Reduced Power Mode? See here first - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Re: Reduced Power Mode? See here first

I was getting the P2101 error, and after spending $500 I finally figured out that the relay was bad, don't for get to check the relays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Hey i got the Reduced Power message with codes P1516 and P2101. It was cold out when i started it (-20C / -4F) and it had not been plugged in all night. Could the cold just be the problem? Or is it something more serious? I also noticed the engine was idling rough, but after restarting it, the engine seemed to idle and run normally. Here is the Freeze Frame Data if it helps:

Fuel Sys 1 - OL
Fuel Sys 2 - CL-Fault
Calc Load - 57.25%
ECT - -19C / -2F
STFT B1 - 0%
LTFT B1 - 6.25%
MAP (kPa) - 52.06
Eng RPM - 1148
Veh Speed - 0 KM/h
Spark Adv - 8.00
IAT - -21C / -6F
MAF - 15 g/s
TPS - 32.16%

2006 Canyon 2wd 5sp 4cyl Reg Cab
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 PM

ive got a 06 gmc canyon it went into the reduced power mode giving me no codes truck has 4cyl 5speed 70k miles any thoughts on what it may be just bought it done some basic tests compression,coilpacks,plugs looked good feul injectors good ground wires checked and cleaned fuses and relays good the previous owner was mad at it so i got a pretty good deal here is what he just replaced pcm,timing adjustment sol,maf,feul pump,accelator sensor,

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Hey figured it out 10bucks for the parts and took me a couple of hours runs like a champ :)
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Having similar issues and have tried all of the trouble shooting tips in the thread. PCM number does not fall into the range mentioned for replacement (#5018 ). I have also tried cleaning out the throtte body and problem still happening. Truck will start and run fine for about 20 minutes then everything shuts off does not matter if I am at a stop, in park or driving down the road at 45mph. Basicllly the truck goes into 'Reduced Power Traction Fault" message I wait 60-120 seconds and it fires back up then repeats the cycle again and again. it will throw a check engine light but when I leave it sitting for longer than 2 hours and start it back up the check engine light is gone. I took to the stealership and they kept it for 3 days told me that they could not recreate the problem (HA! issue happened while pulling into the service bay and they could not get it started for 5 minutes). Anyway they told me that their best guess was that it is an ignition problem and the entire ignition should be replaced to the tune of $600.00 but they would not reccommend spending the money for the repair because they were unable to recreate the issue and could not confirm that would fix the problem. Any help would be great as I am almost ready to take it to the stealership and leave it until the figure it out.
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwayne View Post
Hey figured it out 10bucks for the parts and took me a couple of hours runs like a champ :)
fwayne - Just courious what part ended up being the $10 fix?
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Problem Solved, short in the PCM, Replaced and covered under warranty. No issues since.
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM

Hey, i was wondering if you knew anything about a MAF code the colorados throw after going into reduced power(limp mode) if had alot of problems with this replaced vaccum lines and MAF(Mass Airflow sensor) i dont know what else to do
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 AM

2006 Colorado w/ K&N intake and Flowmaster exhaust. 61,000 miles as of 05/2012. Bought the truck new and drove it like a baby for the first 25,000 miles.

Problem
At about 38,000 miles I floored the accelerator and at about 40 mph the truck went into "REDUCED POWER" mode. Pulled over, restarted the truck a few times until it began to run smoothly, but the check engine light stayed on until the next day. The problem disappeared and returned the same way about 10-15 times over the last few years, but restart it and it's fine for a few months or so.

First solution
Took it to the dealership on the third time and they found no problems, just codes and said to bring it in when the code is thrown again. I don't have a lot of free time to drive to the dealership, so I started researching online and cleaned the MAF sensor and the air filter. Worked fine for a few thousand miles and the problem returned.

Second Solution
Found this forum, bought a OBDII scanner and got a p0068 code. Took apart the entire air filter kit and cleaned everything (filter, tube, hoses, and MAF sensor) and for the first time cleaned the intake manifold on top of the engine (lots of carbon build up) Re-ran the scanner and no codes. Drove the truck really hard for about 20 minutes trying to throw the code and no problems so far.

If anyone has had any solution to this problem other than cleaning the intake assembly and MAF or replacing the PCM please help out. I'd like to keep the truck since it's paid off and has really low miles, but I'm ready to unload this truck for something new if it doesn't work after all all this.

Thanks!!
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM

I have a 2006 4x4 z71 Colorado and it has been goin into reduced power. When I crank it it revs up real quick and idles fine after. When you get goin down the road after about 2 miles it will act like it is bogging down and you can floor it and it will pick back up and keep goin but if you don't it goes in reduced power I can pull over take my battery cable off and I can drive it again but 2 or 3 miles down the road it does it again! Any suggestions?
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwayne View Post
would u please be so kind and share with us how you fixed it. it would be much appreciated.
post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM

i have a 2005 and for the last 6 months been plagued with the reduce power mode. has anybody finally figured out what is the cause of this power reduce mode. Ive bee getting plagued with this and not sure where to start since everybody keeps hitting a wall. I have the p060e code and p2135 reduce power mode comes on from time to time. I'll reset my codes and most of the time it works for a few days and i can go on my way. But the other day power reduce mode came on and won't go away. Went to reset the code by taking my connection off my battery for a few mins. (usually goes away after this) but now my truck wont start. This same thing happened to me a few weeks ago but i was on the other side of town. So i got towed to the nearest dealership. They ended up changing the battery to my alarm clicker and it got my truck started. but like i said that was a few weeks ago the battery shouldn't be dead. Any help would be great
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Reduced Power - P2123 without dead pedal/stall/chug - solved without new parts! :)

P2123 - Resolved without new parts
post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM

I have a 2008 that had this issue. I had the trouble code P2135. The truck would do the reduced power message and limp along. After turning it on and off a few times it would eventually work normal for a while (1 hour to a few days). I finally disconnected and removed the throttle body and found it was dirty from the oil breather tube. I bought some throttle body cleaner and cleaned it completely. Connected the wiring harness, and had my wife push the pedal to get inside. Some throttle bodies don't like being pried open, so this way I used it's normal opening mechanism to do it.Covered the engine with rags to not get the cleaner on any plastic parts. 6 months later and it still runs perfect.

Last edited by mxracer_6; 11-06-2012 at 06:34 PM.
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Dear god, you cleaned your throttle body without taking it off first?

Wow. Just...wow.

2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4WD SLE Extended Cab
3.5L I5, 3.73 Gear Ratio, G80 Locker
231,345 Miles; Original Owner
The Insanity Project
My other projects:

post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM

My 2005 2wd 3.5L auto was going into reduced power mode.. scanned the codes and got p0014 and p0107. I cleaned the MAF and removed the cam actuator sensor,it was very dirty..cleaned it up and has been great for about 100kms now.
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goros View Post
Dear god, you cleaned your throttle body without taking it off first?

Wow. Just...wow.
Goros - My bad for not saying so, of course I took it off. I guess when I said I disconnected it i thought it was complete. You're right, that would be a disasterous move to not remove it. I took it off and kept the wiring harness connected to actuate it while I cleaned it. I covered the opening as well as other parts of the engine. i'll update the post to avoid other confusion.

Last edited by mxracer_6; 11-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM

I just put a ported TB on my 07 Colorado 3.7L. Now I'm constantly throwing P0121 and P068 codes and going into REDUCED POWER pain in the %## mode. I've tried relearns. I've recleaned everything. I i drive it like I'm 85yrs old. it's fine. If I push the rpm's over 3k it kicks up codes. driving me mental. Any suggestions? Would a tune help. If I buy a Tuner, how easy is it to do?
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 PM

starting to hate this truck

changed the pedal, on my second cleaning of my second intake manifold, cleaned my maf a few times been to the dealership where they scratch there heads and say it's fine. My PCM should be fine. I've been dealing with this problem for 3 years now and it's become such a headache. Just wanted to share a couple things i've done to TEMPORARILY make my truck run ok for a few months at a time. But i'm so ready to sell this thing
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM

cross1420, have you replaced the truck battery? I only see you mention the alarm clicker battery...

2005 I4, Z85
7" Touch Screen Double DIN
Paint matched Bumper
Decals removed
Door "bumpers" removed
MB TKO Wheels
Goodyear 255/45/20s
Custom Painted Hood stripe

"Failure only occurs when you stop trying"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode