2004 Colorado - won't crank - Interior power appears fine - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2004 Colorado - won't crank - Interior power appears fine

I drive my truck to and from several places last Sunday. At 6 I decide to go feed the horses. The truck won't start. Argggg.

Symptoms:
No start
No crank (no attempt to turn over, to ticking, no nothing)
Battery light on after all the lights settle
Power windows go up and down at same speed as normal
radio works, etc

Additional Info:
I replaced my battery for the first time after 4.5 years about 8 months ago.
I just went to "Low Fuel" within the mile before turning engine off.
When I lifted the hood, the air hose (or whatever) that goes into the battery casing was off
The top to the fuse box was off
I know it wasn't off the day prior.
I checked several fuses (any that had to do with ignition or starter) with my little weenie plastic fuse checker from Autozone. They were 'green'

I attempted to jump it but in all honesty I am not sure I did it right (can you do it wrong?) Of course I used a Pontiac Vibe (does that make a difference?)

Anything thoughts you have I am willing to look at. I just feel like it is right there and can't be that complicated...in other words I don't want to pay someone to do something I can do myself.

Thanks!!!
Cathie
GrifterGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Interior power appears fine - won't crank - 2004 Colorado

Out in the fusebox are about 4 very tall silver bolts. The fusebox is a multilayer sandwich. If they come loose, the fuses will not socket properly into the board below.

You checked fuses, I'd pay particular attention to the large grey boxes [the relays]. Check out the run/crank one.

I find it suspicious that the fusebox mysteriously lost the lid overnight. Do you park outside?
Glamdring70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I park outside. I just moved here so no one can hate me yet. LOL

The reason I know it was there Saturday is because before I drove back from Vegas I checked my oil and radiator. I would have seen it sitting on my engine like I did Sunday.

The only thing I can think of is that I have been in the fuse box before replacing this or that fuse. Maybe I didn't replace it correctly and when I went thru the car wash the day before the under carriage wash blew it off. Far fetched, but it's possible.

When the fuse box lid came off, the hose to the battery case came off. Which, by the way, what is that hose for?

Did I mention I live in the desert and it is hot as...well, it has been 115 average.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will check the bolts tonight. I also found the following, which I am going to check tonight (double check fuse and look at brake bracket) and will update as to whether it corrects my problem.

"The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
No crank, no start and IGN fuse number 23 may be open. This fuse is located in the UBEC.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Inspect the brake pedal bracket for a chaffed harness. It has been noted on some vehicles that circuit 1433 may contact the brake bracket and be chaffed to ground. Repair the chaffed wire(s) and isolated the harness to prevent further contact with the brake bracket and replace the fuse.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(04 Chevrolet Colorado Pick Up) and (04 GMC Canyon Pick Up)"
Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: 2004 Colorado - won't crank - Interior power appears fine

I checked fuse 23 again and it is good.

I looked at the brake bracket and everything appeared to be in place.

I tighted down the UBEC.

Still no start or crank.

I will have it towed tomorrow most likely and will post the outcome.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

well that makes 2 of us now. my truck ran perfectly fine yesterday and now all of the sudden she won't start. all the electronics inside are fine and the battery has a full charge. i suspect it may be one of the relays are bad (the big grey boxes in the fuse box,) but i have no clue how to check if they are. there are 3 or 4 of them that deal with the ignition system. since the starter won't even go i'm thinking it might be the starter relay, but who knows. i probably won't be able to troubleshoot until tomorrow when i can get to the junk yard and pick up a few relays.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok, maybe i'm blind, but could anyone tell me where the starter is? i can't find my hanes manual (i think it migrated inside and if it did the kids probably copperfielded it) to help me find it. i want to try jumping the starter directly to the battery (read somewhere else that someone had to do this for a while to get it to run) but it would help troubleshooting also.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 2004 Colorado, but I imagine your starter is in the same insane place mine is. Under the intake manifold. Yes, it's true.

I thought mine was a relay and if it had been, it would have been less than 60$. A chevy dealer can check that for you. As far as it being the starter, thats an 800$ job.

Let me know what happens. I am curious.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

so, after putting the battery on the charger for a while (experimenting and trying to start it drained the battery), i was able to get it to start but it was a hard start. i let it run for a couple mins and was able to get it start at will after that. i let it be and about 5 hours later tried it again. it was a very tough start again the first time and acted the same as before. this morning, it was completely dead and didn't even have enough juice to turn the locks on the remote keyless.

so, i've either got a dead battery (which would be weird since the interior stuff worked upon first discovery) and/or i'm drawing a charge even with it off.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gettingspeedy Send a message via MSN to gettingspeedy

hip cat, my guess is your battery needs to be replaced. however if you believe that is not the problem, try doing a parasitic drain test to determine if your battery is being drained over night.
gettingspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.