Pass Lock How To: Ignition - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 AM

Cool Passlock

OK... My 2005 Colorado is having the same Passlock issues. I have been making a new key every 6 months (buying time with better key fitting in the tumblers), but my time with this Passlock is ending. In the the last few weeks, it has gotten worse - this 10 minute wait is a pain in the ass. My choices are (1) put in a bypass or (2) new ignition. After seeing the number of steps needed to replace the ignition, there is no way I am doing this myself (especially after seeing you have to pull the airbag - those things are big time expensive if damaged). On top of that, you still have to take the truck to the dealership to upload the new key ignition. I called the dealership, and was quoted about $550 (OUCH!)... For those that do not want to mess with a bypass, either pay the "expensiveship" (aka dealership), or find a very good independent experienced GM mechanic that will do it for a much cheaper price. -- I am still hesitant on going with a bypass. Messing the the original electrical engineering, especially with this sensors and relays, is a little troubling. By the way, I have the Colorado 4 door Z71 -- this is a great concept car. Perfect for my needs - It's the freakin electrical system that's a pain - (front and back lights burn out, the blower wiring harness gets fried, the dashboard lights go off once in a few for a few minutes --).... I hope the newer Colorado is much better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 PM

I was able to disable the passlock on mine very easily. Could be different on yours, I have a 2011 Canadian market Canyon.

Take the shroud off the steering column. Locate the passlock module which just dangles off the key tumbler. Start the car, unplug the small connector from the back of the passlock module.

And thats it. You will have a light on the dash that your passlock isnt working but they car with start with a $5 key from home depot. If you battery ever dies totally flat you *could* have to hook it back up and use the correct key. Ask me how I know.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 PM

355s produced for the Canadian market have the PassKey Security System. Those trucks made for the US have the PassLock System installed. There isn't a module in the PassLock System. The only component of the PassLock system that is mounted on the steering column is the ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode