P0506 (Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default P0506 (Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected)

Anyone experienced this before ? The truck is throwing the code, even after clearing it twice. Seems to idle absolutely normally, and a friend of mine told me that it might be a problem with my intake air control valve, although he was unsure if our trucks are even equipped with one of them.

Only other things that i thought of was to clean the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor... and also i need to change the oil.

...just hoping that someone could point me in the right direction with this problem, and yes i know i should take it to the dealership, but i don't have a warranty

thanks in advance for any thoughts

http://www.canada355.com/
2005 Black LS Extd. I5 Z85/2WD
rubinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan
Default Re: P0506 (Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected)

Definitely clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. Then see if it still gives you the code after you clear it.

DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea, my 2004 displayed the code this morning. Cool front came through texas this morning with some moisture. Autozone computer indicated, 1-vacumn leak on engine, 2-dirty throttle body, 3-iac motor defective, 4-poor electrical connection to te IAC valve. What the heck is a IAC motor?

I gonna assume cool front for now, cleared code and will see what happens in the morning.

Any other ideas?
jimbo531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

IAC stands for "Idle Air Control". I don't think our colorado's have an IAC motor. So you can eliminate #'s 3 and 4 in your post.
04I5Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

yep, first thing i heard to check for was the vacuum hoses.. and as we all know there are plenty of those, and it makes it difficult to pinpoint a leak unless you have a smoke machine. the least you can do is to check all the connections and visually inspect the hoses, worm clamps etc.

..i haven't had a chance to do anything yet, except reset the CEL... which has now came on again after a couple more warm up cycles.
I can notice the RMPs struggling a little bit now that i'm paying attention. never seems to dip under 500 though, but with my exhaust i can definitely notice a change of tone while idling

either way, when i have time.. i will clean the MAF sensor, throttle body, replace spark plugs, change fuel filter, and change my oil.

a combination of all these should eliminate the problem unless its a vacuum hose leaking... in which case it's most likely off to the mechanic.

also, i'm not sure if we have a IAC motor or not, but isn't the throttle plate in our throttle body controlled by some kind of motor?? possibly a malfunction with that... (shot in the dark)

http://www.canada355.com/
2005 Black LS Extd. I5 Z85/2WD
rubinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Actually, our engines don't have a lot of vacuum hoses. Check every connection on the air intake between the MAF sensor and the throttlebody. Spray some carb cleaner on each connection and see if the rpms change. If you still have the factory intake, check the plastic ducts and resonator for cracks. Don't forget to check the PCV hose from the top of the valve cover to the bottom of the resonator. Mine is showing signs of dry rot.
2005 Z71 LS Crew Cab 4X4 L52, 4L60E, GT4, Silver Birch Metallic MAXX Shackles: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...here-here.html MAXX Cam JR Lift Kit for 4X4 & 2WD Z71: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...ering-kit.html
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...t-numbers.html PerforMAXX Body Lift: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...y-spacers.html
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the threads. This site is awesome. Cleaned the MAF sensor and throuttle body butterfly, gained appx 100 RPM at warm idle and check engine light has not reappeared. For now anyway.
jimbo531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am having the same p0506 code with the check engine light. How would I go about cleaning the MAF sensor and the throttle body butterfly? At times I do notice a drop and bounce in rpms when idling.
WSTEW0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan

Here's the how-to for the throttle body: http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/view ... =8&t=54407

For the MAF sensor, pick up a can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner at a local auto parts store

DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank You!!
WSTEW0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.