Error Code:P0506, Low Idle - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Error Code:P0506, Low Idle

How do you correct this problem, the truck is a 2004 Colorado, Z71 4 x 4, ex cab, 109,800 miles.

In cold weather after start up it goes really low in the rpms at idle, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Error Code:P0506, Low Idle

Could be a dirty throttle body, if it hasn't been cleaned recently. It seems like a lot of times that issue first shows itself as a low idle in colder temperatures.

Check out these threads...if you do a search I'm sure there's more out there too.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84834

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54407

A dirty throttle body is the first thing I would look to rule out anyway. After the truck gets some miles on it, it probably needs to be cleaned once a year or so. I did mine last December (Just the TB clean, not the Seafoam) and no PO506 code since...debating on whether to do it preemptively this year, or wait and see if the idle starts to drop and it throws the code. Hope that helps.

Edit:

I have a 2007 Ford Focus that gets fussy with it's throttle body in the cold too. My inlaws have a Prius that needs it's throttle body cleaned periodically too...I've basically come to the conclusion that this is just a regular maintenance item on modern engines.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thankyou for the tip, I have never cleaned it, will do it shortly, thanks.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine was doing the same thing, I have over 100k on my truck as well. I did the throttle body cleaning yesterday, and she is idling like glass now right at about 700 - 750 rpms. Starts up real strong now too. Its super easy, and totally fixes this issue.
fredss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.