Are you including the 'N' (Neutral) position? That's what I have after 4WDL. I don't think mine is spring loaded though.
Should be, from the silly owner's manual, from the 2015 Canyon.
Shifting Into N (Neutral)
1. Park the vehicle on a level
2. Set the parking brake and press
and hold the brake pedal. See
Parking Brake on page 9-41.
3. Start the vehicle or turn the
ignition to ON/RUN.
4. Shift the transmission to
5. Shift the transfer case to 2 WD.
6. Turn the transfer case knob
clockwise to N (Neutral) until it
stops and hold it there until the
N (Neutral) light starts blinking.
This will take at least
10 seconds. Then slowly release
the dial to the 4 Lo position. The
N (Neutral) light will come on
when the transfer case shift to
N (Neutral) is complete.
7. With the engine running, verify
that the transfer case is in
N (Neutral) by shifting the
transmission to R (Reverse),
then shift the transmission to
D (Drive). There should be no
movement of the vehicle while
shifting the transmission.
8. Turn the engine off, and the
ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY.