2009 ' Chev colorado - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

2009 ' Chev colorado

I have an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't start is when the lock led starts flashing as soon as you switch the key to the on position. Turn the key back to off and wait 15 minutes and it starts..........

Has anyone ever found a fix for this problem???? I know there has been several old threads referencing this issue dated back to 2005. HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Welcome to C'Fans.

Sounds like a fairly common PassLock problem. At one time a lot of guys were cutting a wire under the instrument panel that would cure the problem, but the light would remain on. Since then many of the guys have corrected the problem by replacing the ignition switch and accomplishing a "Security Relearn". If you are a DIYer and interested in trying the ignition switch replacement, post back and I will find the applicable Threads for you. It is relatively easy to do.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:43 AM

Passlock - definitely. I did the "free" wire snip. Can also have your PCM flashed to disable VATS: Engine Swap Reflash Disabe VATS

The "Iceman" Cometh
MSGT, USAF (Retired)
06 Colorado Z71 4X4 Crew (Lil Red)
Born in the US of A!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Please send me any info you may have. This intermittent start problem occurs at random times.

Thank you so much!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Pardon my ignorance but "Have my PCM flashed to disable VATs ???? what does that mean"?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis White View Post
Pardon my ignorance but "Have my PCM flashed to disable VATs ???? what does that mean"?
That means that you will have to find someone who can access/modify the information in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and deactivate the Security System. A "tuner", as they are called, would probably get at least $100 do do it. I would suggest trying to correct the problem instead of cutting wires and putting a bandaid on it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

It means having someone with hptuner or efilive software tap into to the trucks computer and turn off the vehicle anti theft system (also know as passlock)

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Cart beat me to the answer

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis White View Post
Please send me any info you may have. This intermittent start problem occurs at random times.

Thank you so much!!
Replacing the ignition switch:

You will have to procure an ignition switch housing. The ignition switch itself is not available separately. Then you will need to remove the switch from the new housing. Just two fasteners. You do not want to replace the entire housing as that requires a lot of disassembling of the steering column and the switch is all that is needed. Then you have remove the lower cover from the steering column. The switch is easily accessed, just be sure to put the key in the run position prior to removing the switch. Make sure the new switch is turned to the same position as the old one and install it. Then you will need to do a Security relearn. The switch housing is available from a number of sources. Amazon has a good price. https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-D14...eywords=D1462G

The topic of this Thread is not related to your issue, but the steps are, and it has some good pictures: 07 Colorado Won't Stay Running after releasing the Key

This is a How-To for a Security relearn. You will have to follow the steps exactly, in particular the position of the key: How To: Do a Security Relearn - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

If replacing the switch corrects the problem you will not have had to cut wires or had the computer messed with. If that fails to correct your issue, then you may have to move to more drastic measures.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by cart7881; 03-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode