Reduced Power Mode? See here first - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Default Reduced Power Mode? See here first

#08-06-04-014: MIL/SES, DTCs P060E, P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Test and Charge Battery) - (Mar 4, 200

Subject: MIL/SES, DTCs P060E, P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Test and Charge Battery)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Colorado

2004-2007 GMC Canyon

2006-2007 HUMMER H3

with 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.5L or 3.7L Engine (VINs 6, 8, 9, E -- RPOs L52, LK5, LLV, LLR)

Condition:
Some customers may comment on an MIL/SES light Illuminated with the" Reduced Engine Power" message or indicator displayed. A technician may find two or more of the following DTCs stored in the ECM:

• P060E : Control Module Throttle Position (TP) System Performance

• P1516 : Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

• P2135 : Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

• P2138 : Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Cause:
A battery voltage drop during the cranking cycle may cause the codes to set and place the vehicle into the reduce engine power mode.

Correction:
Test and charge the battery using the steps below.

Important: A low voltage condition may cause at least two of the following DTCs to set.

• P060E : Control Module Throttle Position (TP) System Performance

• P1516 : Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

• P2135 : Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

• P2138 : Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Perform a Diagnostic System Check. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in SI.
Check for DTCs and review the Freeze Frame/Failure Records to determine if sufficient ignition voltage was present when the DTC set.
• If the ignition voltage was low, then check for a possible battery drain. Refer to Battery Electrical Drain/Parasitic Load Test.

• If the ignition voltage was sufficient when the code set, proceed with normal SI diagnosis for the code(s) set.

Test and recharge the battery using Bulletin 02-06-03-009 or latest version on "Battery Charging Tips'.
Clear all DTCs.

OK after looking again i found 5.23 volts should be the minimum battery voltage during cranking, otherwise you might have the issues listed in this TSB. Pretty much a weak battery might cause this.

#07-06-04-019: Intermittent MIL/SES, DTC P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Repair Instrument Panel (IP) to Body Harness Connector) - (Jun 21, 2007)

Subject: Intermittent MIL/SES, DTC P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Repair Instrument Panel (IP) to Body Harness Connector)

Models: 2005-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)

2005-2008 HUMMER H2

2006-2008 HUMMER H3

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition:
Some customers may comment on an intermittent MIL/SES light Illuminated with a message center or an indicator that displays Reduced Engine Power. DTC P2138 - Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation may be set. The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a predetermined value for more than 2 seconds. Refer to DTC P2138 in SI for further diagnostics.

Cause:
On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area and if the kick panel is not sealed properly, water enters and causes a short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

Correction:
Important: Do Not replace the accelerator pedal assembly.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary.

#07-06-04-003: LSJ, L61, LK5, L52, LL8 Engine - Reduced Engine Power, MIL/SES Light, DTC P1516, P2135, P2138 (Replace PCM) - (Jan 19, 2007)

Subject: LSJ, L61, LK5, L52, LL8 Engine -- Reduced Engine Power, MIL/SES Light, DTC P1516, P2135, P2138 (Replace PCM)

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, Cobalt SS, Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer

2006 GMC Canyon, Envoy

2006 HUMMER H3

2005-2006 Saturn ION, ION Red Line

2006 Saab 9-7X

with ECOTEC™ 2.0L, 2.2L I-4 Cylinder Engine (VINs P, F-- RPOs LSJ, L61) or

VORTEC™ 2.8L I-4, 3.5L I-5, 4.2L I-6 Cylinder Engine (VINs 8, 6, S -- RPOs LK5, L52, LL

Attention: The following bulletin information is only to be used if the customer has returned for REPEAT repairs for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition:
Some customers may comment on engine operation in the Reduce Engine Power mode with the MIL/SES light illuminated. This condition may be repeated and upon investigation, the technician may find the following DTCs set as current or in history:

• DTC P1516 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

• DTC P2135 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

• DTC P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Cause:
This condition of a repeat DTC P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 may be caused by an internal concern with the PCM.

Correction:
Important: DO NOT replace the APP sensor. Inspect the PCM build date first.

Before following the diagnostic information in SI on DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138, an inspection of the PCM serial number year and Julian (PCM build) date will be necessary to determine if the PCM will need to be replaced to correct the repeat DTC P1516. Refer to Engine Control Module Replacement in SI in order to remove the PCM. Refer to the above graphic illustration (1) for the location of the PCM serial number.

The serial number is read left to right. The last digit of the year is the 9th character and the Julian date is comprised of the 10th, 11th and 12th characters and is used to determine the PCM build date. Refer to the example below to read a build date from the PCM serial number:

* 8 6 Y N AU K 1 5 3 2 5 0 R P N *

If the PCM year and Julian dates are between 5182 and 5304 , replace the PCM. Refer to the Part Catalog to order the correct PCM for your vehicle application, if necessary.

Vehicles with PCM built outside the dates should refer to SI diagnostics for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

FYI the APP sensor is the Accelerator Pedal Position sensor.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Reduced Power Mode? See here first

Very good information, as always, Izzy! :D
AVT @ Facebook
Canyon08Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Reduced Power Mode...

IzzY you have done it again! More relavent info the colly / canyon owners need to know!
I just wish the twins had the Vortec 4300 my s-10 had... call it what you may, I liked my 4.3 V6.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

hey izzy, as a side note to this...have you ever seen where a colorado will climp to 1500rpms, level, climb to 2100rpms, and then flake out, drop to 600rpms and go into reduced power mode? I was thinking it might me a power issue, so thats why im throwing it in here. Its totally random but will only do it on startup and idle. feel free just to pm me.
runeblade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Runblade im not sure man, I would have to be there to look at it I suppose but no i've never seen that yet.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bubbawho

OMG My pcm just blow out and thx to Izzy problem solved...

Thx man

Bubbawho

Efan, cold air intake, Magnaflow Cat back 15845 Viper 320 HV alarm SS billet grill/mirrors smooth steel pan 17 inch American racing wheels Domintor Teflon Black BS 5.5 Huskey liners , Shaved door handles / tailgate, Iron bull front bumper, Bushwacker fender flares front/back. HP tuned. Custom : header, CTS caddy console, interior blue led. Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 ~ 32.7 / 11.0

Supported by : THE WOLF ( shifter black chrome, crossmember cap ) , Supermodulation (3rd brake light, interior lighting, skid plate )

Bubbawho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sweet bro, I hope they're replacing it under PCM 80k mile warranty?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bubbawho

Yes and many thx again Izzy

Bubbawho

Efan, cold air intake, Magnaflow Cat back 15845 Viper 320 HV alarm SS billet grill/mirrors smooth steel pan 17 inch American racing wheels Domintor Teflon Black BS 5.5 Huskey liners , Shaved door handles / tailgate, Iron bull front bumper, Bushwacker fender flares front/back. HP tuned. Custom : header, CTS caddy console, interior blue led. Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 ~ 32.7 / 11.0

Supported by : THE WOLF ( shifter black chrome, crossmember cap ) , Supermodulation (3rd brake light, interior lighting, skid plate )

Bubbawho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

i keep getting a P2138 and P060E DTC....battery has been replaced & tested...voltage & ignition have been monitored
no voltage drops..... IP to body harness connector..never got a drop of water on it...and my PCM's year and Julian date
is outside of range specified for replacing the PCM....what else could be making my truck throw P2138 & P060E....
radix10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ
ugh...blew into the "Reduced Power" mode again. I'll print this off and have it in hand when I go back to the dealership...mine has only ever done this when it's below -25C and did it yesterday for the first time while driving.

funny thing is that I stopped to disconnect the battery cable, it was all good when I started back up except I was showing a CEL and I had the thing where the power door locks and drivers side window don't work! wtf. so whack. So I threw the OEM intake back on so when I take it in they'll actually look at it. I really wish I wasn't still paying for it... :(
I moved the remainder of this topic into a new thread so that if anyone else runs into this they can see this. Hope you don't mind.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67344

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix10
i keep getting a P2138 and P060E DTC....battery has been replaced & tested...voltage & ignition have been monitored
no voltage drops..... IP to body harness connector..never got a drop of water on it...and my PCM's year and Julian date
is outside of range specified for replacing the PCM....what else could be making my truck throw P2138 & P060E....
OK sorry I just barely saw this, my bad.

Ok after re-reading this thread a few times the only thing i can say is if the IP connector checks out ok with no moisture and your positive your battery is good then perhaps your Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor may be faulty. The APP of course is the gas pedal so maybe try swapping it out with a new one.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.