Timing Chain Replacement - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Timing Chain Replacement

Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Colorado crew cab 4x4 with 172 000 kms (107 000 miles). I was cruising down the highway and the truck kicked down to second gear to climb a hill (had cruise control on at 75 mph). Revs went up to around 5000 RPM and a terrible noise followed, something like a really bad tick or rattle. I was in the middle of nowhere so had to drive for another hour to get to a city and a GM dealership. (drove at 50 MPH to keep the revs low)

They think its a loose timing chain. They want $4300 total to fix it (front diff has to be dropped).

I can't find any info on timing chain stuff for Collys. You guys ever hear of the chain needing to be replaced? Anyone ever change one?

Thanks,

Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Re: Timing Chain Replacement

Timing chains do wear out although ours have a tensioner and 107k isn't alot. There may be a problem with the tensioner itself. Here's a link with pics that will help if you decide to do your own repairs. For what its worth you can also invest $15 in a Haynes manual.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38604

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dillusion

Haynes are garbage.

Spend the money on a helm.

http://www.helminc.com
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. A Hayne's manual was the first thing I bought.

I will hopefully have my truck back in my garage in the next week. I'll take the covers off and hopefully see what's causing all the racket. If I'm lucky it will be the tensioner or something silly like that. The engine still runs fine which gives me hope its nothing too critical.

Dustin
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 PM

I'd put a lower mileage motor in it before I spent that much on a chain replacement. Someone on here or 355nation was a dealer mechanic and said these motors are a major PITA on the timing chain stuff.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Ya thats what I hear. If I do it myself, it won't cost that much, just a lot of my time. I don't feel like doing an engine swap on a 3 year old truck. I definately thought it would last a bit longer than 107 000 miles...

Dustin
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I just received the summary from the dealership. Apparently they tested the actuator by sending a command to the actuator solenoid. There was NO change in cam position. I pulled the solenoid and it looks alright, although there are some metal fillings on the screens I would like to clean out.

So I guess either the solenoid or the actuator is toast. Would a busted actuator cause the terrible noise I heard? Looking through scott's timing chain "how to" it looks like there is a hydraulic chain tensioner on the lower right tensioner thing. I wonder if that could be toast as well. The engine actually sounds fine when its cold. It's only when it warms up that the sound gets really bad.

Does anyone know what the allowable timing chain lash is? Does anyone have a GM part # for the actuator? I have the number for the solenoid. Anyone have issues with the timing chain tensioner before?

Thanks for the help,

Dustin
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I was just thinking about this, and I'm going to replace the tensioner and actuator. It's way too much of a job to try one or the other, so I might as well change everything.

So nevermind my previous questions. I have the valve cover off right now, so I'm on the way to getting the front cover off as well. I'll let you guys know how the actuator/tensioner replacement goes. Oh and I found everything I need on http://www.gmpartsdirect.com. Hopefully they can ship fairly quickly!

Thanks,

Dustin
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Yeah, keep up posted with pics.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy

OK the fact that you said it only does it more when its hot leads me to beleive that maybe theres a problem with your exhaust camshaft timing sprocket or the VVT actuator. Most likely the sprocket im thinkin. Finding metal shaving in anything is not that great for the motor. I think you can get away with removing the exhaust sprocket without fully pullin out the chain if you use that special tool Gm techs use.

This tool allows you to hammer ina wedge that pushes in the timing chain tensioner and releases tension on the chain allowing you to remove the sprocket and replace it without having to pull off the timing chain cover and oil pan and front diff. But im not sure where you can buy it other than possibly from a tool distributor like Snap On or Mac or maybe Kent Moore.

See my P0300 thread especially page 4 where it has those pics.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26513&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Izzy 2005 Black CrewCab SS wannabe
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Hey turbizzy,

I am thinking its the actuator too, especially since the shop said it would not phase at all. However, I would hate to replace that, put it together and find the tensioner is still screwed. I'm halfway there so I figure I might as well go all the way. Do you think the actuator could make a sound loud enough that I would hear it on the highway and feel it in the gas pedal?

The metal shavings were only on the screens on the CAS. the oil looked fine, other than it being very dirty. I just bought this truck and I'm afraid the previous owner neglected it.

Thanks for the input. I definately considered replacing just the acutator since I'm already there, but I have a long weekend with not much to do, so off comes the front cover! I also need to change the front axle seals and do a front driver's wheel bearing.

Dustin
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Well I can't say i've replaced any on 355s yet but i know they sometimes go bad on Nissans. I've replaced 2 on a VQ35DE motor and 1 on a QR25De motor all for being noisy, Nissan actually has TSBs on this.

If your gonna pull off the front cover i guess you might as well change out the tensioner and the actuator for good insurance. I just think its alot of work but shit if your ok with it then by all means. Take some good pics and post em up for others too see!

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

When you say you replaced some on Nissans, do you mean the actuator or the chain tensioner?
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pics so far. I think I've changed my mind and decided to change only the cam actuator. Like turbizzy said previously, it looks like a special tool can allow actuator replacement without removing the front cover. The chain looks fine and the tensioner shoes look alright as well. However, the tensioner looks like its out quite far, and I wonder if maybe the chain has stretched enough that the tensioner can't keep it tight anymore. That would suck...

The resonator box off:

A look inside the huge intake port:

Valve cover off:

Intake cam sprocket:

Exhaust cam actuator:

Spark plug:

A bit of scoring on one of the lobes:
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbuster85
When you say you replaced some on Nissans, do you mean the actuator or the chain tensioner?
The actuator meaning the sprocket itself, not the solenoid or tensioner. Although i have replaced timing chain tensioners on the newer V6s for whinning noises but thats another story.

Your oil looks kinda baked man, are you doing frequent oil changes?

The scoring on the cams is common but too much scoring is bad and theres actually a TSB or PI (can't remember) that talks about replacing the cams and valve cover with an updated cover and PCV to not allow moisture into the head.

Oh and I doubt the chain has stretched enough to reach the limitations of the tensioner, its pretty long. Im sure the chain is fine.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4B

Interesting to see inside one of these trucks. Didn't know we had variable exhaust timing. I agree that it looks a bit dirty in there.

2004 GMC Canyon - DD/toy hauler
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA TTA racecar
2003 Torch Red/Tan Corvette Convertible
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

you are right, the oil is dirty/baked. I just bought this truck used, so apparently the previous owner did not change the oil as frequently as he should have. I think I remember hearing these trucks like clean oil (I guess everything does). How often do you guys change the oil?

the cam actuator is a dark brown/red ish color but i can scrape the stuff off. If I had to guess what happened, I would say either the solenoid didnt allow enough oil to the actuator, or something screwed up in the actuator that caused it to get really hot. I think that would explain the junk on the actuator and the fact its screwed now.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm going to try and find that special tool tomorrow and order a new actuator and solenoid. Hopefully I can get this bad boy running again soon.

In the meantime, I will be installing an oil pressure gauge, voltmeter, stereo, and alarm/remote starter. I will start a new post soon with pics from the electronics side of things.

Dustin
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4B

I think GM screwed the pooch w/ the oil life monitor on this truck. They specify organic oil and the OLM system trips around 13,000 miles in my experience. This is a ludacris amount of time w/ organic oil, but GM says it's "ok". I find this funny because my Corvette has a great OLM system and it's tuned for the synthetic it comes with from the factory. I typically find my car asking for an oil change anywhere from 6000-8000 miles depending on driving and that's nothing for good syn oil.

In my truck I was going to use the OLM until I found out how erratic it is. To make matters worse you cannot view the oil life remaining on the dash, you can only reset it and wait for it to beep when it's time for an oil change.

So... in my case I run Mobil 1 15,000 mile extended performance with a mobil 1 extended performnace high-capacity filter and change it every 10k per the odometer.

I haven't opened up the I5, but when I opened up my LS6 to put my cam etc. in back in January '07 it looked brand new other than a little cam bearing wear... the heads etc were spotless. Nothing like what I'm seeing in your pics.

So... if I had to venture a guess I'll be this truck has seen normal dino oil changed per the truck's OLM.... time for some sea-foam and swap to a good synthetic.

2004 GMC Canyon - DD/toy hauler
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA TTA racecar
2003 Torch Red/Tan Corvette Convertible
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM

great pics, those really show a lot
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have the old cam phaser off. The front cover part was loose (the part that says Delphi) which explains the noise. Unfortunately I can't get the new phaser on without that fancy wedge tool.

Does anyone know where I can find that special tool? Snap-on has no clue and my GM dealership does not want to help. I suppose I could make one myself...

Pictures of the new phaser coming soon...

Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode