Window Molding - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JScottM
  • 1 Post By Redrocker65

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Window Molding

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have a 2005 Colorado crew cab, and just had the window replaced a few weeks ago. Well, here in the San Francisco Bay, we have a pretty strong wind storm blowing thru. While on the freeway, I heard something slapping against the truck. When I got out to take a look, I found the molding that runs along to top of the windshield have partially come out. I looked, and I did not notice any type of adhesive in it to keep it down. It has a channel in it, that looks to slide into the top of the windshield, but i cannot believe that there is nothing else that keeps it down. I have some weatherstrip adhesive that I have had to use for other things, so I was thinking of putting some in the channel of the molding to help keep it down. Anybody have any input, good, bad or indifferent about this? I am thinking the window company cut corners and forgot to glue the molding down.

Thanks

Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 PM

Heya Red, welcome aboard.
There was a topic awhile back, and if I remember correctly, that molding was quite expensive. I recall suggesting a universal molding and the guy never came back to say if it worked or not. Hmmmmm, I will try to find the old post.

In the mean time, maybe some of the gracious people here can help, but this site has gone more towards the 2nd Generation Colorado/Canyons.

If I might make a suggestion...... the people that own this forums also own the 335nation.net site http://335nation.com/. THAT site is predominately all about the Generation 1 Collies so you might be able to get your answer there a little quicker.

Sorry if thats not totally answering your question but I wish you the best in finding the solution.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Heya Red, welcome aboard.
There was a topic awhile back, and if I remember correctly, that molding was quite expensive. I recall suggesting a universal molding and the guy never came back to say if it worked or not. Hmmmmm, I will try to find the old post.

In the mean time, maybe some of the gracious people here can help, but this site has gone more towards the 2nd Generation Colorado/Canyons.

If I might make a suggestion...... the people that own this forums also own the 335nation.net site http://335nation.com/. THAT site is predominately all about the Generation 1 Collies so you might be able to get your answer there a little quicker.

Sorry if thats not totally answering your question but I wish you the best in finding the solution.
Thanks, I will give that a try. I am a member there as well but never seem to be able to log in. I will give it a try again. Thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker65 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have a 2005 Colorado crew cab, and just had the window replaced a few weeks ago. Well, here in the San Francisco Bay, we have a pretty strong wind storm blowing thru. While on the freeway, I heard something slapping against the truck. When I got out to take a look, I found the molding that runs along to top of the windshield have partially come out. I looked, and I did not notice any type of adhesive in it to keep it down. It has a channel in it, that looks to slide into the top of the windshield, but i cannot believe that there is nothing else that keeps it down. I have some weatherstrip adhesive that I have had to use for other things, so I was thinking of putting some in the channel of the molding to help keep it down. Anybody have any input, good, bad or indifferent about this? I am thinking the window company cut corners and forgot to glue the molding down.

Thanks

Red
Just take it back and have then fix it. Its probably supposed to have that black urethane stuff in there. If the stuff you have is that yellow adhesive don't do it. That will dry rock hard and might cause problems if you need it fixed right or replaced again.
Toughsox likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Just take it back and have then fix it. Its probably supposed to have that black urethane stuff in there. If the stuff you have is that yellow adhesive don't do it. That will dry rock hard and might cause problems if you need it fixed right or replaced again.
Thanks for the info, I wonder if is supposed to be stuck with the same stuff they used to seal the window into the opening. That stuff is black and I bet they just got a bit cheap with the amount they put on and the molding did not stick like it should have. I think I am going to go first thing Monday morning and see what they say. Give them a chance to make it right before I jump in and give it a try. I have some weatherstrip adhesive that I used on the door rubber for my daughters Blazer, I think it was a black color stuff. Either way, it will get fixed somehow. Thanks for the input.
Toughsox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode