TIP: GM Oil Life System - How to reset Change Oil Message - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to efficientchaos
Well it's always hardest on any engine when you first start it after an oil change. I can hear it too. That's why I always fill up my oil filter before I screw it on. I use Valvoline 5w30 in my colorado and I change it when the color is between fresh and black and I can usually tell by smell too, so it's usually about 3500 to 4000 intervals. It starts to get really dark after about 6000, but i only let that happen once when relying on the OIL LIFE monitor.

I stuck with valvoline because of a '90 integra with 193,000 miles on it and a good bit of them were racing miles. I tore the motor apart after I wrecked it and all of the internals were near perfect. I couldn't believe it. I also put 3/4 bottle of lucas in it to quiet down the valvetrain but that's a honda motor for you.

As for the OIL LIFE reset:
Get in and shut the door. Make sure the e-brake is off. Turn the key two clicks forward and turn the radio off if it's on. Press and release the reset stick until you see OIL LIFE come up. Then hold it down until you hear three beeps and then you're good to go. It should take about 15 seconds, if that.

2004 Dark Red Chevy Colorado
- Z-85 LS 2wd Ext Cab I5 Automatic with 3:73
- Z71 Tow Hooks
- Michelin LTX-MS 235-75 R16's...so nice.
- Stock
- Like it that way.
55000 ~ miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:19 AM

This site is great. I've been figuring out how to reset this warning for two days now! I'll tackle it this afternoon. Thanks, guys!

Proud owner of a
- 2005 Colorado, Z71
- Crew Cab, 4x4
- Victory Red

Gig 'Em! '98
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 AM

Reset Oil Light

All you need to do this is with ignition in the off off position turn ignition key on and press the accelerator pedal rapidly 5 or so times. This will reset the oil change light . My TX to Mike @ Borci's Auto 4 his expertise.

post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 05coloradoLS
I think that the oil should be changed at 3,000 miles or close to it. I dont know a lot about engines, but I want to keep my truck in the best possible running condition. So spend a few dollars and change the oil regularly

Love My Colorado!!!
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dillusion
Pushing the DIC takes so long. Just step on the gas 3 times.
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 05:56 PM

How to know how much (in percentage/miles) oil life one has left in a Colorado:

1. Have OnStar
2. Sign up for "monthly diagnostic emails" and provide OnStar with a valid email address (free service if OnStar is active).
3. Get monthly email in your email box, open.
4. At the bottom of this email will be an 'Oil Life Remaining" statistic giving you approximate amount of life left in both miles and as a percentage. ;^)

Here's the latest one I got, edited for privacy of course, and for some reason, it isn't showing the miles. The first few I got before my oil change at the 4-4.5k point, showed a percentage and was basing it on a 13,500 mile lifespan.

http://home.earthlink.net/~simracer53/onstar_report.pdf

And note: Yes, I know I haven't done the tail lamp recall yet (recalls also show up in these emails). I just haven't had the time to be without the truck for a whole day yet...But I DO WISH they had the percentage left on the DIC like my TrailBlazer does. I also wish they had 2 trip meters like most cars/trucks do today. I use one to track miles-per-tank, and I use the other one to track miles-between-oil changes...

2006 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3LT I5 3.5L G80 3.73
OnStar - Sirius - 6CD changer - Heated Leather buckets - Sunroof - WeatherTech visors - Michelin LTX 31x1050s - Line-X - PCM tuned
Next: Trade-in on new H3 Alpha
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4B
Ahhh oil threads... on the Z06 it will tell me the % remaining... on the truck not so much.

You people who are still 3000 mile intervals must be better zombies need to do some research.

Porsche and BMW warranty their oil changes free of charge.... at 15,000 mile intervals.

I follow the DIC in both of my vehicles, but I do change the oil out in the Z06 before a track event.

I also run some techron fuel system cleaner through the gas w/ every oil change.

2004 GMC Canyon - DD/toy hauler
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA TTA racecar
2003 Torch Red/Tan Corvette Convertible
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 PM

A lot of guys on this site use Mobil 1 every 5000 miles, including me. If you ask 10 different mechanics about when to change your oil you will get 10 different answers. Just change it yourself every 5000 with Mobil 1.

BANNER BY MC
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:09 AM

My 01 Pontiac Montana does show the percentage of life left. Being able to look at the percentage left does make me more confident in the system. After 130,000 miles of changing the oil when the light comes on (4500-6500 miles) the top of the head under the filler cap still looks clean enough to eat off of and it doesn't use a drop of oil. I was a skeptic so I sent a sample of the oil for analysis and it still had some life left in it. I think 3000 miles is safe for worst case driving conditions in a modern fuel injected car or truck. I plan on doing the first change in my Canyon at 3000 and then whenever the change oil message comes on after that. That said I do agree that it doesn't hurt to change the oil more often than needed, but it is really bad if you don't change it enough. I wish they used the technology on the automatic transmission fluid. I plan on servicing the transmission at 15000 mile intervals.

2007 GMC Canyou Reg cab 4x4 I-5 Auto
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Changing oil every 3000 miles is something your grampa came up with 60 years ago, because it is a nice round number. In those days, engines were worn out at 50K.
With todays engine technology and today's oils, you are throwing your money away to change every 3000k.
I have had oil life monitors on my Oldsmobiles for 10 years, and they work. Do what the light tells you to do. The engineers didn't put those light on the dash to amuse you.
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Not all DICs are the same.
When resetting mine, I never notice a last changed mileage or a percentage but I do see the current mileage flashed along with RESET until I actually reset it or abort the procedure. As far as DICs being different, my brother and I both have M5 trannys and if the RPM is too low on his 2004 he gets a LOW TACH message, something I have never seen on my 2005.
Is there a fully functional DIC that I can update my truck with?

2005 Colorado 2D 4wd I5 5m Iridium plugs GM Tonneau cover (daily winter driver - can't get new
5 or 8 cylinder with manual tranny so have to watch mileage on this one)
2007 Pontiac G5 coupe 2.2 L 16 V I4 5m (almost daily summer driver - a car that is OK to use)
2003 Pontiac Grand Am sedan 2.2 L 16V I4 5m (daughter's car aka the company car)
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:14 PM

I know it's an old thread here but my Oil Life message was just displayed for the first time and I have over 31k on my odometer. Plus I just changed my oil less than 1500 miles ago. So I am just gonna stick with the every 3k miles.
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Re: TIP: GM Oil Life System - How to reset Change Oil Message

Okay, just got back from the dealer after having some warranty work done. I had the shop check the oil change indicator system because the system has never indicated an oil change, even after 4000 miles of low speed, high rpm mountain driving. The service rep called gm to find out how to check if the system was working. He was told the system, contrary to what the owners manual says, has nothing to do with engine load or driving conditions. The system is set to indicate an oil change only after, get this, 7000 MILES. So all of us have been duped into believing this system will help us protect our engines. Disregard the indicator and change your oil the standard 3000 miles!
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

^^^^ Go read my reply in the other thread you posted this drivel in.

05 Canyon EC SLE - I5M Z71 GT4
V1 | FRAM Boost+RamAir | LED + HAW Strobes | BFG 33-12.5-15
Rancho | Bubaloo Skidz | MBRP Dumped System
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanacanyon
Okay, just got back from the dealer after having some warranty work done. I had the shop check the oil change indicator system because the system has never indicated an oil change, even after 4000 miles of low speed, high rpm mountain driving. The service rep called gm to find out how to check if the system was working. He was told the system, contrary to what the owners manual says, has nothing to do with engine load or driving conditions. The system is set to indicate an oil change only after, get this, 7000 MILES. So all of us have been duped into believing this system will help us protect our engines. Disregard the indicator and change your oil the standard 3000 miles!
I'm calling bullshit on this statement. The service rep is a retard. Thanks for the useless advice.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Steve Ritter, senior editor of Chemical & Engineering News,
writes, “Conventional wisdom has held that the oil should be
changed about every 3,000 miles. This notion has been
ingrained into people's heads for decades, in part as a marketing
ploy by oil companies. The 3,000-mile interval made
sense when engines used single-grade nondetergent oils.
But with the latest oils and car designs, it's no longer necessary
to change oil that often under normal driving conditions.
According to GM, standard 3,000-mile oil change recommendations
are based on outdated engine and oil technology,
and the company instead recommends changing oil
based on its Oil Life System. Currently included on over 97
percent of all GM vehicles sold in the U.S., the GM Oil Life
System typically allows drivers to extend drain intervals up
to 10,000 miles through use of a computer-based software
algorhythm that measures vehicle operating conditions.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon08Z71
Quote:
I'm calling bullshit on this statement. The service rep is a retard. Thanks for the useless advice.
I take it you're a gm certified mechanic.
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Quote:

GM Certified Mechanic's don't necessarily understand the OLM either.

05 Canyon EC SLE - I5M Z71 GT4
V1 | FRAM Boost+RamAir | LED + HAW Strobes | BFG 33-12.5-15
Rancho | Bubaloo Skidz | MBRP Dumped System
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Whatever you need to hear, champ.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM

FINALLY I figured this damn thing out. I had tried the oil life reset method in the manual and the pumping accelerator, neither one worked on my 08 canyon. I tried the radio off, the radio on, doors closed, e-brake off, everything. I even turned ac and fan controls to the off position, nothing worked. There was a step skipped in all these methods.

For trucks with keyless entry, before you attempt the oil life reset method, you have to hit the unlock button on your remote even if the truck is already unlocked (just like when starting the truck). After you unlock the truck with the remote proceed with the oil life reset mentioned in the manual, this is the only way i could get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode