2005 Colorado starting problems - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2005 Colorado starting problems

Can anyone help me out.
I drive a 05 Colorado 100,000K, any no problems with it other than a starting problem that happens once or twice a year.
During a cold start, i would turn the key and start the engine other than when i turn the key to start it cranks but doesnt start as if it isnt getting any gas. After about ten minutes i eventually get it started. Now i know it isnt the fuel pump because it doesnt hesitate and it runs fine after i get it started.
i took it to a mechanic i had him clean the throttle body, injectors, pressure check the fuel pump etc and nothing was wrong. He gave me some tips on starting based on GM starting problems with trucks and stated that theres a check valve in the pump or sending unit in the tank that gets stuck closed and does pump the correct pressure to the TB. If the problem happens again turn the key to the On Position wait a few seconds and turn it off. then start again the same way and it will pump the valve open again. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any other input?? I might have awnsered my own question here but does anyone have had this similiar problem. Let me know
Mark,
Happy Easter!
lilrabbit246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2005 Colorado starting problems

have same truck same problem! all I did is replace the fuel filter and this solved the problem, mind you I have replaced the filter twice in the 4 yrs I had the truck, the filter is located right under the driver/rear passenger door. good luck
raredogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

same problem here on a 2004. It is my mom's truck. she called me a few weeks ago and said the fuel pump went out. So I drove the 2.5 hours to her place and put a new GM pump and filter in. A few days later it happened again. She claims it happened one time about a year ago and now twice in a 2 week time span. I drove back down and picked up the truck. I have been driving it for about 3 days and haven't had it act up.

I have been browsing around here trying to find a fix. I found this post viewtopic.php?t=3766 and was going to check it out 2morrow.

I was thinking about throwing a pressure regulator at it. From how the issue was described to me it seems like the fuel pressure is bleeding down after the truck sits overnight, etc. I have noticed when you first turn the key on the fuel pump comes on, but if you cycle the key the second time you turn it on the pump can not be audibly heard. But when you come back in ten minutes or so and turn the key on. The fuel pump cylces again. My theory is that the pump doesn't run long enough on the initial key cycle, so you need the second prime to get the truck to start due to the pressure bleeding off.

I also found some info on here about a PCM software issue where the idle is bumped up to 650rpm to fix some rough idle issues. I was thinking about contacting the dealer and having this done. Perhaps with the newer software the issue is resolved. Its just a guess, but i don't think it can hurt.
LukeT32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your symptom is indicative of a bad check valve in the pump or a bad pressure regulator. I have a Blazer that has been doing the same thing for a couple of years now. I'm just to lazy to fix it. I just turn the key on twice to let the fuel pump double cycle and it starts right up. If you have a fuel pressure tester you can attach it and proove if this is your problem or not. The pressure should stay up after the key is turned off.

Here is a cheap fuel pressure tester:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92699
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did some more research and found apparently there is a common problem with our ignition switches. Hook up a scanner and read the codes in the BCM. If there are any for passlock more then likely the ignition switch is bad.
LukeT32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

mine had the same problems it was weird it wouldnt start at the wrong times as if someone didnt want me to drive lol
but i came to the conclusion that it was my sillonoide on my starter idk the spelling lol
and havent had a prob since!!
hope this helps
TrevorG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeT32
Did some more research and found apparently there is a common problem with our ignition switches. Hook up a scanner and read the codes in the BCM. If there are any for passlock more then likely the ignition switch is bad.
i also read its the passlock thing doing it.they need to check codes.its then either the ignition switch or bcm.
sproulman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.