Transmission fluid flush - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Transmission fluid flush

I recently had my transmission fluid service done at the dealership, and they apparently connect it to a machine a flush the fluid. My previous car was really old, and they always use to remove the pan and change the filter and fluid. What is the deal with this new service? They make it out to be the best method on the market. Who is this best for??? They leave the old filter in the case, never drop the pan, and change out the fluid with a long hose. Is this OK?? I am out of date and old school perhaps, but I thought they had to change the filter.

It seems that even my local transmission shop that has been in town forever is even pushing the flush/change system. Can someone explain how this machine works? I plan to own my Colorado for a long time, so I don't know if there is a point where I should ask them to change the filter. It sounds to me that they will never change the filter or drop the pan as long as they have this machine.

Any advice helpful. I want to trust this machine, but not at the cost of longevity. Should I be requesting that the filter be changed at intervals. I own a 06 with the I5 engine and automatic transmission.
scott4789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Transmission fluid flush

I have an '05 with 68,000 and am only thinking of changing my ATF and filter early (book says 100k.) because I am towing a camper 1800 miles one way to Yellowstone NP. I bought the 5 quarts at Wal Mart and the $27 filter at Auto Zone. Will give to my usual shop to R&R while they also do my engine oil/filter and fuel filter changes.

How many miles you have on an "06? Should be no where near time to change. Never heard of the sysytem you are refering to.
high tech. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

System flush is fine for most people if you stay on top of it. 30k intervals for the flush max. Keeping the fluid clean will also help keep the filter clean. Tranny flush is not recommended for vehicles that have neglected the transmission fluid for 80-100k because people have reported that doing it actually breaks alot of the buildup off and clogs the transmission filter.

But that being said.........I dropped the pan and attempted to change the ATF and filter in my 07 at 30k. I always like changing the filter early to get rid of any garbage the filter may have picked up from the factory or the breakin process. Multiple filters that were "suppose" to fit did not so I ended up only flushing the fluid and cleaning the pan out. Did get some junk of the magnet so it was not a complete waste. At least I know I have good quality AMSoil ATF in there now. Will try another filter change at 60k.
2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 Crew Cab | 3.7 I5 - Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | Custom blurred grille | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | HP Tuner Pro wideband tuned by ME! | AMSoil fluids FTW!
............2010 SESM Oct 22-24 Details Here
jackedupcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is the differance between flushing and just changing the filter.

If you just remove the transmission pan and replace the filter you will only get about 3 to 4 quarts of fluid out. Most of the fluid is in the torque converter and dropping the pan will not get it out of the converter.

The flushing machine method attaches to the transmission cooler lines and uses the transmission pump to displace the old fluid with new fluid. This is the preferred method of service. However also replace the filter at the same time. The magnet in the pan traps debris that develops in the pan as well as the filter traps it also.

The other question has to due with fluid and that is a personal choice, synthetic or conventional. Remember to use Dextron VI only as the type.

Other options are get a larger pan with a drain plug in it so the fluid will be easier to drain (less messy). Look at an after market inline transmission filter and a cooler if you haul or live in really hot part of the country.

Hope this helps.

2007 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 2WD Z85 Victory Red

3.7L
BigR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

One of their fancy machine might be able to a better flush but i can get just about all of it out myself using the following procedure which I did (take 2-3 people):

AMSOIL - Transmission Flush Procedure
2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 Crew Cab | 3.7 I5 - Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | Custom blurred grille | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | HP Tuner Pro wideband tuned by ME! | AMSoil fluids FTW!
............2010 SESM Oct 22-24 Details Here
jackedupcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great assistance and advice. Appreciate the help.
scott4789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.