3Likes
  • 1 Post By wvraybird
  • 1 Post By cart7881
  • 1 Post By cart7881

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to wvraybird Send a message via MSN to wvraybird
Unhappy 2005 Colorado Electrical Issues

I am having electrical problems with my lights with my 05 Colorado. The following quits working all at once- high beams, turn signals, 4 way flasher, heater and fan speed lights and the dash lights for the 4 wheel drive selector. If I pull back on the turn signal lever everything works. Then if I leave the truck set for a while everything works fine. Am I wrong in thinking the turn signal lever assy. could be the cause of all of this? And sometimes when I plug in my cell phone charger it will also make all the above not work. Can somebody please help and I have checked the ground in the engine compartment. HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvraybird View Post
I am having electrical problems with my lights with my 05 Colorado. The following quits working all at once- high beams, turn signals, 4 way flasher, heater and fan speed lights and the dash lights for the 4 wheel drive selector. If I pull back on the turn signal lever everything works. Then if I leave the truck set for a while everything works fine. Am I wrong in thinking the turn signal lever assy. could be the cause of all of this? And sometimes when I plug in my cell phone charger it will also make all the above not work. Can somebody please help and I have checked the ground in the engine compartment. HELP
Yes, logic tells me all are related to the "multifunction switch" (all the shit in the lever, right?) well except for the cell phone thing....I think you are on to something. The last time this thing failed on me was my 2001 Corvette (headlight switch) and Rock Auto had the AC/Delco one way cheaper than an aftermarket one at my local AutoZone and O'reilly's. To me AC/delco is better but, hmmm, maybe not right?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:22 AM

I do not know why this will not take my posting. This is my 3rd try. You probably have a bad clock spring. All of the thing you listed go through it. They are around $110 from Rock Auto. Look up "airbag clock spring". The horn also goes through it. I have replaced 3 of them in years past on 2004 and 2005 Colorados.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
I do not know why this will not take my posting. This is my 3rd try. You probably have a bad clock spring. All of the thing you listed go through it. They are around $110 from Rock Auto. Look up "airbag clock spring". The horn also goes through it. I have replaced 3 of them in years past on 2004 and 2005 Colorados.
Really? All go through the clockspring? high beams, turn signals, 4 way flasher, heater and fan speed lights and the dash lights for the 4 wheel drive selector? you must be smoking crack or some shit.........

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
How old is the battery? Have it load tested at a local Advance or Autozone. Which ground did you check?

The Hazard light circuit, the accessory outlet circuits, and the background light circuits for the HVAC Control and the 4 wheel drive selector switch do not pass through the Multifunction Switch.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

It's the instrument lights for the 4 wheel drive indicators and also the dash lights for the heater controls. The controls work it's just the lights for them don't.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:58 AM

That part was clear in your first post. Which ground, in the engine compartment, did you check? It appears that the circuit grounds for all of the items you mentioned go to ground G106, located on the fender wall behind the air filter case. If that is the one you checked, what did you do to check it? If you did not check that one, remove the mount bolt and clean the mating surfaces of the mounting tab and the fender wall. Pull on the wires LIGHTLY to check for broken ones.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

I checked my battery and I got a weak reading. So just to make sure I went to a local Autozone and it read out that is was at 75% charged. I have not replaced the battery since I bought the truck 6 years ago. To me the battery was on the way out so I did purchased a new one. I went home and tore the dash apart and check the light switch and tore it apart and cleaned the contacts and made sure the all the contact points were making contact. I tried to check the turn signal lever assy. and found out that you have to pull the steering wheel and I really didn't want to get into that at the moment. I did check the ground on the fender behind the battery and it was tight and all. I put everything back together and for now everything is working the way it should. While I had things tore apart I kept checking the status of my problem and things were not working. I still feel that the problem lies in the multi-function switch and for now we will see what happens.
JScottM likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 AM

Hope the problem is fixed. Defective batteries don't always cause only cranking problems.

Just to clarify, the circuits that you are having issues with do not ground at G105, which is aft of the battery. It is true that most all of the lighting circuits do ground there, but your problem is with the control side of those circuits, not the power side. For instance the headlights power circuit uses the ground aft of the battery, however, the high beams are controlled by the Multifunction Switch (turn signal lever) and the ground for that switch is G106, behind the air filter case, as mentioned in my last post. The ground for the Dimming Circuit (background lights in HVAC, 4wd switch, etc) is G106, behind the air filter case. The ground point for the two accessory outlets is G106, located behind the air filter case. If your problem returns you might want to clean that ground point, as mentioned above.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 AM

That G106 is as very common failure point. If cleaning the mounting to the fender at G106 does not fix it, open up the box and check inside. Sometimes the connections burn inside. Cart7881 gave you a picture of the outside. He also has a good picture of the inside too. Note: The multifunction switch is a part of the clockspring assembly.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
If I pull back on the turn signal lever everything works.
Again, don't you guys think this is a BIG clue?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 AM

It is a clue, but it doesn't necessarily point to a defect in the Multifunction Switch. All of the issues with the separate circuits appear at the same time and some of those functions have nothing to do with the Multifunction switch. The Accessory Outlets, in particular, are not even switched. They are powered straight from the battery.

In looking for a common denominator that would apply to all of the circuits that are affected only two show up. One is the BCM and the other is the ground splice pack, G106, located on the right fender wall, behind the air filter case. Although the BCM could be defective, it is a relatively trouble free module and the ground point is a well known source of electrical issues with the 355 platform. It is a frequent source of intermittent and unusual problems.

All of the ground wires for the circuits involved meet at that ground splice box and it's possible that the ground for the Multifunction Switch, when operated, is making contact and providing the ground for all of the affected functions.

Of course, a defective battery can cause a multitude of electrical problems as well. The modules (PCM, BCM, TCM, etc) are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. It is possible that his low battery was affecting the operation of the BCM.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
JScottM likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:26 PM

I'll defer to your diagnosis / guess. At this point, the ground side seems more likely than my guess of the clockspring / multi-function swt. assembly.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will check the ground at G106 Monday. Had a bad storm and with Easter and all. For the moment it is working normal. But I did go ahead and order the Multi-function switch.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I checked out the G106 and loosened it then retightened it . It was tight but I wanted to make sure all was well. My problems has stopped for the time being. I did get the turn signal unit just in case, to me that is where it all was pointing to but I will wait and see. Thank you for all the help for now.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 PM

You went through the trouble of removing the air filter case and didn't bother to remove the one bolt to the ground point and clean it? The problem with these types of ground points is not the attach bolt coming loose. It is the formation of corrosion between the splice box tab and the fender wall.
Toughsox likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I did remove the bolt G106 ground and cleaned it and retighten it. Lately everything has been working fine.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Okay, Got it. Hope your problems have been corrected. If they return it may be an issue inside of the splice box. It can be disassembled if necessary. Keep us posted. Thanks.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the help. I will let you know if anything else happens.. Thanks again
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM

I'm guessing I'll be taking g106 apart this weekend and using some contact cleaner on it. I'm having some of the same problems. Only one light on 4x4 buttons work and every now and then I loose all instrument cluster lights for a moment. The truck is a 2005 canyon as well thanks for the posts it gives me a place to start tomorrow

heath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode