No Heat - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No Heat

My Mom has an '08 Colorado and I'm trying to help my Dad to identify her no heat problem. It don't sound like the resistor/ connector problem that I'm having on my truck. He sait that all four fan speeds work at all times, but she's not getting hot air. He said that when he switches the thermostat back & forth from hot to cold he gets "lukewarm" air. Any clues as to what the culprit might be?

My Car Domain Page

*4" Skyjacker Lift System
*20" Wheels
*Nitto Dune Grapplers 285/55/20
*Great Audio
*Lots Of Color Matched Paint
*Billet Grille
*Flowmaster w/ Catback Dual Exhaust
*Etc.....
Augsdoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: No Heat

Do you have a Scangauge or something to get the Water Temperature? Might be a thermostat stuck open so the engine doesn't get warm. Short trips in cold weather? What's the temp. gauge at when the truck's running?
(Sorry for the questions to answer your question but I think we need more info)
Canyon & Colorado Club of Canada! #8
06 Canyon WT (plain as plain gets - even has roll-up windows)
Sunburst-Orange (funky colour)
18" Extreme wheels with 235/50R18 Yokohama ENVigor
ScanGauge II, Sirius, Spray-in liner, Truxedo LoPro Tonneau cover
Debadged, Front Logo painted black, 3rd brake-light flipped, Steel Roll-pan, RedLine hood struts

KRFabs low-profile transmission cross-member, 2/3 drop from Belltech-12001s/blocks
(2012 project: colour matched SS bumper/grill)
SpindlyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a scangauge that I can plug into her OBD latwer this week. I'll give that a try. If the water temp doesn't get to where it should be, I'll assume that the thermostat is the problem. Thanks.

My Car Domain Page

*20" Wheels
*Great Audio
*Billet Grille
*Etc.....
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

i know exactly what the problem is....

take the radio bezel off, and then take the HVAC controls out, there is a white plastic piece on the back of it where the bicycle type wire has a triangular mount, it has probably popped out of that plastic piece that holds it stationary...the knob still turns, but never shifts the flapper to heat....
i just had the same problem a couple wks ago
5% tint; Flowmaster 50 series; K&N Air Filter

Custom tune by Stocker2!!!
100,000 miles and counting
Lifted Club Member # 277
rtmsu_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmsu_02

take the radio bezel off, and then take the HVAC controls out, there is a white plastic piece on the back of it where the bicycle type wire has a triangular mount, it has probably popped out of that plastic piece that holds it stationary...the knob still turns, but never shifts the flapper to heat....

Ok awesome, I'm sending a link to my Dad to follow this thread. The replies so far should help him to narrow the problem down. I'll post up when we figure out what the solution actually is. we appreciate the help. :D

My Car Domain Page

*20" Wheels
*Great Audio
*Billet Grille
*Etc.....
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to naskie18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsdoggs
Quote:

Ok awesome, I'm sending a link to my Dad to follow this thread. The replies so far should help him to narrow the problem down. I'll post up when we figure out what the solution actually is. we appreciate the help. :D
If that's the problem, you should be able to notice without even pulling the cover off the HVAC controls, there will be absolutely no resistance when you turn the temp dial.

Hopefully that's it :)

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

naskie18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

In the mean time, apply the sheet of cardboard remedy, just keep an eye on the temperature gauge..

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
Reached 100,000 miles on 1/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
120.000 miles on 07/08/14
davn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

One of four things listed in order of probability:

A heater control problem. The fix was was described previously in this thread.

A thermostat problem. If the driver / owner knows where the temperature gauge normally reads simply look at the gauge and see if it is much lower than normal. Mine is up to full temperature in less than 5 miles when the outside temperature is 10 degrees F. If it isn't up to normal after 5 miles then it is probably a thermostat problem.

Low on coolant. Check the coolant level in the radiator not just in the overflow bottle.

Plugged heater core. This is very common on GM vehicles since they started using Dexcool antifreeze. If the coolant has ever been low and air got into the system, Dexcool will crystalize and plug up things. The first thing to plug up is the heater core. You can fill up the system and backflush the heater core with a garden hose. If this is your issue, I would some time in the near future dump the Dexcool (AKA Death-Cool), flush the entire system with a good cleaner, and refill it with a good non-Dexcool antifreeze. There have been lots of law suits against GM over Dexcool crystallization and lost engines.

The above are my best guesses. You mileage may vary.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

08 should not have DEATHCOOL problem as she would not have miles on it to cause problem.also always put the DEXCOOL back in ,not green stuff.just change the anti-freeze every 3 years and not let it go beyond that,i do mine every 2 yrs as its cheap and i do it myself.
i had DEATHCOOL problem bigtime in my chevy silverado 4.3 liter v-6.no way i will ever let DEXCOOL in my truck past 3 yrs.
sproulman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsdoggs
Quote:

If that's the problem, you should be able to notice without even pulling the cover off the HVAC controls, there will be absolutely no resistance when you turn the temp dial.

Hopefully that's it :)

very goodpoint, may save him tearing off things.he should be able to FEEL if its opening /closing in there thru the dial feeling.
sproulman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.