Starter intermittantly doesn't crank - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Starter intermittantly doesn't crank

05 Colorado 5 Cyl 4WD Z71 Auto. Battery is a Delco about a month old
with good static & cranking voltage. About a month ago I had to turn the
key 5 times before the starter would crank the engine. It's worked fine for a month until 2 days ago. After driving & shutting it off about an hour before, the starter was not spinning or trying to crank. A month ago I heard nothing when this happend; this time I twisted the key many times & always heard a small click, but I don't know if it was the relay in the fuse box or the solenoid on the starter clicking? I just wanted to get it started once to get it in the garage where I could work on it. Suspecting, maybe a bad spot on the armature of the starter, I rocked the truck, then it started fine. But now that I have it in the garage, where I can test it, I can't get it to fail again. I only have 26,000 miles on the truck. Do any of you know of a weak point in the starting system, so I don't have to remove the starter??
Whether you do or not; Have any of you installed a starter in the 5 cyl?
The manual is saying the intake manifold & left inner wheel house have to be removed & from the looks of it, I agree.
I sure would like to avoid all of that work, if something else could be the problem. Thank you very much for your consideration.
Larry

Last edited by Larry49; 01-26-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Larry49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know of a particular weak spot but the key doesn't actually crank, the starter is controlled by a computer and if the truck didn't start, it would automatically wait and try again without you having to touch the key. There is a relay in the fusebox for that. I once had mine fail for no apparent reason other than being a relay. I swapped it with an identical numbered one that was in the box and then drove to the parts dept and bought a new one. Maybe there is a loose connection that righted itself enough on yours.
Glamdring70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.