rough idle help on 05' Colorado - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rough idle help on 05' Colorado

I need some help from the Colorado guru's out here.

I figured today was a great day to do some maintenance work and also try to get rid of a 0455 code my 05 Colorado 2wd 3.5l I-5 was throwing.

I ordered a new Delco 214-2147 vapor canister solenoid of the web. From the research I did on these forums, I figured that this was a cheap and good place to start. I replaced the solenoid and then I decided since I recently purchased this truck a month ago and it had 116,000 miles on it, that it was a good idea to replace the plugs and fuel filter. The fuel filter went perfect and then the plugs weren't bad either. After I was all done and started up the truck, everything seemed ok until it finally idled down. Then it started to run a rough idle. When I put it in gear with the brake on, it runs even rougher once it idles to 800 rpm's or so.

I used AC Delco double platinum plugs (41-834) which were recommended by the Auto Zone mananger. I pulled out AC delco (41-981) which were in the truck when i started. I never had an issue with the rough idle until this happened. Also I did not gap the plugs at all when I replaced them.

I believe all the plugs are in securely and that all the coils are on well also. I know I didn't swap coils because I marked them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go after this. I am at a loss right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also cleaned the MAS and throttle body after all this to see if it helped. NO Luck
Marc9954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

What is the condition of the hose/elbow that runs from the air plenum you removed to the valve cover? That commonly gets torn or forgotten?

Also it is not that difficult to not get the coil boots on the spark plugs correctly which would cause a miss. Looks like it is time to pop the coild back off and inspect the seating and the springs inside the boot.

Also found a similar issue here on 355nation.

Getting a code might help.
extremity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

The elbow on back appeared to be in good shape. I also put on new coil boots and gaskets this morning. That was my first though that I put the coils on but well enough. I tried my best to ensure that they all went on well. After putting them on, I tried to slightly pull up on them to see if they seated properly. The front one is a pain in the rear.

My problem is that I didn't have this sympton before I pulled the plugs and changed the fuel filter. My initial problem was a 0455 code. So I changed the vent solenoid and felt like it was a good time to change plugs and the fuel filter at the same time. It is driving me nuts. I feel like I have tried to retrace my steps over and over again with the same results.

Any thoughts on what my next step should be?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check engine light come on? Does it still run rough at say 1500 to 2000 RPM? Did you pull the spark plugs to make sure one of the electrodes were not damaged or cracked on the porcelain? Did you check for fuel leaks at the fuel filter? Is it possible to even put the filter on backwards? Did you try unplugging the battery for 5 minutes and reconnecting to clear the computer?
extremity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah let us know if it runs rough at all rpm's or just idle? As well as if there is any codes. Because you didn't have the rough idle before the work you did it's probably related to something you did. I would double check the throttle body and MAS to make sure everything's tight and you don't have an air leak somewhere.
rob678855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

The truck runs rough in idle and obviously when in gear with brakes on. It runs rough at around 650-700 rpm's. Once I give a little gas, it appears to run fine. I watched as I ran it at around 900 rpms, it ran smooth.

I am a firm believer that if it didn't do before I touched but now it does, then I did something wrong. But it feels that I have retraced my steps several times.

I have only disconnected the negative cable. Should I disconnect both positive and negative? And for how long?

It looks like the fuel filter only goes in one way as it sits in the clip but I may be wrong?

I only cleaned the MAF and throttle body to see if it would help but was experiencing these issues before and after.

I am not getting and CEL lights yet. I have driven it about 40 mile since and everything has been done and appears to run normal at anything but idle.

Any further suggestions? I appreciate the help already.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am thinking the plugs. One could have been defective. There are also other cases that you can read about where guys have swapped plugs and tried to upgrade and the truck ran poorly and they swapped back to OEM plugs and good to go. Could try your old plugs back in it and see if that clears it up as you know it idled good before. That will narrow it down a bit.
rob678855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to all that offered some advice. I finally threw a cylinder 3 misfire. I swapped out the plug and it didn't go away. SO the next in line was the coil. Replaced the coil and so far so good. Truck appears to be idling much smoother than it was. Thanks again for all the help. Ill keep my fingers crossed that all goes well from here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.