TIP: GM Oil Life System - How to reset Change Oil Message - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticSkyhawk
I've just passed 7000 miles since my last oil change and have yet to see the oil life monitor come on. I was told by a GM tech that I could wait until it came on and that the monitor is reliable. I also noted in one of the manual entries posted in the beginning of this thread that the truck may not indicate an oil change for up to a year.

Since my wife lost her job, I've resorted to delivering pizzas which I'm having to do in the truck. I'm planning to change the oil this weekend just to be safe, but I'd like to know what others think about trusting the monitor. I'd feel better about changing the oil every 3500 miles, but when you have to make every penny count, you do what you have to.

2004 White Z71 2WD
Gun Toting American Club #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Global Moderator

Although with today's technology and blends of oil that are out there, you can never change your oil too much. Plain and simple. If you want the most life out of your vehicle, keep all the fluids in it "clean".

Think of it this way. You can drink the water out of just about any faucet in any city. But bottled water tastes so much better!

Danny

10,000 Posts Club Member #1
Conservative Club Member #2
Gun Toting American Club Member #3
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 PM

One thing the oil monitor doesn't account for is dirt. If you drive in dirty or dusty conditions alot, if you wait until the monitor goes off, you might be screwed :)

post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSkyhawk
I've just passed 7000 miles since my last oil change and have yet to see the oil life monitor come on. I was told by a GM tech that I could wait until it came on and that the monitor is reliable. I also noted in one of the manual entries posted in the beginning of this thread that the truck may not indicate an oil change for up to a year.

Since my wife lost her job, I've resorted to delivering pizzas which I'm having to do in the truck. I'm planning to change the oil this weekend just to be safe, but I'd like to know what others think about trusting the monitor. I'd feel better about changing the oil every 3500 miles, but when you have to make every penny count, you do what you have to.
Mine did not come on until after a full 12K miles. That was a lot of long distance highway driving. I thought too it might be broken, but ond day it started flashing OIL LIFE

04 Colorado Z85 Crew Cab Owner
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticSkyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg123
Mine did not come on until after a full 12K miles. That was a lot of long distance highway driving. I thought too it might be broken, but ond day it started flashing OIL LIFE
I suddenly developed an oil leak and lost about a quart of oil overnight. I took it to the dealership the next morning and they found a hole punched through my filter like some object went through it. I asked them while I was there about the monitor and they told me to change it every 3000 miles. They said to not rely on the oil life monitor under any circumstance.

To me this brings up a few questions:

1. Are they just saying this to get some extra cash out of someone from oil changes?
2. Is it true to not trust the oil life monitor and GM is tossing out yet another buggy product?
3. Does the oil life monitor work fine, the service reps don't trust it based on years of changing oil at 3k miles, and this causes conflicting messages, reducing the credibility of GM?

2004 White Z71 2WD
Gun Toting American Club #18
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSkyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg123
I suddenly developed an oil leak and lost about a quart of oil overnight. I took it to the dealership the next morning and they found a hole punched through my filter like some object went through it. I asked them while I was there about the monitor and they told me to change it every 3000 miles. They said to not rely on the oil life monitor under any circumstance.

To me this brings up a few questions:

1. Are they just saying this to get some extra cash out of someone from oil changes?
2. Is it true to not trust the oil life monitor and GM is tossing out yet another buggy product?
3. Does the oil life monitor work fine, the service reps don't trust it based on years of changing oil at 3k miles, and this causes conflicting messages, reducing the credibility of GM?
I think you will get different answers depending on who you talk to. Many service departments say 3K interval is optimal but they have a vested interest in doing more oil changes. It certainly won't hurt anything, except your wallet. On the other hand I heard GM was under pressure to reduce waste oil so came up with oil life concept. So I'm not sure I believe them either.

With the continually improving quality of oil I think 3K interval is way too conservative. I run synthetic oil and change 2X year which is about every 8K miles.

04 Colorado Z85 Crew Cab Owner
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to WScottCross Send a message via MSN to WScottCross Send a message via Yahoo to WScottCross
I look at this way: If the oil life system was truly screwed up, GM would be at a higher risk of having to repair/replace engines. I seriously doubt they place themselves at a higher risk for high dollar repairs like that. If there was a problem, they would put a bulletin and cover themselves. I used to change my oil at 7-8K in my last car and now I just wait for the oil life system to tell me. I still end up doing it every 5-6 months (14-15K miles) I do use synthetics, but I don't mind since it's averaging twice a year so far.

Former Colorado Owner
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:39 PM

Ah, yes, the old "when should I change my oil" post. Almost as many opinions out there as clouds in the sky. About the only topic that develops more is "Which oil is better?"

If GM had wanted you to change your oil every 3K miles, then why didn't they just set the parameters of the monitor to tell you to change the oil when it hit 3K instead of the engine's computer telling you when the oil is ready to be changed based on use? And yes, it does sound like your dealer is just trying to get extra money out of you. Many of the high-end vehicles (Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, etc.) already use a oil monitor system for their engines. Many of them can even change the parameters based on if you use synthetic or dino oil also. But if you want to continue changing your oil every 3K miles, hey, I'm not gonna stop you.

There are plenty of websites on the net http://www.bobstheoilguy.com,, long-term test on Mobil1, http://www.themotoroilsite.com that dispute the 3000 mile oil change myth. About the only concession I will make is I'll change my filter every 4K miles or so.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does an oil change. It's a pity the ECU is so damn temperamental. -- Author Unknown
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 AM

I have to go with sarge a little on this one. There are so many opinions on this subject and facts with stats to back both sides. Me, I am 3000 kind of guy. I think its a great idea in concept, but I am not going to let some electical device try to figure out if my oil is still good. Here is another thing, how many people have had some electrical system fail at one time or another. Now what if that system was the one you were relying on to tell you to change your oil. Here is one way that I always like and never seems to fail. Even with this system you still have to check your oil level, right then is a good time to see what your oil looks like. So thats my opinion. Hey at least this is not as bad as engine breakin procedures. Thats a fun one there. One more thing off subject, I hate when people call me sarge, it always reminds me off old war movies, I like Sargent and then last name. Once again my opinion.
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:19 AM

About oil . .

This is just my worthless opinion based upon a lifetime of mechanic experience and engine building.

Frequent oil changes (within reason) are just as important as the quality of oil. I have seen fleet vehicles rack up 200k - 300k miles of abusive use on no-name fleet or Walmart brand motor oil. The secret was frequent regular oil changes.

There is a difference between regular and synthetic motor oil. Synthetic is better - MUCH better. It is my opinion that the cheapest synthetic on the market will outperform circles around the most expensive regular oil. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can go 20k between oil changes with synthetic oil. The only way to know for sure is to do oil analysis tests periodically and see what effect your driving situation is having on your oil. Personally, I play it safe and use synthetic oil and change it at the recommended intervals in all my vehicles. This practice has provided me with vehicles with engines that lasted longer than the rest of the vehicle.

Aside from a few custom made blends that aren't available to the retail market, leave all the oil additives sitting on the shelf and don't use them in your engine. You're better off spending that money on good oil and oil filters and changing oil more frequently.

Speaking of oil filters, there is a difference. However, just because it comes in a flashy box and costs more than a twelve-pack of beer doesn't mean it's the best. When you get bored one weekend, spend some time with a variety of oil filters and a good hacksaw. You might have an enlightening experience. For example, good ol' "ST" brand oil filters sold at Walmart are actually made by Champion Labs (no relation to the spark plugs) and are a darn good oil filter and are well manufactured. On the other hand, give the standard Fram oil filter the hacksaw treatment and you will understand the old saying: "marketing is everything."

One last thing. Whenever the seasons change, give your beast a drink of fuel system and injector cleaner. The cheap stuff will work just fine. Also, at least twice a year between summer and winter, give youre tank a drink of fuel system moisture remover/de-icer. You know, that yellow bottle that says "Heet" on it. It will remove moisture from your fuel system and keep your injectors happy. It breaks up mosture in the fuel system and allows it to pass through the injectors without clogging them.

Remember, a dollars worth of preventive maintenace can save you thousands in the long run.
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Global Moderator

Re: About oil . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasTexSteve
This is just my worthless opinion based upon a lifetime of mechanic experience and engine building.

Frequent oil changes (within reason) are just as important as the quality of oil. I have seen fleet vehicles rack up 200k - 300k miles of abusive use on no-name fleet or Walmart brand motor oil. The secret was frequent regular oil changes.

There is a difference between regular and synthetic motor oil. Synthetic is better - MUCH better. It is my opinion that the cheapest synthetic on the market will outperform circles around the most expensive regular oil. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can go 20k between oil changes with synthetic oil. The only way to know for sure is to do oil analysis tests periodically and see what effect your driving situation is having on your oil. Personally, I play it safe and use synthetic oil and change it at the recommended intervals in all my vehicles. This practice has provided me with vehicles with engines that lasted longer than the rest of the vehicle.

Aside from a few custom made blends that aren't available to the retail market, leave all the oil additives sitting on the shelf and don't use them in your engine. You're better off spending that money on good oil and oil filters and changing oil more frequently.

Speaking of oil filters, there is a difference. However, just because it comes in a flashy box and costs more than a twelve-pack of beer doesn't mean it's the best. When you get bored one weekend, spend some time with a variety of oil filters and a good hacksaw. You might have an enlightening experience. For example, good ol' "ST" brand oil filters sold at Walmart are actually made by Champion Labs (no relation to the spark plugs) and are a darn good oil filter and are well manufactured. On the other hand, give the standard Fram oil filter the hacksaw treatment and you will understand the old saying: "marketing is everything."

One last thing. Whenever the seasons change, give your beast a drink of fuel system and injector cleaner. The cheap stuff will work just fine. Also, at least twice a year between summer and winter, give youre tank a drink of fuel system moisture remover/de-icer. You know, that yellow bottle that says "Heet" on it. It will remove moisture from your fuel system and keep your injectors happy. It breaks up mosture in the fuel system and allows it to pass through the injectors without clogging them.

Remember, a dollars worth of preventive maintenace can save you thousands in the long run.

Now that's some solid advise. Thank you for posting that. And, welcome to the group!

Danny

10,000 Posts Club Member #1
Conservative Club Member #2
Gun Toting American Club Member #3
post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Just a quick update. After putting almost 6700 miles on my truck in a little less than 3 months (trip to Illinois and South Carolina), I took it in to the dealer to have the wheel liner replaced. While I was there, I asked him to hook it to the Tech II so I could get an oil life printout. Monitor still showed 47% oil life remaining.

Only thing I've done besides checking the level is changing the filter (AC Delco PF-61 $2.98 at Advance Auto) before I left for South Carolina.

EDITED 25 JULY TO ADD

Changed my oil this weekend and did the monitor reset afterwards. Display didn't go back to zero so I took it to the dealer this morning. Tech II shows 100% oil life remaining but it looks like the display itself doesn't reset back to zero.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does an oil change. It's a pity the ECU is so damn temperamental. -- Author Unknown
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Common sence says change the oil every 3k miles.
For most people your vehicle is the second most costly investment other than your home.
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Question 1: Yes
Question 2: No & NO!
Question 3: Yes and see answer no. 1

2006 Colorado Crew 2LT Z71 4x4 3.5 Auto 3.73's Blue Granite w/ Very Dark Pewter Cloth Factory Folding Hard Tonneau Line-X Bedliner Mr Taillight Hi/Lo Beam Harness Ordered 9-30-05 Picked up 11-2-05 34 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree 15yr. Volunteer Firefighter
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Question 1: Yes
Question 2: No & NO!
Question 3: Yes and see answer no. 1
I agree with question 1.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:01 PM

I was up to about 45 000km before my change oil message ever came up
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1. Yes
2. Depends who you ask.
3. You have to decide, Mine went over 13k before it told me to change the oil. I have sent my oil for tests now and I have worked my way up to 9100 miles on my oil this last time. It still had additives and no impurities. I'm going to 10k this time.
The dealers want your money and some aren't sold on GM's message.

Just my take on it...

Ken Deatrick
2017 COLORADO 4WD LT EXT CAB Z85

2004 COLORADO 4WD LS EXT CAB Z85 - CT15653
Mods:
Silver GM Hood Protector, Silver GM Small Flares, Factory Style Fog Lamps added
Rhino Liner, Fold-A-Cover, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Silverstar Bulbs

1957 BELAIR 4 DOOR HARD TOP

My CarDomain Gallery
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to 04BColly Send a message via MSN to 04BColly
for those who did get the beep after resetting their oil, how lon did it take?

I've sat in my truck for 5 minutes and no beep. I have the extra harness so all my chimes still work.

what am I doing wrong?

2006 Chevy Cobalt. Victory Red, 5Spd, 2LT Sports Package, Pioneer 7Spkr System. Pics Soon.

Traded her in, on 04/29/06.
My Pics
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You will not hear the beeps if you changed your headunit and are not using the Metra VT-GMRC-01 harness.
I seen this brought up only once, on this entire forum, but I think he is on to something.

I have the GMRC-01 (with the speaker) but mine is a clone, bought from circuit city. I think my DIC resets correctly but I still get no dings when I reset it, it just goes from flashing to solid. I haven't tried the accelerator method yet, and will today, just to try it. I haven't seen the change oil message ever, I always change mine manually, so I guess the only way to know for sure is to take it in and have the dealer hook it up once for a test. Anyone with the GMRC-01 having the same problem?
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:49 PM

The Silverado have the cool reduntent radio controls that also allow you to use the on board computer. The silverado computers allow you to see the engine oil life %
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode