Fuel Pump Replacement - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Both my gas tank vent valve and fuel gauge decide to stop working at the same time. I will either clean and/or replace the vent valve, no problem. I was thinking of fixing the gauge as well. I think it's the float in the tank itself. I figured I would probably swap out the fuel pump unit completely if I'm going to get into dropping the gas tank.

Has anyone replace the fuel pump? How long does it take? Any pointers, comments, ect. . .I believe I could drop the tank or remove the bed. I'm thinking dropping the tank would be easier, but I don't know. Fuel pump works fine so if it's gonna be too much hassel I can live with an erratic fuel gauge.

Thanks,

PS. It's an 2004 3.5L
rob678855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob678855
Both my gas tank vent valve and fuel gauge decide to stop working at the same time. I will either clean and/or replace the vent valve, no problem. I was thinking of fixing the gauge as well. I think it's the float in the tank itself. I figured I would probably swap out the fuel pump unit completely if I'm going to get into dropping the gas tank.

Has anyone replace the fuel pump? How long does it take? Any pointers, comments, ect. . .I believe I could drop the tank or remove the bed. I'm thinking dropping the tank would be easier, but I don't know. Fuel pump works fine so if it's gonna be too much hassel I can live with an erratic fuel gauge.

Thanks,

PS. It's an 2004 3.5L
Removing the bed is the easy way to go about this. If you have an engine hoist this will work fine for lifting the bed up and off. Much easier than removing a gas tank with fuel and those **** awful connections that you definetly do not want to break under any circumstances. Use two ratchet straps-one across the bed in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. This will give you a center lifting point for your hoist. Remove the right or left rear tire to get in close with the hoist and take the fuel neck loose and then unplug the wiring harness and lift up. Takes about less than 2 hours to change a fuel pump this way if you are an agressive person. Be prepared to shell out some mega dollars for the new fuel pump module.
Colorado Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement

Thanks. I don't have a hoist at the moment, so I was thinking of dropping the tank, but now I"m going to rethink. Yeah the module was around 450 at partssource. I found one for 230, with a work discount. You can also just get the level sensor for around 170 at the dealer, but I figure for all that trouble and 60 more bucks might as well swap the whole unit.
rob678855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.