reduced power issue HELP please - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default reduced power issue HELP please

my 05' I4 colorado has been giving me much problems here of lately. When my engine is cool , in example , sitting over night, trying to start it becomes a nightmare. It will start and stay running for about 3-4 seconds and quit with REDUCED POWER on the DIC. Ive tried cleaning the throttle body as with the instructions on the forum, but it seems to me like some sort of choke issue, due to it only giving me problems with a cold motor.And after about 15-20 minutes of cranking it, the engine will warm up and run normal. I'm just curious if someone could help me troubleshoot the problem.. thank you
paceflman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

It could be a bad battery. These trucks are known for defective batteries and the cold weather drains the battery down. Try putting a battery charger on it overnight and see if it still acts up. Oh, and Welcome to the site!
My Garage garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_vehicle&VID=409

Diff Guards For Sale: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=73981
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

i dont know about now but when i first got my 06 i had similar problems and when i took it to the dealership they had to replace the computer twice because of similar problems
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem. Yesterday i went to start the truck and the CEL came on as did REDUCED POWER. I have my own scanner and tried to check and clear the codes. For some reason it would not clear the REDUCED POWER codes (P2135 and P213. So off to the dealership i went. First they thought i was the battery, which it wasn't. So then they said it was the PCM, well after trying a new PCM they found out that that wasn't the problem either and at this point the mechanic is shaking his head as to what the problem could be. So they put my PCM back in and replaced the Throttle Postion Sensor and what do you know, the truck runs like brand new again. Before this i was getting rough idle, hard starts and codes for the Evap. Emissions Sensor. Now they have all gone away just from replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. Anyway save yourself and the dealership some headaches and mention this to them.
lk2064 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Reduced Power does not mean that the battery is producing low voltage. It means that the PCM has detected a problem and is protecting the engine through producing reduced torque.
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I got that same message this morning when I cranked it up at -33f. I had the truck plugged in all night, but it was still cold at that temp. It started right up, then started surging from 300 to 1000rpms but barely kept running, like it was running on 2 cylinders. The dic said traction fault and reduced power. I let it warm up for 20 minutes, and even at operating temp, it still ran as bad. I drove down the road at 25mph, it wouldn't go any faster. I stopped after a mile, turned it off, waited a minute and started it back up, then it ran fine except for the check engine light that won't go off now. When i got up this afternoon, the temp outside had warmed up to -12f, so I tried it again, it had been plugged in all day, and the same problem occured, so I'll let it sit and have it checked this Friday.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk2064
I had the same problem. Yesterday i went to start the truck and the CEL came on as did REDUCED POWER. I have my own scanner and tried to check and clear the codes. For some reason it would not clear the REDUCED POWER codes (P2135 and P213. So off to the dealership i went. First they thought i was the battery, which it wasn't. So then they said it was the PCM, well after trying a new PCM they found out that that wasn't the problem either and at this point the mechanic is shaking his head as to what the problem could be. So they put my PCM back in and replaced the Throttle Postion Sensor and what do you know, the truck runs like brand new again. Before this i was getting rough idle, hard starts and codes for the Evap. Emissions Sensor. Now they have all gone away just from replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. Anyway save yourself and the dealership some headaches and mention this to them.
**** it, REDUCED POWER is back so much for it being the Throttle body, or the Throttle Position Sensor wasn't the battery and wasn't the PCM. So now i have to go back to the dealership after having already spent $600 to fix this problem and let them find out what the real problem is. This is getting so ridiculous, i bought this truck brand new in 04 and i have had so many problems its not even funny. Of course this month is my last payment on the truck and i will definately be getting rid of it. Sorry to say but this truck is a piece of S@#t.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Quote:
Quote:
[img]/forum/images/smiles/censored.gif[/img] it, REDUCED POWER is back so much for it being the Throttle body, or the Throttle Position Sensor wasn't the battery and wasn't the PCM. So now i have to go back to the dealership after having already spent $600 to fix this problem and let them find out what the real problem is. This is getting so ridiculous, i bought this truck brand new in 04 and i have had so many problems its not even funny. Of course this month is my last payment on the truck and i will definately be getting rid of it. Sorry to say but this truck is a piece of S@#t.
You're welcome to your opinion. This is why I don't buy the first MY of anything. My 05 has been awesome - some minor problems but that's it.
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I hear the 05's and 06's are fine and i'm not saying saying all Colorado's aren't good. I'm saying that the one i have is a peice of S@$t. I'm so glad i'm on my last payment and can be free from the headaches after i go through one more headache,lol.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: reduced power issue HELP please

Hey dude you find out the problem yet....i got same problem 06 colorado I4 70k...sometimes wont start...then 15 mins...fires right up....and while im driving it will drop a P2138 or P060E DTC right into reduced power...ive got a scangaugeII tho so i erase the code on the fly...But this problem is bugging the **** outta me. As for the bulletin...battery
is fine..**** i even put one in...and the IP to PCM connector...never got wet (but it will when i ride this box of **** into a deep canal!) and i checked the serial on my PCM and its after the code that is flagged on the bulletin thread...if anybody
knows the answer I'll take the goddamn blue pill!!
radix10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.