Power Door Locks - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Power Door Locks

I have read and in fact the door lock and window problem before. This is different, my door lock (2004 Canyon Z71 2WD) works on the drivers door but none of the other doors. all the windows work fine. any help would be appreciated.

2004 GMC Canyon (2nd Owner)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Do they lock/unlock with the key fob? How about when you press the button on the armwrest? Did they all stop working simultaneously?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM

I have the same problem on my 04 chevy Colorado z71 4x4 i can unlock/lock my driver door with both armrest bottons but my pass. will not move unles you move it by hand
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442_mike View Post
Do they lock/unlock with the key fob? How about when you press the button on the armwrest? Did they all stop working simultaneously?
the key fob doesn't work either, it only opens the driver door. the armrest button works the same, unlocks the driver door but doesn't affect the others. Yes they all stopped working at the same time.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM

I have the same exact issue on my 2004 Colorado....Did anyone find a way to fix this?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM

On my fob I press open once and the drivers unlocks , I press twice and the pass. will unlock. I wonder if the inside unlock could work the same. Programing wise. I can reset the power locks to ulock one or both when the truck goes from drive to park. Hope that helps. Does the cc have a lock out switch for the rear window controls that only the driver can operate the other window??

Green "05 canyon ext cab, 3.5 auto, 2wd, belltech 2/2 drop , fake lake pipes, overhead console, scangauge, ARE tonnue cover, brushed pinstrips, de badged, helwig sway bars, H3 wheels.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

reset door locks?

bondo_dust how exactly did you program the switch. maybe i set the door switch to only do my door by accident! what are the steps?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Do you have your owners manual?? engine off key in lock position press lock button for 3 seconds. press the dis button for 1 sec.and more than 1 sec. to set the mode.
mode1 all lock when not in park or 15mph, all unlock in park or when key removed with man. tranns. mode2 no locks, none unlock mode3 same as 1 but only drivers unlocks at park or key removed mode 4 same but no doors unlock in park or key out with man. key fob can be set up also. owners manual has the info for that too. Key in off Press lock and unlock on fob at same time till is says RFA on dic Push dic button 1sec. shows mode. Mode 1 flashes park lamps on lock or unlock Mode2Same but horn beeps on lock unlock lights flash. mode3Park lamps and horn lock and unlock... Mode4 RFA inactive push dic buttom to scroll thru modes and hold for 2 sec. to set mode.. Have fun with that

Green "05 canyon ext cab, 3.5 auto, 2wd, belltech 2/2 drop , fake lake pipes, overhead console, scangauge, ARE tonnue cover, brushed pinstrips, de badged, helwig sway bars, H3 wheels.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

ok but not a solution for this problem

Thanks for the reply, however, the lock mode doesn't really help in solving this problem. I can't operate the locks manually so automatically also doesn't work. are the locks operated by a vacuum pump or is it all electric?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Electric... Fuses???

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelSanchez View Post
I found this forum while searching for a solution to a recent problem. I have a 2004 Colorado 4x4 Ext Cab 5cyl Z71.

I disconnected the negative battery terminal for cleaning and when I reconnected it, I found that my driver's side power window (but not the passenger side) and both power door locks did not work.

I started looking on the net and at different forums and found similar problems. Most people were able to fix this by just disconnecting the negative cable overnight or doing a global reset or just waiting for several days for it to reset by itself. These didn't work for me and I couldn't for wait days in the middle of winter with my window stuck down on my daily driver.

Finally I found a thread about re-setting the BCM. I disconnected the negative terminal agin, pulled the passenger side kick-plate, and unplugged/disconnected all three harnesses. I then went in the house and waited about 20 mins. I came back out, reconnected the harnesses, the negative terminal, started the truck and everything was back to normal.

As a new member and first time poster, THANKS TO EVERYONE ON COLORADOFANS FOR THEIR POSTS AND IDEAS ON THIS PROBLEM. If it weren't for you, I'm sure I would have been spending cash I don't have....
I found this going to try later, let me know if this works for any of you!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM

An other option that worked for me is : unlatch the hood, lock the doors lock the drivers door with the key if need be and then open the hood and disconnect the (-) cable, the touch or jumper the (-) to the (+) terminal. I jumpered mine for 20 minute but others have said 30 second does it. ( we are discharging the capacitors in the BCM circuits, there are caps. in the door switches as well.) Now reconnect the battery (-) cable unlock the doors with the Fob or the key. All could be well. Others have removed the drivers window control (un plugged) and jumpering the switch ternimal to each other to bleed off the cap.s in the switch to get them working again. Do more seaching here and at 355 nation, there are other solutions. Good Luck

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM

I just bought a 2004 canyon crew cab, and had to figure out the tricks to the powder door locks, and I thought I would share. 1. We only have one key fob and I gave that to my wife. If she locks the door with the key fob and I try to unlock the door with a key, it will set the alarm off. I also figured out that, if the driver's door is closed, the power door lock button on the armrest will operate all the locks. BUT, if I open the driver's door more than about 5 inches, it will only operate the drover's door. So, if I'm outside the truck and I want to lock all the doors, I can open the drivers door just enough to barely get my arm in, reach the button in the armrest, and they will all lock. I really wish I could figure out a way to have the driver's door completely open and the power door lock button operate all the locks.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM

to C'Fans
The first part, regarding unlocking the door with a key, after locking with the remote, is a normal function of the Theft Deterent System. If the doors are locked with the remote, they have to be unlocked with the remote to disarm the DTS. The second problem is more difficult. The doors lock/unlock normally when the doors are closed so that pretty much rules out the switches as an issue, as well as the usual ground point problems. The only switch in the circuit, regarding door position, is the "Door Ajar Switch". Only about 1/2" of door movement is required to activate that switch, so that doesn't appear to be the problem. I would suggest checking the wire bundle in the door hinge area. It seems unlikely, but it could be a broken wire that is making contact only when the door is closed or barely open. Do you have any experience troubleshooting/repairing wiring?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
I've done a little shadetree electrical stuff without catching the shadetree on fire. The first thing I did to this truck is cut the blue/white striped wire to disable the passlock. That has worked well so far.
Honestly, it really doesn't seem like a malfunction because it's 100% consistent. I tried looking for the switch that tells the truck when the door is open, but I couldn't find it.
The 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I traded in for this truck had a problem with the door switch - when it was cold, the switch would shrink up just enough that it thought someone was opening the door without unlocking it. That caused the alarm to go off in the middle of the night a few times and scare us to death. So... I taped a folded up paper towel over the switch to REALLY push it in when the door was closed and I never had a problem again. :)
Also, on the Jeep, even if we locked the door with the key fob, I could unlock it with the key without setting off the alarm. And I know that was not a key with a chip in it or anything, so I thought for sure this truck would work the same way.
We are at the end of our rope because my wife wants to be able to use the key fob (and I would love for her to), but if she does and then I try to unlock it without knowing she used the fob, I'm stuck with an alarm going off. :(
I've read that I could buy a new fob and get a dealer to program it, but I'm afraid to find out how much it would cost.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:17 PM

You have broken wires in the doors inside those rubber tubes. Pull the tubes, inspect and patch/replace the wires in question. This can effect windows, locks, speakers, mirrors etc depending on which wires got pinched.

Happens on all 4 doors, sometimes effecting systems you wouldnt expect, like airbags.

2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4WD SLE Extended Cab
3.5L I5, 3.73 Gear Ratio, G80 Locker
231,345 Miles; Original Owner
The Insanity Project
My other projects:

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM

The "door ajar" switch is on the lower part of the door frame. It contacts the lower aft corner of the door. It is covered with a rubber boot and is attached with one screw (Torx, on my truck). I don't think that is your problem. The only way you are going to keep from setting off the alarm is by using a remote to unlock it. Check Ebay. There are usually a mess of key fobs there. You just have to make sure that the part numbers match the one on the back of your current one. You will still have to get the Dealer to program it.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM

Dealer is not necessary. Any shop with an updated (solus/modis) snap-on scanner can program fobs. A few other tools have that capability also. And maybe cheaper.. call around and price check.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
rtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowsell View Post
the key fob doesn't work either, it only opens the driver door. the armrest button works the same, unlocks the driver door but doesn't affect the others. Yes they all stopped working at the same time.
Did you ever get this resolved, I have the same issue,
you can reach me at rpugh@cbrhodes.com

Thanks for posting
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Did you ever get this resolved, I have the same issue,
you can reach me at rpugh@cbrhodes.com

Thanks for posting
I'm having this same issue, did either of you resolve it? Please send me an email if you did. Thanks! knudsenc@gmail.com

Last edited by canyon cache 2004; 10-09-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode