Pass Lock How To: Ignition - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Pass Lock How To: Ignition

Disclaimer: "Please use caution and seek professional assistance when necessary. ColoradoFans.com, myself and all associated members are not responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm which may occur with this self fix. This post does not reflect the views of ColoradoFans.com and it's ownership."

GM Chevy Colorado/Canyon Passlock System change How To:

BEFORE YOU DO THIS AT YOUR HOUSE. THE COLORADO/CANYON COMPUTER WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE NEW PASSLOCK SO THEREFOR YOU NEED TO BE AT THE DEALERSHIP, HAVE A FRIEND OR YOURSELF WITH A TRAILER AND ANOTHER TRUCK OR MONEY FOR A TOW BILL ONCE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR TRUCK WILL NOT CRANK AT ALL. I KNOW BY EXPERIENCE... FORTUNATELY I HAD A HOOK UP WITH A FREE TOW 20 MILES AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIP. SO YOUR TRUCK WILL NOT CRANK AT ALL NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU WAIT

What you need:
New ignition passlock
1 AC Delco Strip head screw(from dealership)
T-25 star head socket
External torx T-6 socket for the strip head screw
phillips head screwdriver
19mm socket and ratchet
big flat head screwdriver
drill with multiple drill bits

so lets get to it

FIRST OFF: Unhook the negative cable from the battery for bout 30 mins

SECOND: take the T-25 star head socket and unscrew the 2 bolts from the bottom of the steering column

THIRD: again with the star head socket and unscrew 2 more bolts from the back side of the steering wheel. turn the steering wheel a quarter turn and the bolt will be on top and its the easiest to get too

FORTH: pull the backside cover away from the steering wheel and push the 2 C clips that is holding the air bag in.

this shows the back side of the steering wheel off lets you know how the air bag is really held in the steering wheel

FIFTH: Disconnect the air bag pink on pink & brown on white then take the 19mm socket and take the steering wheel off MAKE SURE YOUR WHEEL IS STRAIGHT WHEN YOU TAKE IT OFF so you can put it back on the same way. it takes some force to pull off the steering wheel.

SIXTH: take the screwdiver and take off the air bag wire coil? or whatever it is

Seventh:Take the star head socket and take the blinker/lights/windshield wiper control off

EIGHTH: Take the mounting bracket or base bracket off

NINETH:Unplug the green plug in the passlock

TENTH: Drill out the stock strip head screw

ELEVENTH: have your key in and turn in to ACC then push the button that i highlight then while pushing it just pull the key and your ignition should come out and then you can put it in the new passlock and put it all together. use the striphead screw where you drilled out the stock screw then you have to get it hooked up to the GM computer so the truck computer recognizes it. then you'll be set. now more being left out without a truck for several mins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM

2007 3.7L w/ same issue

My truck has been having the exact same issues and I finally took to the dealer. They called to let me know it was the ignition switch and also might need a new PCM. This doesn't seem right to me. I understand the ignition switch and maybe re-programming like you guys mentioned here, but surely I don't need a new PCM.???

What do you all think? I sure hope I don't need a new PCM. No telling how much that cost.?

2007 Colorado CrewCab Xtreme ZQ8 3.7/I5
3LT / Very dark pewter leather
Trailering Package,3.73,G80
Onstar, XM Radio, Sunroof

Modifications: K&N Air Filter, WeatherTech Floorliners, LineX, Window Tint 20%, 3M Clear Paint Protection

http://coloradofans.com/album_personal.php?user_id=9507
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

its probly expensive. but my cousin works up at the dealership here so i have hook ups. but if its just the pass lock you dont need a pcm i changed mine at my house then had to tow it to get it programed but programming is all that needed to be done.

2006 Chevy Colorado 5 speed 2.8 WT

Mods:
MBRP Exhaust..Dick Cepek Torque 16x8..Xentec HID low beams..Pinoneer head unit..Memphis m3 sub..Rockford Fosgate 500watt Prime..Street Edge Door Speakers..K&N Airfilter..Truxxx 2inch Leveling coilspacer

To Come:
CST 5 inch Spindles or Fabtech 3 inch Spindles...LED Tail Lights...HID High Beams...Hunter Brush Guard

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Just talked to the top mechanic at the dealership if its the pass lock you don't need a new pcm only a new pass lock a strip head screw and get it programmed at the dealership

Mods:
MBRP Exhaust..Dick Cepek Torque 16x8..Xentec HID low beams..Pinoneer head unit..Memphis m3 sub..Rockford Fosgate 500watt Prime..Street Edge Door Speakers..K&N Airfilter..Truxxx 2inch Leveling coilspacer

To Come:
CST 5 inch Spindles or Fabtech 3 inch Spindles...LED Tail Lights...HID High Beams...Hunter Brush Guard

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Having similar issues and have tried all of the trouble shooting tips in the thread. PCM number does not fall into the range mentioned for replacement (#5018 ). I have also tried cleaning out the throtte body and problem still happening. Truck will start and run fine for about 20 minutes then everything shuts off does not matter if I am at a stop, in park or driving down the road at 45mph. Basicllly the truck goes into 'Reduced Power Traction Fault" message I wait 60-120 seconds and it fires back up then repeats the cycle again and again. it will throw a check engine light but when I leave it sitting for longer than 2 hours and start it back up the check engine light is gone. I took to the stealership and they kept it for 3 days told me that they could not recreate the problem (HA! issue happened while pulling into the service bay and they could not get it started for 5 minutes). Anyway they told me that their best guess was that it is an ignition problem and the entire ignition should be replaced to the tune of $600.00 but they would not reccommend spending the money for the repair because they were unable to recreate the issue and could not confirm that would fix the problem. Any help would be great as I am almost ready to take it to the stealership and leave it until the figure it out.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

That's weird I have no clue what that is when the passlock is messed up it will start up then shut off I couldn't drive for a few mins then it would shut off it would just shut off immediately. I have no clue but it doesn't sound like the pass lock

Mods:

To Come:

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks single cab!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

welcome tell me what it is when you find out

Mods:

To Come:

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Hey to whoever asked before if you need a new PCM get one from PCM4Less without a tune for $99 you have to call to place the order. Once you get it you can do the security relearn and drive it to a shop that has a type of TEC II scan tool or similar tool to do a CASE relearn for about 1/2 hour shop time. Total fix only cost less that $150... That being said I was having reduced power mode problems about 2-3 months ago and did what I just stated above and problem was fixed. Now in the last two weeks every now and then I go to crank my truck and it just turns over repetedly without ever firing and my pass lock blinks for 10 minutes EXACTLY then goes solid. Once I wait 10 minutes I can crank it. Also every now and then my pass lock will come on solid while I am driving but it doesn't effect anything. Do I need to do this How-To to fix this? If so how much does the total job cost for the new ignition and dealer reprogram?

Side note **I have also recently been throwing a P0506 code that throws CEL sometimes and sometimes it clears itself. Anyway I plan to clean throttle body, change spark plugs and try to install a home brew CAI soon as all these are probably needed anyways as I am nearing 100k.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

i dont know bout the side note but the price should be around 90 for the passlock, 4 or 5 for the screw and at my dealership its 85 to reprogram but it all depends on the dealership but just make sure you have a way to get to the dealership after you put in the new passlock like i said in the how to.

Mods:

To Come:

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SingleCabColorado View Post
That's weird I have no clue what that is when the passlock is messed up it will start up then shut off I couldn't drive for a few mins then it would shut off it would just shut off immediately. I have no clue but it doesn't sound like the pass lock
I will let everyone know what I uncover as I am taking to the stealership in the morning.
Over the past 2 days I have been monitoring closely and the loss of power issue is still happening but I ave noticed it is only occuring when the truck gets up to normal running tempature. It is not overheating but within 2 minutes of the truck getting to the standard engine temp it shuts off and throws 'Traction Fault Reduced Power' message. I think I have all but ruled out an ignition problem.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

i know this heat in Georgia is making my truck sluggish i can tell night and day between night and day ha because is so much cooler

Mods:

To Come:

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM

resolved, short in the PCM, replaced and covered under warranty.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

awesome gotta love warrenty when you have it got my truck at 139,000miles and now 181,00

Mods:

To Come:

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM

i have a 2004 crew cab, and i've been having similar issues.
i turn the key to start it, but nothing happens. like there's no starter attached. the lights turn on, the radio works, the windows roll up and down, etc...
it started a couple weeks ago, and it took two or three turns to get anything to happen. now it's taking two or three minutes of turning the key on and off before it starts.
i found that if i kinda twist and push the key while turning it, it seemes to help. my guess would be the keyed switch is not quite making contact where it should be.
will this be just the ignition cylinder swap? and will i need to take it to the dealer to be programmed? i need to go get the part soon, i don't want to be stranded.

thanks!!
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

im not sure about that my starter would wine and all but just wouldnt fire if it is your ignition im not sure if just swapping that out would make you have to program it best thing to do is to do it at the dealership one cool morning but the thing is if you do that you will have to carry around 2 keys

Mods:

To Come:

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SingleCabColorado View Post
i dont know bout the side note but the price should be around 90 for the passlock, 4 or 5 for the screw and at my dealership its 85 to reprogram but it all depends on the dealership but just make sure you have a way to get to the dealership after you put in the new passlock like i said in the how to.
Do you have the part numbers? I will try to order online, because my dealer quoted me $400 just for the passlock.

2006 Black ZQ8 3.5L LT CC
K&N air & oil filters
PowerAid throttle body spacer
MBRP single side exit stainless cat-back exhaust
Jagsthatrun transmission crossmember
Kenwood KDC-X990 Headunit
Kenwood KAC-X501F - 4 Ch. Amp
Kenwood KAC-X401M - 1 Ch. Amp
Polk DB650 2-way coaxials in front and rear doors
PowerAcoustik Tweeters in front doors
Two 10" Pioneer Premier shallow sub
Custom downfire dual 10" sub box (under rear seat)
Radioshack mini mobile CB hidden in center console
Mobile phone type CB antenna (on back glass)
ScanGuage II
Debadged tailgate
50% tint on front doors and 20% strip on windshield.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

thats bullshit my price was 100 but i got a discount cause my cousin works their which my price went to 54 total i think with the strip head screw

if anyone wanted to see what you will be replacing

Mods:

To Come:

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

dammit double post

Mods:

To Come:

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM

so is the "pass lock" a separate component from the keyed ignition switch? i really think my issue is confined to the cylinder itself (thats what i'm hoping...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode