Dead battery after 4 or 5 days of not driving it - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to OMAREN
Default Dead battery after 4 or 5 days of not driving it

Hello everyone, I have a '05 Colorado LS Z75 Crew Cab. Since day 1 the battery goes dead after 3 or 4 days with not driving the truck since I also own a Chevy Aveo to buzz around town, as soon as I jump the battery, the truck starts and the door locks and the driver's widows don't work for a couple of hours up to three days then starts working again. I took the truck to the dealer for a couple of times for the same reason and they just only swap the battery for a new one but this doesn't seem to be the reason for the failure (in fact, they swapped the battery 3 times). The last time I went to the dealer for same reason, the kept the truck for two days and they said that there was some aftermarket device (such as radar detector or portable GPS) that I had in the car was draining the battery, I took the truck home and disconected all the devices and charged the battery all night long, then didn't drive the truck for 4 days and it happened again!! Dead battery!!! It looks that something is wrong with the electric system and of course dealer don't want to deal with it. Any ideas? Thank you [/b]
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan

There was another member here with an '08 that the dealer discovered there was a 5 amp draw AFTER they removed the fuse box. After their research, they found that the cable going from the battery to the alternator was resting on the alternator housing and causing an inductive draw. Once the cable was re-routed the draw was gone.

http://coloradofans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53553

DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I checked the wire that goes to the alternator and seems not touching anything on it. I also disconnected all after market devices including the HU and fully charged the battery to see what happens. I'm going to let it sit all day long. I'll post what happened.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK, I let the car sit for the whole day with the battery charged, all devices disconnected and stock radio back in the slot, after all day long without driving it...still I got a dead battery. I also checked the wire that goes from the battery to the alternator and everything looks good...What else could be?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Dillusion

I suggest doing more than just looking.

Bust out the multimeter. It may look ok but its not.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

The multimeter is fine because I have 2 and they show the same digits when reading. I will disconnect a cable that is running from the battery to the amplifier which is behind the backseat. That's the only option that I just thought. I will update tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your battery was charged and everything disconnected, did you have the positive and negetive cables off of the battery? If so you have bad cell in the battery, if not check the link on the second post in this thread. The wire doesn't have to touch anything for an inductive load.
2003 Tracker Pro-Guide Deep V-16
40 hp4st. Mercury.
2009 KLX250s Sunbeam Red
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb205/randylo/
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMAREN
The multimeter is fine because I have 2 and they show the same digits when reading. I will disconnect a cable that is running from the battery to the amplifier which is behind the backseat. That's the only option that I just thought. I will update tomorrow and see what happens.
You never said you used a multimeter. Just looked.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMAREN
You never said you used a multimeter. Just looked.
You mention it (the multimeter) in your first post, that's why I confirm it Dillusion. but thanks for the note, I just came up with a second idea after checking the wires. :) .

Right now the battery is fully charged (again !!) this time I will disconnect the battery from the system and see if it discharges by itself as Randy suggested and see what happens, if the battery goes dead, definitely I have a bad cell. but if this hypothesis is true, then coould it be possible that three brand new batteries have a bad cell? I know that there is something in the car that is drawing power from the battery and killing it. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes its possible that all your batteries have dead cells. Chevy keeps giving them POS's in our trucks. If it is a dead cell I suggest an Optima.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.