HVAC Fan Motor: Resistor & Connector replacement (MMP) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HVAC Fan Motor: Resistor & Connector replacement (MMP)

Disclaimer: "Please use caution and seek professional assistance when necessary. ColoradoFans.com, myself and all associated members are not responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm which may occur with this modification. This post does not reflect the views of ColoradoFans.com and it's ownership." Before attempting this modification, it is advised to verify your Colorado or Canyon service manual or a certified mechanic, as not all GMT 355's are the same!

A cFans Members Mod Projects/How-To by Canyon08Z71/philmiami/jlong/ssgjurista

Skill Level: Easy

Make: GMC
Model: Canyon SLE 4WD
Year: 2004

HVAC Fan Motor: Resistor & Connector replacement.

Note:

The resistor needs to be purchased to complete repair. You can either decide to splice in a replacement connector or replace the entire wiring harness. See photos below.

ADDITIONAL NOTE:

This repair is required to fix damaged components in the HVAC. **THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM** See the following link to the portion of this thread with information on fixing the real issue:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48293&start=137

GM Parts list:

Resistor - p/n 15218254 $8.59*

Connector - p/n 15306069 $30.70*

Wiring harness - p/n 89019124 $20 *

or
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
It's easier to replace with the glovebox out of the way. gmpartsdirect has the harness and resistor as a package deal.
Their part number is PK15218254.

* listed on GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

HVAC Fan Motor Legend:

1 - Resistor
2 - Blower Motor Cooling Tube
3 - Blower Motor
4 - Blower Motor Electrical Connector
5 - HVAC system

Legend:

1 - Blower motor resistor electrical connector
2 - Blower motor resistor
3 - Blower motor

HVAC Resistor Wiring Harness Legend:

1) Evaporator Temperature Sensor (C60)
(2) C203 (I/P Harness to the HVAC Harness)
(3) Recirculation Actuator (C60)
(4) Blower Motor
(5) S202
(6) Blower Motor Resistor Assembly

Electrical Schematic:

Work Area: Passenger side part of the dash (underneath glove box).

Canyon04Z71's Repair

Symptoms: Truck cold (first start of the day in Winter temps), no HVAC fan motor setting #1 through #3 available. Only setting #4 worked to turn the fan on. Once the truck was warmed up, the HVAC fan motor settings #1 through #4 worked fine.

Problem found:

Burnt up terminals for the resistor and connector. Plastic housing for resistor and connector melted.

philmiami's repair

My fan control quit working on setting 3. After I had a dealership replace the blower motor because of the whining noise it made when it was still under 3/36 warranty the problem began. Sometimes I would have to reach under the dash and push up the connector because the fan would quit working, most of the time while driving. It was very annoying.
I went and looked and the BLUE wire was changing to burnt looking I new it was the resistor going bad. It really melted the connector. I went to rockauto.com and their catalog is superb in looking for parts for most vehicles.

I ordered the parts, a new connector (which was 3 times the amount of the resistor) and resistor ($9) and got them shipped 2 day fedex. The connector comes with gray wires so don't mix up the colors when you cut them and it comes with 4 butt-end connectors so this was a easy fix.

jlong's Repair (using replacement harness):

AVT @ Facebook
Canyon08Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Were those parts redesigned? Does it replace the whole harness or do you have to splice it in?

Thanks for the info.

BTW I replaced my temp sensor.
Conservative Club Member #35

My Gallery
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have had mine replaced TWICE, under warranty. Is there a sturdier or better part I can purchase?

Thanks.
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong
Were those parts redesigned? Does it replace the whole harness or do you have to splice it in?
I am not sure if there was redesign on the parts. Both my resistor pin/housing and the connector pin/housing were damaged beyond repair. The terminals were melted in there and not able to be removed, so the best option was to replace both to ensure a good connection and longevity of the repair.

The connector has to be butt spliced to the existing wiring harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passafist
I have had mine replaced TWICE, under warranty. Is there a sturdier or better part I can purchase?
Those are the only part numbers I know that are available for purchase. Did you have both the connector and resistor replaced or just the resistor?

So far I have has no problems with the repair. I will get around to taking mine back out to inspect the condition of the terminals for some feedback to you guys.
AVT @ Facebook
Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I replaced my resistor a few weeks ago and I'm having problems with it again already. I am thinking I should do the resistor and the connector at this point.

Is replacing the connector straightfoward? I am a rookie at a lot of this.
Rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrunner
Is replacing the connector straightfoward? I am a rookie at a lot of this.
Clip the wires (see photo) but stagger the cuts to get the old connector out. Butt splice each wire to the new connector and crimp em down. Not too difficult, IMO, with a wire stripping/crimping tool. Electrical tape up the new section and tuck the harness back out of view.
AVT @ Facebook
Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

That'll be an easy job then. I just wasn't sure if there was more to it than that. Thanks for the help.
Rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Replaced resistor pack ($15 @ dealer). Lasted exactly 7 days. Dealer swapped the resistor pack out- no charge- imagine that! Same pins as shown in photo above is 'burnt' looking so I replaced the 'pigtail'connector and resistor pack at the same time. Nice price on the GMPARTSDIRECT. Pigtail was $41 at the dealer. I've still just about had it with this truck.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

i very well may do a video how-to of this write up of this issue, because a gentleman came in today at advance auto parts and i told him what this was, supposedly he should be registering here tonight or tomorrow so i can get him the part numbers off of GM parts direct. he was very pleased that i knew what exactly was wrong, i'd honestly like to help him change it out if i get the chance

Gun Toting American Club Member #5
2007 TOTW Winner Week #21
LongBow986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can come change mine while your at it! *Knock on wood* I haven't had any trouble with mine in a few weeks... There should be a part number for the whole harness. When I replaced my temp sensor The sub harness for the resistor plugged into the main harness right behind the glove box. It seams easier to replace the whole sub harness.
Conservative Club Member #35

My Gallery
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.