HVAC Fan Motor: Resistor & Connector replacement (MMP) - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBow986
i very well may do a video how-to of this write up of this issue, because a gentleman came in today at advance auto parts and i told him what this was, supposedly he should be registering here tonight or tomorrow so i can get him the part numbers off of GM parts direct. he was very pleased that i knew what exactly was wrong, i'd honestly like to help him change it out if i get the chance
A video would be awesome :)

2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85 LS, 5spd, 2.8L (daily driver)
2001 Mustang GT Coupe, Auto (weekend)
2005 Toyota Matrix Xr (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to mwlebbin
2005 GMX Canyon

This is happening on my 2005 Canyon. The fan will cycle different speeds on 1-3 but works fine on #4. I am in the process of working with the dealer. I have 45k miles on the truck. But they are going to fix it because I was complaining about this WAY before 36k miles.

I am half tempted to get rid of this truck.

Thanks,

Mark
post #23 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2005 GMX Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlebbin
This is happening on my 2005 Canyon. The fan will cycle different speeds on 1-3 but works fine on #4. I am in the process of working with the dealer. I have 45k miles on the truck. But they are going to fix it because I was complaining about this WAY before 36k miles.

Thanks,

Mark
Toss the truck for a $40 repair and 20 minutes of repair time?

I hope you have some other issues that brought you to that decision.. :)

post #24 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob
I will probably be called a fanboi for this:

But comments like the one above about ditching the truck over a minor problem really strike me as ridiculous.

05 Canyon EC SLE - I5M Z71 GT4
V1 | FRAM Boost+RamAir | LED + HAW Strobes | BFG 33-12.5-15
Rancho | Bubaloo Skidz | MBRP Dumped System
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
post #25 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 PM

I have to admit that it is ridiculous to get rid of the truck but there have been other issues. I was just venting. I would think GM would have a recall on that due to a potential fire hazard???

Other issues --

- rattles, they finally found that it was a loose bracket under the hood.

- the fuse box has had to be replaced,

- the dash has gone "dark" and I don't mean just the lights, the tach shows "0" the speedomter "0" fuel gauge shows empty, and the temp gauge goes to cold. then when you hit the turn signal it all turns back on.

- This fan problem

Other than that it has been ok :). Plus the other factor is I am driving about 80-100 miles a day and have been tempted to get a little Vibe and then get a beater truck for around town.

That was my frustration there... most likely I won't get rid of it.. but between the wife and I we are spending 25-30$ a day in gas :(..

Another question -- I treat this truck well. Use Mobile one synthetic etc etc... how many miles are we expected to get out of these I5's? If I keep it (which I am leaning towards) I am hoping to get 150-175k miles. Is this reasonable?

Thanks... great forum.. I felt much better knowing that others were havingthis problem.

Mark

mwlebbin wrote:

Thanks,

Mark

Toss the truck for a $40 repair and 20 minutes of repair time? Confused

I hope you have some other issues that brought you to that decision.. Smile
post #26 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 PM

In case anyone is curious.. GM paid for the work 170.00 even with 46k miles. They replaces the harness, resistor, and the fan itself.

Now if the engine holds up and the intake valves don't cause any problem, I should be in good shape.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to find a replacement switch for the power windows? My driver side window feels like it is about to go.

Thanks

Mark
post #27 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlebbin
In case anyone is curious.. GM paid for the work 170.00 even with 46k miles. They replaces the harness, resistor, and the fan itself.

Now if the engine holds up and the intake valves don't cause any problem, I should be in good shape.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to find a replacement switch for the power windows? My driver side window feels like it is about to go.

Thanks

Mark
Glad you got yours fixed. I had my resistor replaced under warranty and it still didn't fix mine. If you window is getting slow it may be the motor.

I purchased a new complete harness and resistor. No splicing. $51 shipped. Here are a few pics.

[siteimg]23252[/siteimg]
[siteimg]23253[/siteimg]
[siteimg]23254[/siteimg]

The new one looks just like the old one so I don't know how long it will hold up.

The part number for the harness is 89019124. $20 at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

Conservative Club Member #35

My Gallery
post #28 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong
[siteimg]23252[/siteimg]

The new one looks just like the old one so I don't know how long it will hold up.

The part number for the harness is 89019124. $20 at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
Thanks for sharing bro. I added the wiring harness part number to the original write up. If you have a detailed writeup of how you did it, I would be more than happy to include it in the original write up also... ;)
post #29 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:50 PM

Ok, a dumb question and a dumb comment...

1) What do you use to crimp the wire?

2) Isn't the plastic tubing that comes on the GM connectors actually heat shrinkable? The directions say it is.

2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85 LS, 5spd, 2.8L (daily driver)
2001 Mustang GT Coupe, Auto (weekend)
2005 Toyota Matrix Xr (wife's)
post #30 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Wire stripper / crimper:

post #31 of 460 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 PM

HVAC

This has happened twice since buying my 04 ext cab. Was replaced under warranty both times. They also replaced the fan motor both times as well since it was rattling the first time and making strange noises the second time.

After looking at the photos of the connector burn it reminded me of the problem with the connectors for the daytime running lights as well. They were burnt and also had to be replaced!

VinD
post #32 of 460 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 PM

Just a quick note, and my first post; I had the same problem at 37k the dealer wouldn't warranty it so I had my friendly mechanic come by and he showed me the resistor was burnt out.

Replacing it is only half the problem since the connector wire is burnt too, However I was able to use a dental probe to scratch off the burnt stuff and reuse the connector. Some may want to try this instead of paying 20 for a new harness "IF" it is lightly fried.

2007 Gmc New Sierra Z71 Crewcab

post #33 of 460 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to marbles454
i have the same problem with my harness. i just havent gotten around to doin anything about it.....i think using dielectric grease will help the problem when replacing the harness. itll keep any arching that occurs to a minimal

2006 Trailblazer SS
Grounded 355 member #75
2004 ZQ8 Colorado Crew Cab (sold)
1991 S-10 Reg. Cab (cash for clunker trade in) :)

http://www.myspace.com/zq8colorado
post #34 of 460 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 PM
kdb

Send a message via Yahoo to kdb
HVAC again

Happen to me today, just a long list of problems with my 04. With this being a known problem, u would think we would get a letter on this known problem too.

2004 ZQ8 Red
Flowmaster 40
Bedrug
Pioneer 6.5's
Lakewood Traction bars
Bass in a Bottle NOS
Pioneer 750watt amp

http://www.coloradofans.com/album_perso ... er_id=1178
post #35 of 460 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to HomerJ1970 Send a message via Yahoo to HomerJ1970
My heater fan just gave it up on settings 1-3 a few days ago, i will inspect the parts and the connector for any issues on the weekend,thanks for the great thread.
post #36 of 460 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 PM

I have 135,000 on my 04 with just minor issues. The only thing it has been in the shop for is this problem. The mechaninc replaced the relay and a couple weeks later 1-3 were dead again. I will try to replace all of the parts listed above. Also needs new rotors. Gonna try to replace them tonight.
Thanks,

2004 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
post #37 of 460 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to marbles454
i replaced my resistor about 2 weeks ago, its been fine ever since. my harness looked good so i left the original on. perfect timing too, cause cold weather is here so my heat is on all the time now.

2006 Trailblazer SS
Grounded 355 member #75
2004 ZQ8 Colorado Crew Cab (sold)
1991 S-10 Reg. Cab (cash for clunker trade in) :)

http://www.myspace.com/zq8colorado
post #38 of 460 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Here we go with another ing problem!!! Arrrrh, I am really dissappointed with my truck too.
I bought mine used off the lot, assuming it would be like my old "90" S-10, a rugged battle axe.
Nothing doing, this "Truck" if it can be called such, is tempermental, underpowered, and cruddy gas
mileage to boot. I will surely rethink buying a GM product again. Now to my point, those of you who can
build electronic circuits, may consider making a PWM power supply to control the fan motor. Here is a
schematic that I have used for 30 amp motors on other projects with great success.

U1=555 timer IC
D1, D2, D3=1N4001 diode
C1, C2=100 micro farad, 20V.D.C. electrolytic capacitor (Tantalum OK)
C3=1 micro farad, 20 Volt D.C. electrolytic capacitor (Tantalum OK)
R1=33,000 ohm 1/8watt resistor
R2=50,000 ohm variable resisitor
R3, R4, R5= .1 ohm, 2watt wirewound resistor
R6=1000 ohm, 1/8watt resistor
All transistors=TIP-3055 in heatsinks

It is best to house the circuit inside of a plastic enclosure with vent holes to allow air to flow over the transistors
heatsinks. Each Transistor should be sinked to a 1/8th" x 2" x 2" aluminum plate. The transistors should
be insulated electrically from the heat sinks, with special mylar film insulators. All the parts can be bought at
Radio Shack for around 35-45 dollars.

Close is only good in horseshoes, grenades, and nuclear warheads...
post #39 of 460 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM

My 04 Canyon's fan switch 1234 settings worked fine this mornings cold startup and during trip to work, but when I started it for the commute home and the 1,2,3 settings were INOP. I restarted the engine and still nothing. So, I thought to myself, oh here we go. The next day I research this thread and went out to check my harness. Decide to switch the ignition on first and then noticed the 123 & 4 settings were working again. What? I checked the harness, but did not remove the plug, because the were no noticeable wires burnt... Does this mean my resistor is on the way out? I have got 40K on my Canyon. I am going to go ahead and order the parts so when the resistor does blow I will have the parts on hand to fix it. It is getting too cold and running fan on setting 4 is like (All or Nothing)
post #40 of 460 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM

I have the exact same problem jaybee. The connector and the resistor look fine, but only setting 4 works. Did you figure out what was the ploblem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode