Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to coldsolderjoint
Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

Hello,

Can you guys tell me the proper procedure for changing the automatic transmission fluid on my truck. It's an 06 Crew Cab, 4 Cylinder, 2WD, Automatic Trans.

Is it just a simple drain, change the filter, and refill like an oil change?

Thank You,
coldsolderjoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Re: Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-tuto ... hange.html

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to gixxr750
good write up... thanks for the link!

06' I5 z85 crew cab, over the past three years... k&n cold air, hptuner tuned, test pipe, gutted first cat,
low pro crossmember, trail blazer tb mod, 20" american racing trench, belltech adj. coilovers,
3" lower control arms (front), 3" belltech springs/shocks (back) + 1" blocks, belltech front/rear sway bars,
v-led LED's, HID reverse light mod, gps navigation, back-up camera, alpine 7" flip screen.
kicker 2500.1, kicker 300.1, boss 30 farad cap, 3 12" kicker L7's, inifnity reference mids/highs,
wishlist: boston acoustic pro's, body kit, turbo? hot dangit i love my truck! I'm addicted!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsolderjoint View Post
Hello,

Can you guys tell me the proper procedure for changing the automatic transmission fluid on my truck. It's an 06 Crew Cab, 4 Cylinder, 2WD, Automatic Trans.

Is it just a simple drain, change the filter, and refill like an oil change?

Thank You,
coldsolderjoint
Only one thing to add to this is to make sure you get the old (o) ring out of the tube area where it slides in at. Quite easy to overlook, other that it straight forward. Just don't ring the bolts off of the pan.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:14 AM

Pick the right filter!!! There are differences

Re-posting this from Mikey945
His post saved me big time! I had went to 3 different places including napa and oriley before i found the correct filter for the 4wds at autozone

------------------------------------

Iím posting this to see if anyone else out there has had a similar experience and to hopefully help someone else who might be headed down the same road. I have a 2004 Colorado Ext Cab 4wd 3.5 liter.

I wanted to change my auto trans filer and oil, which usually is no big deal right? Well, I bought the filter kit and oil ahead of time from NAPA. This Saturday I finally found some time to actually do the job. I manage to get the pan off, not too hard. I get the old filter off and bring it to the bench. Hmmm, the new filter is shaped a bit different. Oh well, no big deal I thought. Oh how wrong I was. The pan would not go back on, there was at least Ĺ inch gap with the new filter hitting the pan specifically where the pan is tapered to allow clearance for the front drive shaft. Damn, those guys at NAPA gave me the wrong filter. I call them up, sure they say we have at least 4 different filters for the 4L60E trans. Bring in your old one and weíll get it matched up. Well, I get there and no luck. They canít find one thatís the same shape, however the one I originally bought, NAPA # ATP19750, was indeed listed in their books as the one for my truck. So, I call another store, they had a FRAM Ft1217 filter kit. I take it out of the box, same thing as the one from NAPA, wrong again. Well, by this time all the dealers are closed and I really need to get this thing finished by Monday. So I go home and start searching the internet. Turns out not only NAPA and FRAM list the incorrect filter, Purolator does as well, Part number P1267, at least the photo they show for it indicates it is incorrect as it looks the same as the NAPA and FRAM. I also discovered that they list the same filter kit for 2wd or 4wd. They only way I discovered that there are different filters for 2wd and 4wd was when I checked out the AC Delco site, 2 different parts numbers clearly marked one for 2wd, one for 4wd. Bad thing was I could not find any store who sold the AC Delco kit. Probably a dealer item. Thatís when I found AutoZone. They clearly showed two separate kits, TF361 for the 4wd, TF351 for the 2wd. I had to drive an hour and half to the nearest Autozone to get the kit, but to me it was worth it to get the truck back running for work on Monday.

Having not seen a 2wd Colorado Auto Trans. Pan, I take it that it must not be tapered for the front drive shaft clearance in the same way as mine is, as a result these other filters would probably work. What stinks is that, I cannot believe that at least 3 different filter manufacturers list the incorrect filter. This turned a job that should have taken a few hours into a 2 day ordeal. Maybe there would not have been a problem had I went to the dealer in the first place, however I didnít feel like paying an arm and a leg to get a simple filter kit that should be easily attainable at any parts store.

Well, if you donít feel like reading my whole rant, you can obtain the correct Auto Trans filter kit for a 2004 Colorado, 4wd, 3.5 liter, ext cab at Autozone part number TF361.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf filters.pdf (310.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode