Door wire recall notice / 2005-2012 Extended Cab - Recall # - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Door wire recall notice / 2005-2012 Extended Cab - Recall #

Didn't quite know where to post this. Has to do with 1st gen Colorados and the broken wires causing an air bag fault light on the dash. Well GM has finally admitted that they have a problem here.. Some trucks have a wire harness that is too short in the ext cab rear doors. Wires get stressed and break throwing an airbag fault. Diagnostics indicate a bad seatbelt retractor and replacement is a lot of $. Anyway, GM now extends the warranty on this item through 10 years or 120k miles. If you have paid for repairs, they will reimburse, if you have the paperwork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 AM

to C'Fans.

That's good info. That is a relatively common problem. Most of the guys here are DIYers and have accomplished the repairs themselves, so probably won't be able to take advantage of the offer.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 AM

I wanted to scrawl "NS,S!" on the letter and mail it back (with the profanity in place)... It's nice for them to acknowledge the problem, but a bit of "too little, too late" in my opinion -- my truck is over 11 years old, so the extended warranty is nothin'. I did buy a door harness from the Dealer the first time this happened, so perhaps I can find a receipt and get a few dollars back.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:37 PM

finally a recall on the door wiring on extended cab

Hello all. Yesterday I received a recall notice from chevy about my 2006 colorao. Seems they are finally admiting there is a problem with the door wiring on the extended cab model. Too bad I have fixed both doors myself thanks to the people on this forum.
wbirbick likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 AM

Garage
I got a recall letter in the mail about a week ago concerning this, yes if you had it replaced they should reimburse you for it, does anyone need info? Not a real recall but they say if you are affected by this they will repair it. I am the original owner (2005) so maybe I was easier to track down. Probably a bit more proactive in this with the ignition switch fiasco on the Cobalt, etc.

Ordered 2/17/17.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 08:30 AM

I know...i laughed that they gave me a 10 year warranty on my 2005 from service date! THANKS GM - UR THE BEST!! - I already re-spliced wires one side...not that hard to do luckily!
wbirbick likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 PM
JBT

Garage
Yeah, I just got my letter and traded in the truck last month. 2007 Colorado extended cab Z71. I'm glad it never broke when I had the truck.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:51 PM

Geez, I paid $110.00 (canadian) to have the dealer fix the problem a couple of years ago, and I had the problem come back again last month. So I decided to fix it myself, only to realise that they had done a ridiculous job with cheapo electronic connectors.
morton1096 likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:39 PM

Threads merged and subject changed to match thread content

Does anybody have the recall number so I can make the thread even better?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:23 PM

2008 extended cab door wiring harness recall letter

Has anyone got letter about wiring harness and if u did. Did gm pay for the work
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 PM

I got the letter. My truck has not had the issue to date.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM

I just the letter a week or two ago and i was trying find out if they are going to pay for it because if i have for it i'm doing the work myself.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fristcolorado View Post
I just the letter a week or two ago and i was trying find out if they are going to pay for it because if i have for it i'm doing the work myself.
If you don't have broken wires / ABS light on, there is nothing to be done.
If you had an issue previously, and a GM dealer serviced it, you may be eligible for a rebate.
The letter also states age / mileage limits. If you are within those limits, and the problem develops, a GM dealer will service your vehicle, at no expense to you.

I thought the letter was pretty clear.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Has anyone got letter about wiring harness and if u did. Did gm pay for the work
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I got the letter. My truck has not had the issue to date.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
If you don't have broken wires / ABS light on, there is nothing to be done.
If you had an issue previously, and a GM dealer serviced it, you may be eligible for a rebate.
The letter also states age / mileage limits. If you are within those limits, and the problem develops, a GM dealer will service your vehicle, at no expense to you.

I thought the letter was pretty clear.
Merged

Also, does anybody have a recall number for this recall?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
See post #1 of the thread I moved you into. The OP wrote that you will be reimbursed - but no criteria is given as to how reimbursement is handled.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:17 AM

Question For Canadians

Wondering if any Canadians have received the recall notice ?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:39 PM

Hi all,
Two questions -
Just got the "Broken wire harness" letter the other day plus a "Seat belt warning light" letter. Are these two issues connected?
Also, is there a thread out there on how to fix the harness yourself? If so, could somebody post the link please.

Thanks.

I don't know how people can live without a pickup
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:35 AM

A break in the wire harness causing a "seat belt" light is a relatively common problem with Extended Cab models. I don't know if there is a How-To for repairing it. You will have to open the wire harness for the rear door, where it goes from the door frame to the door, in the hinge area. Locate any damaged wires and splice them. There is, however, a How To for replacing the harness assembly. Either way you proceed, this will help:

Colorado Extended Cab Airbag Warning Light (Solution) - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 AM

In my case, it was just about making the wires a little longer. I added a few inchs more with a slightly heavier gage wire I had on hand. Secured the connections with a soldering iron and protected the fix with heat shrink wire wrap. Pretty shure it will outlast the ridiculous job the dealer did on my truck a couple of years ago.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM

Yes, please a recall reference number or site. Searched and found nothing. Please, please advise. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode