Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Front differential fluid change

16K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  inultus 
#1 ·
I searched and could not find anything on this but my apologies if there is a thread on it. I had my truck (06 with the 3.5L, 4WD with 120K miles) on the lift yesterday and noticed one of the output shafts was slightly leaking. It's obviously not much as I have no spots in my driveway, however, I pulled the fill plug on the front diff and put my finger in there. The level was slightly low, but what bothered me was that the fluid appeared to be gray, chunky and murky. That says to me that water had gotten in there.

So, at the least I want to change the diff fluid, I don't really want to get into taking the whole axle apart. It appears that there is a drain plug on the bottom of the diff (it would require a big allen wrench). Is that actually the drain plug? Also, any suggestions on fluid type and weight (I live in Michigan so it gets cold in the winter here)? Thanks.

#2 ·
The Spec in the Owner's Manual is 75-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant, part number 89021677. There must be a number of aftermarket brands that meet that spec.

One note of importance. Make sure that you loosen the fill plug, before removing the drain plug. Finding the fill plug frozen, after draining the fluid, will not be a good thing.

#3 ·
If you re-read my post you will see I have already pulled the fill plug. So are you confirming that the allen plug at the bottom is a drain plug? I know there is no drain plug on the rear diff, but it appears there is one on the front diff, can you confirm/deny?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.