Reduced Power Mode? See here first - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM

I just installed my newly ported throttle body and it threw this code and I can barely go anywhere. would the ported throttle body do this if it wasn't done correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:10 AM

Reduced Power Mode - Recurring, Different DTC's

Hi. Thanks for reading this. This current situation is driving me completely NUTS!

2006 Colorado LT, 3.5 L

So, I was having the vehicle run in Reduced Power mode, so I took it to Pep Boys. They said the codes indicated it needed a new throttle body. So I had them replace the throttle assembly. Five days later? Same problem and Same Codes as before.

So I took it back. Long story short, they said "Take it to a Chevy dealer." So I did.

They diagnosed it for two days before deciding it was the PCM. Had them replace the PCM and a week later? SAME EXACT PROBLEM!

Here are the codes it gives:
P2101 (Control Module Actuator Performance.)
P2176 (Min Throttle Position Not Learned.)
P1516 (Throttle Actuator Control Performance.)

That was today. And interestingly, I ALSO will occasionally get a "Coolant Thermostat" issue. As if the Thermostat isnt reporting periodically. DESPITE the engine temp indicator running right in the normal range.

I am wondering if, after $1300 (US) in replacement parts, labor and diagnosis, if the problem isnt just the wiring harness all along? And is that something I could do myself? I am relatively competent but the throttle body and PCM were out of my comfort range to replace myself.

I REALLY appreciate any help y'all can give because I LOVE this truck! I work in TV and Film and this truck with the extended cab (It's a 2006 Colorado LT, 3.5L) and this truck is perfect...if just a little annoying with these constant DTC's!

Frustrated in Maryland
Sean Brown
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:41 AM

It is unfortunate, but you are experiencing the same situations that most owners have when they have to rely on shops/Dealers for their maintenance. It doesn't matter whether it is a Dealer or an independent shop, it is all about the money. Many of them have inexperienced mechanics that don't know how to properly troubleshoot and instead they rely on a Service Manual for instructions. The problem with that is the Manual also provides a list of possible causes, so many mechanics just start with that. The list for the codes that you posted only has two listed: Throttle Body and PCM. See what I mean? It is important to note that a Dealer will not remove an installed part and refund your money if the replacement doesn't fix the problem. Often they will just find another part to change. When they run out of possible defective parts, then they will troubleshoot.

Enough of that. I know that you haven't had the truck long. Do you know how old the battery is? Low voltage can set these DTCs. What do you mean by "Coolant Thermostat" issue? Are you getting a DTC for that?

It could be a wiring problem. I sent you a PM.

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 AM

I am having a similar issue with an 06 Chevy Trailblazer and was wondering if anyone had a solution and/or advice.

Originally my car was going into Reduced Power Mode with the Stabilitrack warning. I would have to pull over, turn the vehicle off, and wait a few minutes before I could start the car up and drive normally. The engine light would stay on. Quite often the problem would happen again a few minutes later, other times it would drive normally for a day or two before reoccurring.

I took it to a shop and they pulled code P2135. They said they had to replace the Throttle Body, which they did. The next day the car did the same exact thing. I took it back and they reprogrammed the vehicle... again, same issue happened. This went on about 3 times with them reprogramming and the issue continuing. They then said the vehicle was pulling a P060E code and the needed to replace the PCM. They did that and again, the issue happened immediately after the replacement. They thought it was a faulty PCM and replaced it again. Same issue occurred... they've replaced the PCM two more times and the issue continues to occur.

Everyone is at a loss as to what to do. I believe they said that they've checked all the wiring and that doesn't seem to be an issue. I had my battery tested and it's fine. I'm not sure what else there is left to try?

I notice that the issue only occurs when I'm on the highway at speeds of 70 mph and above.

The various codes that have come up are: P2135, P0116, P0121, P060E (this one is the one that has continued to come up the past 30 or so times the vehicle goes into Reduced Power Mode).

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 11:06 PM

My 05 colorado with an i5 started doing this recently. Haven't been able to figure out what it is. All I know is that when I smack the fuse box it will start up. Can anybody give me an idea of what it might be?
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:11 AM

to C'Fans.

Not sure which other post you are referring to. Post the details of the problem that you have. Include anything that is operating abnormally, especially the lights/indications on the instrument cluster. If the "check engine" light is on, see if you can get the codes. AutoZone or Advance Auto will usually scan your truck for no charge.
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 PM

Just a control module malfunction came up on the code. Said I would have to take it to a dealership to see what's really going. I can't really afford that being a college student..... when I'm driving down or the road or even when I just start it up in the morning it will shut off the engine. Then the display will say reduced power traction fault. I turn off the switch, pop the hood and bang on the fuse box. The truck will start right up till it randomly decides to do it again. Then I will bang on the fuse box again. And proceed on my way. I tried unplugging the battery for the day but it only lasted without doing for a while, then left me on the side of theach road a while ago. Hopefully someone can help.
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 AM

When this problem happens, and you try to restart the truck, does the engine turn over or does the starter not operate at all? You should try to get a scan at an auto parts store to see if any codes are set. Even if the problem isn't happening at that time there could be "pending" codes set.
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:08 PM

No it does not turn over until I bang on the fuse box. After that it starts right up. I went to auto zone a while back when it first showed that "reduced power traction fault" and had the codes read. I don't really really remember what they were but it something to the extent of a control module malfunction. Or computer malfunction. They told me I would have to go to a dealership for them to get a full read on what's malfunctioning, Which I can't really afford. I checked all the fuses none were burnt. I'm not to shure about relays though. I'm hoping it's a short or something under the fuse box.
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 PM

While "banging on the fuse box" is a clue, there are many things that could be causing the issue that you have. This is not a situation that has come up before, so I doubt that anyone can pinpoint, with any accuracy, the location of the defect.

Using the label on the inside of the fuse box lid, locate, remove, and check the three fuses that affect the PCM. They are #20, #25, and #30. Check to make sure that the fuses seat securely in the sockets and don't feel loose.

Find the "Powertrain" relay, #56, and check it also. You could swap it with one of the other relays that have similar markings. I'm not sure which, maybe the "Horn" relay, #55.

It doesn't sound like it would be a "short", but something appears to be not making proper contact.
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
While "banging on the fuse box" is a clue, there are many things that could be causing the issue that you have. This is not a situation that has come up before, so I doubt that anyone can pinpoint, with any accuracy, the location of the defect.

Using the label on the inside of the fuse box lid, locate, remove, and check the three fuses that affect the PCM. They are #20, #25, and #30. Check to make sure that the fuses seat securely in the sockets and don't feel loose.

Find the "Powertrain" relay, #56, and check it also. You could swap it with one of the other relays that have similar markings. I'm not sure which, maybe the "Horn" relay, #55.

It doesn't sound like it would be a "short", but something appears to be not making proper contact.
Replaced the relays didn't work. Replaced the entire fuse box didn't work. I'm at a loss right now. On what's going on with this truck.
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Yellow text on a white background, who can read this!

What is with the yellow text? I can hardly read this. My answer is get rid of the Colorado, do yourself a favor.... I have had nothing but problems with mine...
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 PM

I posted several months ago about a Reduced Power Mode issue I was having. It is now 8 months later and I'm still having the same issue. I have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer and the Vehicle will go into Limp Mode. It originally would only happen when it was cold and I was going speeds above 65 and usually on an incline/decline, but now it is happening much more frequently (still usually when it is cold but happens other times too).

These are several codes that come up but these are the codes that keep popping up most frequently: P2135, P0116, P0121, P060E

I have taken the vehicle to two different mechanics and nobody can seem to figure it out. They just keep having me throw parts at it. Between the two mechanics I have had the throttle body changed three times, the PCM changed twice, the Pedal changed three times and the wiring has all been checked.

I'm getting really desperate and was hoping someone here might have some suggestions or ideas as to what it could be.

Thanks in advance .
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 PM

Maybe a clue with the P0121 DTC.

DTC P0121: PCM detects airflow rate is more than expected.

This is one of the actions that occurs when DTC P0121 sets: The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.

Maybe check/replace the MAP Sensor. If the engine is a 4.2, the part number is 12614970. https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-126...ype=automotive

If the engine is a V-8, I think the part number is 12614973.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 PM

Thank you. I believe the last shop that looked at it told me they checked it and it was fine so they cleaned it and thought it would help, but the next day I had the same issue.

I'm really at a loss. The shop I was just at now says they want to check to see if when the PCM was updated it was flashed to the most updated software and if not they want to update it (although the last shop did this two times) and they want to charge me $200 to do it. If that doesn't work they want to put a new PCM in (at a cost of $700) and as I said above, that has already been done twice as well by the other shop.

I read in the previous replies that it sometimes is caused by a battery issue. Any idea of what the likelihood that that might be my problem? Often the issue occurs about 20 minutes after I'm driving. I have had my battery tested twice and both times they told me it was still good but I'm wondering if there's a small chance that while it might read good that it isn't. The battery is sat least 3 years old, if not older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Maybe a clue with the P0121 DTC.

DTC P0121: PCM detects airflow rate is more than expected.

This is one of the actions that occurs when DTC P0121 sets: The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.

Maybe check/replace the MAP Sensor. If the engine is a 4.2, the part number is 12614970. https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-126...ype=automotive

If the engine is a V-8, I think the part number is 12614973.
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 PM

Well, obviously one of your problems is that the mechanics that you are taking the vehicle to are shooting in the dark. Are these mechanics at a GM Dealer? Why are they continuing to replace the same parts over and over? If you are considering giving away several hundred more dollars to accomplish repeat work, it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the MAP Sensor for about $50. You could replace it yourself in about 10 minutes. Is the engine a six cylinder (4.2)?
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:44 PM

Hi again. The first mechanics that I took it to were mechanics at the dealer who told me they didn't know what the problem was and told me I should replace the Throttle Body. The other two mechanics who actually did the work were local mechanics. The first shop that worked on the car threw parts on it because they were working with GM Tech (after the throttle body didn't fix the problem) who told them to. After six months of not being able to fix the problem they gave up and I took it somewhere else. Despite giving them the history they told me they had to walk through everything again because they don't know if the first shop replaced things correctly.

As far as doing the MAP sensor myself, I'm open to try, however, I'm not technically inclined whatsoever so I'm not really that confident in my abilities. My vehicle is a V8.

Would the MAP sensor also throw the code P2135? That is the one that keeps coming up the most often (along with P060E). Any thoughts on the battery as well?
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 AM

Batteries can cause weird electrical problems. A load test should indicate the condition, but some batteries still cause issues. If it is more than a few years old it might be a good time to replace it anyway.

DTCs P2135 and P060E are related to the throttle position sensors. I didn't address those because you said that the throttle body and accelerator pedal switches were replaced several times. P0116 relates to the Temperature Sensor. I don't think it will cause a Reduced Power Mode, but it is something the mechanics should have addressed.

Next time you talk to the mechanics ask them what they plan to do about the P0121 and P0116 DTCs. Maybe they are putting too much effort into trying to correct the other issues.
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:22 AM

I had a 2007 Rad Z71 4x4 Crew with the I5 that would throw the "Reduced Power Mode" anytime I drove through heavy rain, or used a high pressure sprayer under the Drivers Side wheel-well. Seems something on that side was getting wet, and didn't like it. Chevy never found the problem before I got rid of it. The insanity is I now own a 2016 Rad Z71 4x4 Crew with the V6. So far no issues....yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode