Reduced Power Mode? See here first - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM

What about "Reduced Power Traction Fault " message on DIC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM

I have a 2005 Colorado 2.8 I4 5-spd manual w/ roughly 111,000 miles. I got the REDUCED POWER message the other day while I was driving down the road. Within a few hundred yards the engine shut off and wouldn't restart. Fortunately, I was able to coast to a parking lot and get off the road. I was able to start it after it sat for about 10 min, but it would only go for about a half mile then the same thing happened. I had to do this 3 or 4 times to get home. This seems more extreme than what others are experiencing.

This truck is an occasional driver that sits a lot, so the battery may very well have been low on juice (battery is less than a year old). I'm going to charge it up tonight to see if that resolves the issue. I was wondering if anyone else has had the engine shut off like this while driving. Scared the **** out of me when it happened in busy traffic!

Last edited by dhectorg; 07-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM

Apparently, no one is following this thread anymore, but here's my update anyway. After my "REDUCED POWER" scare, I hooked up my battery charger and let it charge for 2 days. After that, the 'check engine' light was still on, but the 'reduced power' message was gone and the truck seemed to run normally. I drove it around town for about 20 min with no issue. The next day I took it out again and this time the check engine light had gone out and all seemed back to normal. I drove it 100 miles that day. It seems it really was just the battery not producing enough voltage.

I would have thought the alternator would have charged the battery up once the vehicle was running, or it should never have started in the first place if there wasn't enough juice to keep it going. It seems to me this is a MAJOR engineering flaw.

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Alternators are not designed to 'charge' batteries. They are intended for maintaining system voltage with all the various loads presented from normal operation. The fact that they do actually charge batteries is a side effect of the previous.

Low system voltage, poor battery connections, and anything that causes spikes in voltage will shut any computer down. I have seen 25 engine codes with a stalling complaint due to a kinda loose battery connection. I have also been stranded by a good, but not good enough battery connection that would crank my truck strongly but wasn't enough for the computer and the starter at once.

I am glad your problem cleared up. However, I would disagree with calling a system that works for over 100,000 people an engineering flaw.
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 PM

That happened to my 2006 Colorado a few years ago. Truck was only about 6 months old. They replaced some transmission parts. Test driving it truck would just eat those parts. They installed a new transmission and it hasn't done it since. I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not, but hope it helps.
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 PM

bet you cant figure this one out!

So I have a 2008 chevy colorado,
5 months ago it started going into reduced power and the whole engine would shake and would stall out. if you drove between 60 and 80 it would not want to excelrate and would go into reduced power and stall out. Now $3000 later and still no one knows what wrong with the truck!!!!!
Things that have been fixed
New manifold (5 inch crack in the old one)
New throdol body
new oxygen censor
new battery
new boots and spark plugs
all wiring checked and some replaced due to being burnt
full transmission flush x2
oxy leak in some hose fixed
new mass air flow censor

now my truck just sits!!!
no one knows anymore what to do.....been told to just scrap it!
and of corse i am 5ooo km over the manufactures warrenty
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Reduced Power Msg Stalling.

I'm new to this sight and love all the information. I have a stalling problem. Once the vehicle reaches operating temperature it will stall in less than a mile with a reduced power msg. After a couple of minutes the vehicle will crank and start again. I have a new known good battery. I'm extracting codes; C0899, U1026, U1064, and P0601 from the OBD II, Can anybody help?

Thanks
Chevy
post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 AM

to C'Fans.
To expedite getting advise for problems please include the information about your vehicle. We assume that you have a 355 platform, but different models and years have different electrical configurations. Post the year/model/engine/drivetrain/mileage/modifications of your vehicle.

With that said, my first suggestion would be to have the battery checked. If the battery is good, have the alternator checked. Was any work done on the truck just prior to the DTCs setting?
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's a 2005 Colorado 3.5 liter with 106k miles. The battery was the first thing I changed and is known good. I will pull the alternator and have it bench tested. After stalling it would not crank for 1 to 5 minutes. could I possibly be looking at PCM?
I did have an odd message one day prior to this happening. Instrument panel was giving me a fuel cap msg. replaced fuel cap, but msg stayed.
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:33 PM

mine did this it would come up while driving and say reduced power and after being shut off for a min or two it would crank up and run fine for a few min till it done it again i carried it back to where i bought it and it was the computer they replaced it and hasnt done it since idk what the code was
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 PM

i have a 2004 chevy colorado 3.5 4x4 crew cab with 123,000 miles. i am getting a reduced power on the dash. i cleaned the throttle body replaced the battery replaced the computer and still stalls. i can't read the dtc codes because the port isn't working any suggestions why the port isn't working. and what could be causing all the problems
post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 PM

to C'Fans.
It would be a good idea to open a new Thread instead of adding to an old one. We wouldn't have to navigate through the pages.
Regardless, it would be easier to try to find a solution if we knew the DTCs. The power for the data port comes from the wiring for the Aux power outlet. Check the fuse marked "Aux Fuse 2" in the underhood fuse box.
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 AM

I lose power in the middle of driving and get a reduced power fault......I have a 3005 colorado I5 3.5. I heard it could be the cylinder head losing pressure when it get to hot. What could be the problem cause I need to get to work.
post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Something i've started doing that seems to mitigate the reduced power mode that I usually get once or twice a week is to drive around in 3rd rather than drive (auto trans) unless im on the highway or above 60mph. For whatever reason, it seems to help quite a bit. I haven't thrown a code in about 3 weeks now. Obviously not a permanent solution, but it has helped until i figure out what is going on. I'm about to go read the s/n on my PCM right now actually.

Oh and if anyone is curious, its an '06 3.5 with around 30,000 miles. No, thats also not a typo on the mileage haha. Just lucked out.
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:49 PM

My 09 is doing going in reduced power also I've changed the battery an the throttle pedal position sensor still doing idk what else to do
post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre8961 View Post
My 09 is doing going in reduced power also I've changed the battery an the throttle pedal position sensor still doing idk what else to do
to C'Fans.

What engine do you have?
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 PM

I got an 09 colorado with the same problem idk what else to do already changed battery an throttle pedal position sensor still same code coming up
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:41 PM

3.7 5 cyl
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM

What DTC code are you getting?
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Hey izzy my 05 canyon is showing reduce power but if I pop my hood and shake the battery it's starts write back and drives for a few and stops again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode