4x4 selector switch - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4x4 selector switch

Today I was messing around with my 4x4 switch. I didn't really need 4 wheel drive but put it in just in case. I could hear the actuator clicking but the light on the 4 high button kept flashing. Same thing with 4 low I could hear and feel it engage but the light never stopped flashing. No service 4x4 light on the dash or anything like that. I don't think that this was the case 2 weeks ago when I last used 4 wheel but I don't know that for certain.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
rjpoog1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Try putting your truck in neutral, then put it in 4 high or 4 low. That should work.
adababe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I tried putting the transmission in neutral and that made no difference with 4 hi and obviously 4 low wouldn't work if not in neutral. The only thing I didn't try was putting the transfer case in neutral. At this point though I'm guessing I may have a loose wire behind the switches.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't need to be neutral to put it in 4 wheel drive hi.
The lights should stop flashing when engaged. If it keeps flashing then something is wrong.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Usually I put in neutral just out of habit. But it seems like something else may be wrong
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm almost 100% sure 4wheel engaged. I'm wondering if it might be some computer problem not telling the switch to stop flashing. But you could definitely feel it engage and the actuator clicked with each press of the buttons
Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

So you know all four tires are spinning and everything?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mine works best when rolling at least 1-2 mph, i never shift while standing still

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
Reached 100,000 miles on 1/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
120.000 miles on 07/08/14
davn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

This afternoon I'm going to try putting it in 4 wheel and I'm going to jack up the front passenger side tire. If it spins then 4 wheel isn't engaged, if it doesn't than it is engaged. I believe if there is a problem it would be with the transfer case and not the front dif. From what I've been told, if one of the actuators in the tc fails the service 4 wheel drive light should come on, which is a big reason I think 4 wheel engages. I tried again this morning with the same results as yesterday I can hear it clicking and engaging while the light still flashes. This was done with the vehicle in motion
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm having the same issue as you right now and what you're hearing is the transfer case locking the front drive shaft not the actuator on the front axle.

My front drive shift spins when I press 4hi or 4low but the lights still flash. I've replaced the 4WD Actuator on the front axle but this did not fix the problem. I'm leaning towards something electrical, as I tried to get the brand new actuator plunger to come out and when pressing the buttons (not installed in the axle) and it doesn't.

I've tested the pins in the connector for voltage and the power wire is constant, the middle pin fluctuates a bit when the 4hi button is pressed. Starts at .4 and goes to .7 and drops back to .4 after the transfer case finishes locking the front drive shaft. Not sure what else to test
Pringles1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.