Dash Rattle. HELP! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to burn
Default Dash Rattle. HELP!

Hey guys - recently my truck has developed a rattle behind the dash on the passenger side. Ive emptied out the glove box so I know its not my junk in there causing it. It sounds like a metal-on-metal sound. I have an aftermarket Sirius unit above the glove box; but Ive checked it twice and its strapped in there good & snug so I know thats not it either. I only hear on roads that have pressure cracks in it; making it hard to reproduce in the driveway. I know its not an exterior sound - its pretty clear that its coming from inside and its really annoying.

Ive had the glove box right out, as well as the patch-panel on the side of the dash but I cant find anything. Does anyone have any guesses to what it could be? All that I see back there is the HVAC, and thats all plastic so I dont think that would make the sound Im hearing.

What would be metal-on-metal on the passenger side behind the dash that could work its way loose? Anyone?

Thanks guys.

Colorado & Canyon Club of CANADA - Member #13
20" RTX Blackhawk rims, 4/5 Drop (all Belltech), Belltech front & rear swaybars, Kenwood DDX6019 DVD / Sirius / iPod / Bluetooh, StreetScene Rollpan, Low-Profile X-Member, C-Notch, Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, K&N FIPK, Line-x, HIDs, Optima, Donnelly 36400 Mirror, Smooth Fuel Door, A1Electric Power Windows Conversion, etc.
burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dash Rattle. HELP!

Put a piece of foam between your dash and the bottom of the side pillar. Basicly right inbetween both where you really cant see.

Thats where mine was.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just a suggestion from my 2004 Canyon.

I had a metal sounding squeak in the passenger side a-pillar to dash area... Took a boat load of time to locate it because it was only at highway speeds and when it was cold out... Ended up being a grille mount was loose (the metal push in type) on the passenger side. It resonated all the way into the cab.
AVT @ Facebook
Canyon08Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

whelp - I checked those both out and no luck. Its deffinately coming from under / inside the passenger side dash. any idea if the air bag cover comes off?

20" RTX Blackhawk rims, 4/5 Drop (all Belltech), Belltech front & rear swaybars, Kenwood DDX6019 DVD / Sirius / iPod / Bluetooh, StreetScene Rollpan, Low-Profile X-Member, C-Notch, Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, K&N FIPK, Line-x, HIDs, Optima, Donnelly 36400 Mirror, Smooth Fuel Door, A1Electric Power Windows Conversion, etc.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to *!*Zero*!* Send a message via MSN to *!*Zero*!*

i had the same rattle and i think it comes from the metal latch on the glove box. take ur box off and drive and see if the sound goes away

http://www.starweardesigns.com
http://www.gtac-club.com - a Ontario bassed club for colorado/canyon's
*!*Zero*!* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

WOOO!!!! I think I found it. I took my glove box off again for like the 4th time and low-and-behold there are 2 screws missing behind the dash. I suspect the kind folks at GM forgot to put them back in after they had to remove my dash to replace the trim against the windshield.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm experiencing a similiar very annoying squeak on the driver side underneath the dash somewhere. I only get it when I am not accelerating (pushing gas pedal) usually coasting or braking at 40mph and less.

It seems to do it most when the vehicle is warm. I was thinking it was something in the brake pedal but I've heard it doing it when I wasnt braking. Driving my friggen nuts, any ideas?
Teapotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.