Excessive moisture in exhaust? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Excessive moisture in exhaust?

So today I pulled my 05 I5 into the garage. I cleaned the TB and inspected my cam actuator. I started it up and let it idle for a while while trying to look for a vaccuum leak. I shut it down and started it up maybe 3 times over 20 min while I screwed around. I started it up to back it out and I noticed that there was quite a bit of moisture coming out of the tail pipe and a small hole in the muffler...

Think this is normal because it idled for a while and shut off/started a couple times? I'm gonna keep a close eye on it tomorrow when I start it up again.
apz1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Excessive moisture in exhaust?

Yup, normal, usually under normal "driving" conditions, the system heats up to operating temperatures and not as much water comes through the system. You can often see drips from tailpipes when vehicles are stopped for a light. Sounds like you were running your system a little "colder" and stationary, so you saw more water than you would normally notice.

Now, the small hole in your muffler was not immediatley caused by this, sounds like the muffler is reaching the end of its useful life. Of course, short frequent trips, lots of short runs with your engine, will produce more moisture and leave it in the exhaust system after shutdown. If this moisture doesn't get "burned off" by normal operating temperatures, rust can shorten the life of your system.

Commuters usually have systems that last a long time because of the daily fully reached operating temperatures.
GM Performance CAI
Xenon Gas White headlights
Spyder tailights and smoked third brake light
enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Excessive moisture in exhaust?

The muffler has a small drain hole in it for just shuch a purpose. Either on the front or the back right at the lowest point before the lip. Most newer cars produce alot of water/condensation no matter how you drive it. (although short trips do make it worse) The hole will be very small about the size of a tooth pick.
Oscar-mayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.