HOW TO: TB (Throttle Body) Cleaning (WITH PICS!) - UPDATED - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 344 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Good writeup!

This is the best thing maintenance wise ive done for my truck!

Former UNDER 21 CLUB MEMBER #43
Z71ON on YouTube

2005 Colorado Z71 4X4
2007 Honda TRX400EX
2001 Honda CR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 344 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Excellent writeup!!!

2006 Chevrolet Colorado, 4X4, Crew Cab, 3.5L, Victory Red, K&N 63 Series Intake, Skidz
post #23 of 344 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Glad I could help out!!

Black Betty is long gone...

'07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (It's got a HEMI!)

GunTotingAmerican #37

post #24 of 344 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:03 PM

performed my cleaning today of just the throttle body and these directions here right on!!! the only mishap is that the little grey keeper or clasp on the wire harness shot off and can't be found. I didn't think this was a separate piece otherwise I would have disconnected over a towel. if anyone knows if there is a part number to this or what would need to be replaced please post and I can visit my dealer on Monday.

as far as the specs - the truck recv'd two P0506's for low idle at 49,750 miles and while sitting at a dead stop my rpms were just a hair over 500. now after the cleaning they appear to be in the 625-650 range depending on how you view the needle.

thanks guys !!!
post #25 of 344 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

It really isn't a separate piece. It's meant to slide out just enough to allow the little tang on the plug to disengage from the TB. It's purpose is to help keep the plug firmly fastened to the TB. Your best bet would be to find it in a parts yard..... I'm betting the stealership would make you buy a whole new harness for that little piece.

GunTotingAmerican #37
post #26 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mikey D Send a message via MSN to Mikey D Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey D
Thank god I found this, my 04 is at the dealer with rough idle. They suggested cleaning the throttle body, changing spark plugs, and fuel filter at a cost of $650. I told them thanks but no thanks. Having them replace the belt and oil change since it's already there. When I get it back today I'm going to do this and hopefully clear up my idle problems. My truck only has 52,000 miles on it as an 04 so hopefully this does the trick.

My one question on feeding the Seafoam through the intake and throttle body via funnel and tubing, do you just let the tube rest just a bit before the butterfly while it's running or at the joint where the intake and the TB meet?
post #27 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I just snaked the tubing up as far as I could get it... which was right at the butterfly. With it at idle, the butterfly will be open a bit, so getting the Seafoam through shouldn't be a problem. I had a little assistance, and I had her run the truck just a hair over idle.

However, PLEASE do this with caution, and read the notes and warnings at the beginning of the process. I don't want to see anyone screw up their engine. It really shouldn't be a problem otherwise, but do be careful.

Good luck with that Mikey! I hope we can save you that cash!!!

GunTotingAmerican #37
post #28 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mikey D Send a message via MSN to Mikey D Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey D
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpnBnanaMn
I just snaked the tubing up as far as I could get it... which was right at the butterfly. With it at idle, the butterfly will be open a bit, so getting the Seafoam through shouldn't be a problem. I had a little assistance, and I had her run the truck just a hair over idle.

However, PLEASE do this with caution, and read the notes and warnings at the beginning of the process. I don't want to see anyone screw up their engine. It really shouldn't be a problem otherwise, but do be careful.

Good luck with that Mikey! I hope we can save you that cash!!!
Thanks for the quick reply, definitely will heed those warnings, had read over this thread a few times last night and a couple other ones regarding seafoam and its use on other cars so I'm definitely going to play it safe and slow with it, while running of course :D
post #29 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

GREAT!! Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

GunTotingAmerican #37
post #30 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:15 PM

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a PCM update for the rough idle condition? The dealer had it listed as a recommended item, I'm wondering if it will help alleviate this condition from happening under such relatively low mileage again.
post #31 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Finally got around to this today, TB was pretty dirty some before and after pics. Unfortunately the rough idle has only been slightly improved, my dad has a contact in the service department at a different dealership and gave him a ring asking about it. First thing the guy said was the cylinder head issue, we're going to take it to him in a week or two and have him do the extended warranty work. It really pisses me off because I specifically told the dealership where I bought the truck to check for that. They apparently didn't and that will be the last time I visit them. Anyway here are the before and after pics, first three are before last three are after.

post #32 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to orangebangZ71
good writeup

04 sunburst orange metallic 3.5L I5 4.11
K&N FIPK, mickey thompson MTZ 315/75/16, rock cralwer street locs 152, wolo air horns
IRONWORKERS LOCAL 433
post #33 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 AM

when you guys refer to "rough idle" are you talking about the truck running rough with rpms jumping all around or just low rpm's? my truck was idling around 500 but wasn't jumping or felt rough. after the TB cleaning it idles at just about 650.

just curious......
post #34 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

It could be either. My truck was idling rough, and, especially at a light or something, when the engine was warm, would chug, and threaten to stall, then recover. But it sounds like yours was heading down the same path, just hadn't made it to the rough part yet. Glad this helped!!

GunTotingAmerican #37
post #35 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Well..I did this to mine last night. I only had 40k miles on the truck but was running into issues while braking wher the truck would try to stall out. After doing the engine clean and TB clean, i dont have anymore issues. Thanks for the great writeup..
post #36 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:03 PM

I think this is what I need to do. Can I do a good job of cleaning the TB without removing it? Everytime I stop at a red light my engine idles down like it wants to cut off, then picks back up to normal idle. It happens very fast, but I can feel the rough idle for a milli-second. I have removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with some CRC cleaner. I noticed an immediate improvement in "pick-up", but I still have problems with the idle.

Clyde - Tallahassee, FL
post #37 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 PM

TB cleaning

I have a problem with the tac jumping up and down when i release the accelerator. It never shuts off but it is annoying as hell and makes the truck sound stupid. Now this does not happen all of the time.... usually happens when I get it started and begin moving down the road. As soon as I get to a stop sign then it jumps up and down like it does not know what to do. Will cleaning the TB fix this problem or is this a problem caused by something else. I do have a K&N intake, and TB spacer on my machine, and I have also cleaned the mass airflow sensor a few times. So I am confused on what I need to do so that this problem stops.
post #38 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeWigg3
I think this is what I need to do. Can I do a good job of cleaning the TB without removing it? Everytime I stop at a red light my engine idles down like it wants to cut off, then picks back up to normal idle. It happens very fast, but I can feel the rough idle for a milli-second. I have removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with some CRC cleaner. I noticed an immediate improvement in "pick-up", but I still have problems with the idle.
Take the throttle body off to do a 100% complete job of cleaning it. Do it once, do it right. Well, until another 30k, then do it the right way, again. :D
post #39 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 PM

My hat is off to you CpnBnanaMn. This worked so well I am in aww. My truck runs so much better now; it is almost like I added an extra performance part.

And nobody should be worried about putting too much seafoam into the funnel, just use some common sense and go to your kitchen an grab a measuring cup and put only 5.33 oz into it, and then pour.

I guess my engine was so saturated with carbon that it shut itself off, and I had to restart it to pour the rest in. And it smoked over 30min after I waited the 5min to restart. I then poured the rest of the can into the fuel tank after thoroughly cleaning the TB.
post #40 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Great Performance Improvement!!

Thanks everyone. I cleaned my TB this morning and couldn't beleive the increase in perfomance. It starts easier and idles higher. The belt tensinior was squeeling a little at start-up, but now that it idles higher it no longer makes any noise. I couldn't get the clips undone so I lef them attached and just layed the TB over on some towels. I covered the plastic parts on the clips with "cling wrap" and went to town. The back side of the TB was so nasty it looked like the inside of the crankcase. No wonder it ran so poorly. I didn't have any Seafoam but will run that through the system next. Can't beleive I went to the dealer with this problem and they wanted about $265 to clean everything out. I said "thanks, but no thanks", and saved my money. Total cost of this job - about $4 in CRC TB Cleaner, and $6 in MAF Sensor Cleaner. I am one happy camper!!! :D

Clyde - Tallahassee, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode