Front Brake Rotor Removal - Page 7 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #61 (permalink)

Default Re: Front Brake Rotor Removal

Hey guys, I thought I read on this forum that you had to buy the whole hub assembly because you could not get the ABS sensor on 4WD. Can I purchase the front ABS sensor without the hub??? Thanks
DT51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy

I can't recall but you could call your local dealer parts dept and find out.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbody4life
I found it easier to take the four bolts holding the hub on almost completely off then putting a small 2x4 on it and hitting the bolts all the way around. It loosens the hub enough to take off by hand. And the hub will only go as far as the bolt so no damaged parts unless you miss the 2x4 and hit your sensor.
I just did my brakes and rotors today and I used this basic concept but what A PAIN IN THE ASS. The engineers must have had a bad night before they sat down at the drawing board that day. I've done well over a thousand brake jobs in my life and this was by far the worst experience I've had with removing front rotors. Why didn't they just make the rotors as slip-ons or bolt-ons over the hub.
ctrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #64 (permalink)

my chevy silverado was so easy to change rotors.if mine need replaced i think i will not tackle it,i like to try things but its hard on my legs/back to sit and do these things like i used too.my mechanic said he will do it at my home for 100 dollars ,so if i am still in business thats way i will go.

yet i feel i want to try it ,i like working on trucks.....
sproulman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #65 (permalink)

Lots of good info here.

'69 Chevy C10 LWB "Parts Truck"

'06 GMC CANYON Z85 "Daily Driver"
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #66 (permalink)

I have a 2006 GMC Canyon that I changed the rotors on today. Took maybe two hours. I went into it with only the knowledge I had read on this board the past few days and I say it was not difficult. Not easy, but not difficult. The toughest part was getting the rotor off. Using a block of wood between the rotor and frame and then turning the steering wheel made it easy though. Need two people for that.

After reading so much about abs faults I was paranoid as **** about breaking the abs sensor. But that too was easy. I disconnected the sensor from the gray connector hidden in the back, and disconnected it all the way down to the back of the rotor. Popped the rotor with the wood block while turning the wheel and used a screwdriver to pry out the black metal ring that is the sensor.

I did not remove the steering knuckle. Didn't seem necessary.

Taking the hub off the rotor and reassembly was easy.

I reseated the black metal sensor ring on the back of the rotor with the wood block and a hammer after reattaching the rotor. No abs faults. (Sweet!)

I think the key is to disconnect the abs sensor wire up to the back of the rotor before doing anything, and don't let the rotor fall allowing it to jerk the sensor wire.

I threw in new pads too. I will never pay to get brakes done again. I laughed at how simple changing the pads was.

I used Wagner rotors and pads. From what I've heard they are a reputable American manufacturer.

The only other thing I would say is to be equipped with an array of metric sockets, a breaker bar and a friend, as well as the earlier mentioned wood block.

I definitely could not have done this with such ease without all of the awesome info I found here. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Now to tackle the blower resistor and connector. But that's for another thread...
thomasj_w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #67 (permalink)

someone needs to make cd of how to do it step by step. i would pay for one...
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #68 (permalink)

Try it yourself, without it. At the least, have your laptop next to you with this page to reference. Once you get the tire off and look at whats going on, it's pretty straight forward. You have to take one piece off at a time before you can remove the next. You need sockets to remove everything.

If you've built anything before, a shed, or deck, or put anything together before, a swing set, a bicycle, a home theatre system, I would venture to say you could probably handle this diy. That is saying you have the few tools you need.
thomasj_w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #69 (permalink)

Thomasj_w,

Excuse me for chirping in here but I have a similar question.

I attempted to replace my rotors but could not get the old ones off. Did you need a wheel puller? I figured that if the old one is that hard to get off, will the new one need to be pressed on? I asked my mechanic and he looked up the repair time on his computer... it told him 5 hours labor and it involves disconnecting the steering knuckle. (cha-ching...!) Now I am not sure what to do. Any advice will help. My Colorado is 4x4. Your point about disconnecting the abs sensor is well taken. Thanks. - Len
Lens20v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #70 (permalink)

i think someone shows how to take rotors off without taking off knuckle.it was over on the another forun called CHEVY NATION or something like that .he showed a way to not disconnect the knuckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.