavior until recently. The other thing that I am hoping it is related to is an issue I have been having of the torque converter not engaging, so my rpms are higher than they should be. Anyway, can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located so I can replace it? I am sure that I can find the correct one, however if someone knows any part numbers, that would be great too.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks.
Conservative Club Member #33

http://www.coloradofans.com/album_perso ... er_id=6484
timmyj_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just follow the upper radiator hose to the engine. This engine uses a thermostat that has a built-on housing --- therefore it is more expensive than what you may be used to paying for a thermostat. I believe it is around $20. Good luck!
Toyo Open Country H/T's
Herculiner bed coating
xseler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it drops to 1/4 then rises back up to 1/2 mark, then everything sounds normal. It's been discussed here many times, especially if you live in cold climates (Chicago ?), but I couldn't find any threads thru the search engine. . The t-stat is located under the intake, behind the alternator. Follow the hose at the bottom of the radiator, drivers side, to the engine block. The A/C part # is 12579956 (4.14.2005).

2012 Pure Silver SLE CrewCab|3.7/auto 3:73|K&N filter|Dynomax 17749|AVT 89 Tune|OPT corvette servo|4-Blade Clutch Fan|B&M TransCooler|ScanGaugeII|Truxedo Truxport cover|1/2" drop blocks|2000 Silverado Rims w/Discoverer H/T 255/65/16|Belltech 9900 sway bar kt

RIP 3.24.2012 2005 White Z85CrewCab I5/Auto 3:42's|PCMforless 87 Tune|Jet-Servo|B&M Trans SuperCooler|Air Box Mod w/K&N|Dynomax 17749|Interceptor Scan Gauge|Black Maxx|Homemade 1/2" drop blocks|2009 Z85 rims
NewColy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, but that second pic cracks me up....

Looks like a spring loaded silver bullet. hehehehe
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses and also the pictures. Thats great. I am not sure what would be normal or not. Today was 65 though and after driving for over half and hour to have the temp drop that much seems rather abnormal. I am really just trying to figure out what my torque converter issue is and this being the least expensive option, I thought I would try this first. If there is a problem with the temperature, it seems somewhat logical that it could be influencing the computer temps and possibly not allowing the torque converter to engage. I am really hoping and guessing here. Anyway, thanks again.
Conservative Club Member #33

http://www.coloradofans.com/album_perso ... er_id=6484
timmyj_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

I take it you've already checked the fluid levels for the transmission, but have you checked your battery voltage?

http://coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t ... ansmission
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it only does it at WOT, the t-stat is probably OK. When you hit WOT, you are circulating the slightly colder coolant rather quickly from the radiator into your engine. This is probably what you are seeing on your temp gauge. I also poked around in HP Tuners - I didn't see where torque converter lockup was temperature related. Other than that, I have absolutely 0 knowledge of auto tranny's.
ulmerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

x2 ulmerc

timmyj:

Perhaps a loose connection somewhere....

On my way to Indiana yesterday for an appointment I crested a hill - hopped a little and came down hard....my gauages zeroed and then came back up - but the truck would no longer shift into overdrive....when I came to a stop sign and tried to start out it seemed to start out in 2nd....so no first or OD. I shut the truck off to reset and it did on the third try.... It ran fine the rest of the day... American Chevrolet in Muncie said should be no prob to drive but they did not have anyone to look at it....

Sorry, for the long post. Taking it to local dealer today....

Keep us posted...
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

has anybody found a higher temp t-stat yet, i always run just below a qtr on the gauge an the one time i ran higher (1/2) i got decent mileage, so i think i could get better mileage with a higher one
lifted club member #7, gun toting american#1
04 canyon sle reg cab z71 3.5l(traded for a 07 silverado)
71 triumph gt-6 3.0tt nissan w/650hp!!!(approx 850lb car)
67.5 datsun srl-311 2.0 roadster

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215008
fixitman04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitman04
has anybody found a higher temp t-stat yet, i always run just below a qtr on the gauge an the one time i ran higher (1/2) i got decent mileage, so i think i could get better mileage with a higher one
I almost wonder if your thermostat isn't slightly defective and opening at around 160 instead of 180. Maybe try picking one up and replacing it? See if it makes a difference?
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.