Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to evonschu
Default Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve

Hello people I'm following up on a post I had made off another thread because I wanted to get some more information. The problem I was originally having is listed below. I pulled the Camchaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve and sure enough one of the screens in it was missing and chunks of it could be seen in the valve itself. My question to all of you is if this is a common problem amongst everyone? I know they have a TSB on the issue, but I'd like to know how many people actually have had this part go bad? And what causes these screens to break? Frankly the idea of chunks of screen floating around my engine is pretty messed up and I can't seem to understand what engineer at GM thought that would be a good idea. Anyone have engine damage after this occurring? I'm changing my oil after I replace this part obviously but dam. Also what does this part do in full? I know it has something to do with adjusting the timing. Any and all info on this problem would be great. This forum is beyond great! Thanks everyone. I was talking to the guy at the dealership I got my truck from about the issue, TSB, and part. Their response "Your going to perform repairs from info from a forum??" LOL. Dam right I am! I wouldn't even had any idea where to look and probably wasted a ton of money bringing my truck in. What a bunch of morons. Anyway, here's the original thread that I found that I used to check this part out:

http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/v...=p0017#p856608

My original problem and reply to this thread:

--------------------------------
I think I'm having this problem too. My truck is out of the warranty (47k miles) and I think warranty is up after 36k? (YES it is up called today) I'm throwing codes P0017, P0068, P0014, P0101, and P0300. I was just driving along and all the sudden the idle goes rough as **** and then I get reduced power with the CEL. Thank god it happened when I was 2 miles away from my house. I tried changing the oil (i just did a change myself last week and everything looked ok), check the plugs, MAF looks fine, tried Idle relearn, throttle body looked clean, air filter is clean. Several others have said this part fixes their issue. Is it something that GM will pay for since its a TSB? I'd rather do it myself in any event as I need my truck up and running asap. I have a PCM4Less tune, Flowmaster muffler, and K&N intake. I also notice when I check my oil the end of the dipstick had some kind of crusty debri on it. The oil looked fine when I drained it out of the truck. IDKWTF. Maybe that solenoid screen? So many posts on here about this issue ranging from replacing a simple part to cleaning the throttle body to replacing the whole engine. I'm stressed out as ****. I love my truck. I guess my main question is is this part (12602516) go out for a lot of you guys and when it does do u have the same sort of issues? And is this something I should bring it in to the dealer to address (NO). I swear to god they know me by name there after I had "Poor pin connection" on my PCM that caused my truck to stall at random times and the gauges to stop working at random times b4 the pcms4less swap and while it was under warranty still.

P0017 - CAM/Crankshaft Pos. Correllation Sensor B - Bank 1
P0068 - MAF/MAP Sensor Throttle Position Correlation
P0014 - Camshaft position actuator B-Bank/Timing Over advan
P0101 - MAF or VAF CKT Range/ Perf
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve

PROBLEM SOLVED!! Talked to the manager at the dealership too and he said they've had a lot of these get replaced on vehicles that have came in. I also had him look up the TSB (1809533) on the issue and read it to me. Basically said everything that is posted on the various threads on here regarding those error codes and symptoms. If solenoid screen is missing replace the solenoid and change the oil. If its not missing then check camshaft end play. Here are the pictures of my damaged CPAS. You can see on the up close shot some pitting from whatever broke the screen or from the screen itself scraping the metal after it broke. In any event, cleared the codes and did an idle relearn and I'm back in business. The part was $96 which is $30 more than gmpartsdirect wanted with shipping but with each day on my commute to work with my 5.8L lifted bronco I threw away the difference in gas so I got it right away. Anyway hope this is useful information for some of you. Its a very EASY part to replace at least. 1 bolt on the top of the engine. Any questions or comments about this please post. Cuz I am curious as to what everyone else's experiences is with this. I think it honestly should be a recall. I can't imagine how angry I would have been if this part failed while I was far away from help. And if its commonly failing thats a load of bs that post vehicle warranty owners have to pay for this out of pocket.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dale_jr082003

my truck just started doin this as well........ just one second drove fine the next wham rough idle crazy sound and then reduced power. I gotta say im not a happy camper about this! any chance you have a picture of the new part for comparison? thanks for the write up and showing exactly what you found wrong not just a few poorly thought out words to try and explain ! Hope this fixes my truck as well!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah there was the thread at the top of the page with some pics and info. Here is the pic another user posted of the good part. Also if you do a search in the forums for P0014 and P0017 you'll get lots more info on the problem. Those are the error codes you get when one of the screens disintegrates. On a side note after replacing this part my truck is idling better than it EVER has. It used to fluctuate a little (20-30RPMs) even when the A/C was off. GONE. Goodluck. Any more questions let me know. If you have time to spare for shipping you can order the part from Gmpartsdirect.com. Do a search for part 12602516. Save you from having to get it from the dealer at $96. And NO auto parts store has this part yet. I went to NAPA, Autozone, Schucks, Baxter, and Knechts.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Had a similar problem myself...same codes etc. The dealership suggested the crankshaft position sensor first, which I did on my own. Was $17 at Autozone & took 5 minutes to change. It has been running great since.
cntryman77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dale_jr082003

thanks! yeah i work in a shop and searched it through mitchell and indentifix and they both pointed me straight at it pulled it out and found the solenoid actually jammed open inside the bore..... weak but i got mine through our parts department.... thanks to the forum! and your help
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi guys, after reading about your problem and the remedy, I believe I have the same problem ( I hope ). Mine went for a crap and I get the P0014 code. I don't have the rough idle or the reduced power though. Could you tell me where to locate the part on the engine. Thanks for the info..........Mike
Lund deflector & rain guards
Extang platinum tonneau cover
A few LEDs...nothing fancy
Grand Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Real easy to get to at the top of the engine near the power steering fluid resevoir. Here's a photo:

Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the pic evonschu......thats a big help.......I can handle that task. So basically what your saying is if the screen is gone I should get a new part (thx for the part # as well). This should correct my problem? I'm also gettig the misfire on cyl 3 so I'll have to get to the dealer to get the head replaced. That should be a fun deal , LOL. Thanks again for your help, I'll give it a shot........Take care .........Mike
Lund deflector & rain guards
Extang platinum tonneau cover
A few LEDs...nothing fancy
Grand Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

This part would cause all those problems. Replace it and your oil&filter before driving it any further. Chances are after that you'll be good and the misfires will stop. I doubt you'll have to bring it to the dealership if this is the problem. Even if the screen is missing oil can get into where the solenoid is and mess it up. Easiest way to check is to look at the electrical connector and inspect for oil in it. If there are any screens missing though the whole part needs to be replaced for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.