Engine Light - Thermostat or Cooling Sensor? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine Light - Thermostat or Cooling Sensor?

2005 Colorado, 127,000 miles, 4 cylinder engine.
Engine light came on yesterday & I went by Autozone to have them do the free diagnostic check.
The guy told me the code it gave indicated either low coolant level (level was fine), a bad cooling sensor or a bad thermostat.
The truck has never seemed to run hot, but I guess if a sensor was bad it probably wouldn't let me know anyway, huh?
How expensive would this be at a garage vs how difficult would it be to do myself?
The last thermostat I replaced was probably on a 68 El Camino, but I have done the throttle body cleaning & replaced spark plugs on my Colorado from how-to info given here.
Any advice appreciated!
texan767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan
Default Re: Engine Light - Thermostat or Cooling Sensor?

Did he tell you what the code was?

I got the p0128 code and it was the thermostat. It was stuck open and did not let the engine reach proper operating temp.

DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, he just said that's what the code indicated, one of those three possibilities.
For a $40 part, how difficult is changing the thermostat?
I've heard some crazy things, like there is no drain in the radiator...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan

Correct, there is no drain on the cooling system.

It's relatively simple. Raise the truck, remove the driver's side front wheel and the wheel well rubber splash shield. You will then see the lower radiator hose. Follow it to the block and you will find the t-stat housing/neck. Remove the two 10mm bolts then pull it back so you can remove the hose from the neck. You will lose about a quart to half gallon of coolant. Install the hose onto the new t-stat (be sure to line up the line on the hose with the notch on the t-stat housing to insure proper installation), bolt it back on the block and top off with coolant.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey, DBNissan, or anyone, really.
I "think" I saw this code come up before when we got hit by a nice cold blast last week. I didn't think anything of it so I just reset it. but I'm pretty sure it was the same P0128 code. During normal driving, my thermostat never reaches the first 1/4 mark. Matter of fact, this whole week in the 50s that temp needle never exceeded the halfway point between the Cold line and the first 1/4 mark line. If it was truly P0128, how long would it take for the CEL to come back on? I haven't had it on for 5-6 days now, and it's been 50's-60's every morning and evening...

It "seems" to me like I'm getting slightly better fuel economy this way...but what are some of the cons of leaving a stuck-open thermostat on?

ALSO, please be advise, I did a flush 2 years ago and filled up with 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter, topped off the rest with 50/50 GM Coolant. About once a year the reserve drops under the full-cold line by one-finger or so and I just top off again.

It's funny because when I checked it then it was fine and I put it in the correct way in...or at least I think I did...I "think" the spring-mechanism goes facing away from the engine...but honestly I can't remember, I just know however it came out I put it back in the same exactly way.

any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Volant CAI w/ RamAir
HPTuners custom tune
200 RWTQ @ 4,200 RPM
207 RWHP @ 5,800 RPM
VortecI5fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

The P0128 code will come on when the PCM detects that the engine does not reach a minimum operating temp within a certain amount of time based on IAT and ambient temp. I noticed on my scangauge that my temp was about 10-15F below the normal range of 195-205F that my truck used to operate in. I too did notice slightly better fuel economy at the beginning. However, the cooler temps will potentially prevent the PCM from switching to closed-loop. When the programming is in open-loop, the engine runs a little richer. That can lead to carbon deposit build-up and a clogged catalytic over an extended period of time. The carbon deposits alone will lower the fuel economy in the long run.

Which spring mechanism are you referring to?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNissan
Which spring mechanism are you referring to?
It's been a while so I don't even remember what our thermostat looks like, the "spring" side, or flat-side of the thermostat. Not he round "hub" side. I "think" it was set with the "spring"/"flat" side facing away from the engine...but honestly it's been so long I can't remember.

Last time I had the P0128 was 11/5/2010. So far today 11/15/2010 nothing yet...but I'm still keeping my eye on it for any CELs.
Volant CAI w/ RamAir
HPTuners custom tune
200 RWTQ @ 4,200 RPM
207 RWHP @ 5,800 RPM
Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

The t-stat can only go in one way. It's integrated into the housing. The housing and t-stat are sold as one unit.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

looks like I had it backwards in my head.

What is the part number to this?

So far no CEL yet. Still waiting...
Volant CAI w/ RamAir
HPTuners custom tune
200 RWTQ @ 4,200 RPM
207 RWHP @ 5,800 RPM
Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry I took a while to get back, but I'm getting the P0128 code.
From what I read here, lookes like the thermostat.
Any advice on replacing this?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.