GM sues steering column supplier - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GM sues steering column supplier

Now all the popping, clicking, knocking, rattling or just 'broken' intermediate steering shafts can now wait for a ruling....maybe not a solution but a ruling.

~

General Motors Co. has sued a supplier over problems with steering columns that have so far cost the automaker more than $30 million to fix.

The Detroit automaker is seeking damages from JTEKT North America Inc. and subsidiary JTEKT Automotive Virginia Inc. for problems associated with steering products used in the Chevrolet Cobalt and other GM vehicles since 2005.

GM claims the steering columns "had excessive gear backlash, thereby causing the columns to rattle under certain driving conditions."

Problems with the parts resulted in an "unexpectedly high number" of warranty claims and complaints about "unusual rattles, 'clunks' or other noises emanating from the steering assemblies in their vehicles," GM alleges in the lawsuit, originally filed in Macomb County Circuit Court but moved last week to federal court in Detroit.

While the problem has already cost GM more than $30 million, the automaker said it expects the bill will rise as GM customers file additional warranty claims.

The company noted that parts were used in "tens of thousands of vehicles sold by GM."

Robert Haddad, a lawyer for JTEKT, stressed that this is not a safety issue but "a noise issue."

"They asked us to supply a part, they gave us specifications, they gave us testing requirements and we met all of those," he said.

Furthermore, he said, the supplier wants to continue working with GM to resolve the issue.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to burn
Default Re: GM sues steering column supplier

My column did this in my 06. Had it replaced under warranty.

Colorado & Canyon Club of CANADA - Member #13
20" RTX Blackhawk rims, 4/5 Drop (all Belltech), Belltech front & rear swaybars, Kenwood DDX6019 DVD / Sirius / iPod / Bluetooh, StreetScene Rollpan, Low-Profile X-Member, C-Notch, Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, K&N FIPK, Line-x, HIDs, Optima, Donnelly 36400 Mirror, Smooth Fuel Door, A1Electric Power Windows Conversion, etc.
burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did it solve your problems?

I think the problem is in engineering ... not defective parts ... had my 05' done also ... still a problem ... lubing with Molykote paste seems to help for a bit though.

07' on models have a redesigned shaft which I hear fixes the problem. No redesigned parts for 06' back as of yet.

I would like to know how many members have had the intermediate shaft issue fixed with no more symptoms or less symptoms.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

My steering column makes a strange noise when I'm turning to the right and turn my wheel back to center...I always just assumed that it just needed grease as it only does this every once in a while. Maybe it's related...at any rate I almost never hear it even when it does happen because I always listen to music...I'll just try greasing it well.
-Branden

"Stupidity is like nuclear power...it can be used for good or evil...and you don't want to get any on you"
CanyonAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

My wheel physically moves up and down. And its not the tilt mechanism. Pops sometimes...

www.krissplicing.com
KCinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Global Moderator

My steering column started making some strange noises within the last couple of months. Of course, I'm waaaaaay out of warranty. I can hear a sound that sounds like rubbing when turning. And then there is a distinct little pop when turning lock to lock.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I wonder if they're successful in their suit, will they fix these when the warranty has run out? Or will I have to then sue GM to try and get it fixed? Seems like a reasonable thing to do since they're suing the maker.

Actually, I can live with it as long as it doesn't fall apart, cause a wreck, and make me pay several hundred bucks to fix the **** thing.

10,000 Posts Club Member #1
Conservative Club Member #2
Gun Toting American Club Member #3
Danny45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Since it got cold mine turned from an annoying little noise to a full out squeak. I'm going to try a dry lubricant such as a graphite lubricant (won't attract dust) and see if I can get it to stop. I'll keep everyone updated on whether I'm successful or not.
-Branden

"Stupidity is like nuclear power...it can be used for good or evil...and you don't want to get any on you"
Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

If yours is a squeek when it's colder out...sounds like cab mount bushing...if it makes a knock up through the steering wheel or in the pedal area...it's the intermediate shaft.

Two different issues.

Both issues have made me crazy/driving me to drink...:)
Old 12-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzsv4k
If yours is a squeek when it's colder out...sounds like cab mount bushing...if it makes a knock up through the steering wheel or in the pedal area...it's the intermediate shaft.

Two different issues.

Both issues have made me crazy/driving me to drink...:)
What if I already drink? lol

I think the squeak is coming from the cab mount bushing. But the other noise has disappeared which leads me to believe that it was also the bushing. It wasn't so much a knock as almost a squeak/rattle. I've never heard another sound like it so I really don't know how to describe it.
-Branden

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

My steering column pops when it hot out at least 80F it will pop if I turn left or right. And the cab mounts on these trucks are terrible.
FIPK 57 K&N Intake
Flowmaster 40 muffler
Bridgestone A/T
PCMforless Tune
Tranny Cooler
red12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.