2006 chevy colorado purge valve - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 chevy colorado purge valve

Hello. I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado with what I believe is a purge valve issue. DIC code P0449. My check engine light came on a few weeks back and had a dignostic on it. code suggested I change gas cap. i did this. It worked for about a week than my light came back on. (it always comes on at START OF ENGINE) and coincidentally both times the fuel was at 3/4 a tank. Anyways, was looking for instructions and maybe pictures on how to replace this. thank you in advance.
trahansrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2006 chevy colorado purge valve

the purge valve is located on the left side of the engine block on a bracket ahead of the starter.it is easier to reach with the left finderwell liner removed.
sttuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

the purge valve and the vent valve is opened by the pcm when the engine is running and warmed to a preset temperature along with a few other conditions. so at start up you are saying is your engine warm or cold startup when the light comes on.
sttuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are you sure the purge valve is your problem? CEL code P0449 states Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit fault. The vent valve is located on the charcoal canister just in front of the spare tire underneeth the bed. I've removed the purge valve from my engine, just to check to make sure it works, and to do so I simply used a 12v drill battery to make sure the solenoid cycled. All was well there, so I'm leaning towards the vent valve on the canister. I believe its a different CEL code for a malfunction of the purge valve on the engine... perhaps someone knows which one.

Also, before you spend 185 bucks on one, I've read that you can buy the same part for a Silverado of the same year, and its 1/5th the cost, with the exception that you have to reuse the quick-disconnect hose that's attached to it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a p0449 a few weeks ago also. Ended up being the Purge valve not the vent vavle. Had a **** of a time getting either one. Ended up just going to the dealership to get both. I bought a Hummer h2 vent valve, i'll see if i can get the part number for you off my invoice. And just bought the 06 purge valve. But i'll tell you the stupid purge vavle was a pain the ass to get in only because i got big head that doesn't enjoy such a small spot. You need to take the driver side front wheel off, and the wheel splash guard. I also too off the battery and battery box, loosened up the wiriring harsnass stuff there to get my hand in it. Make sure to take off the 2 hoses first one is kind of a quick connect and the second is the pinch type, and the eletric connect then unbolt it. But the vent valve is a piece of cake.

Problem i had with looking through the old p0449 threads on the forum was it wasn't clear to me then that the vent valve is on the canister by the spare tire and the Purge valve is on the driver side of the engine block under the intake manifold.
texa150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dorman 911-070 Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid $78.42 @ stockwiseauto.com

Dang dealer want's 300+
unixbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

what if you just ignore the dam thing what will it hurt
deak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you live where there are no vehicle inspections, not correcting the problem probably won't affect the operation of the truck much, if any. If the vent solenoid sticks closed it can affect fueling. With the vent closed the fuel pressure has less of an area to vent and can keep shutting off the pump. The "check engine" light will remain on so you will not know if another problem occurs, that might be more serious.
cart7881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

^^^Ditto^^^

Even thought this is a dead-thread resurrected...ignoring any code/repair can cascade into bigger problems.
Born in the USofA!
Iceman62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.