TIP: GM Oil Life System - How to reset Change Oil Message - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kdeatrick Send a message via MSN to kdeatrick Send a message via Yahoo to kdeatrick
Default TIP: GM Oil Life System - How to reset Change Oil Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Owners Manual Page 3-40[/b]]

GM Oil Life Systemâ„¢

Press the reset stem until OIL LIFE appears (flashing) on the display. The GM Oil Life System™ shows an estimate of the oil’s remaining useful life. It will show 100% when the system is reset after an oil change. It will alert you to change your oil on a schedule consistent with your driving conditions.

Always reset the engine oil life after an oil change. To reset the oil life system press and hold the reset stem while OIL LIFE is displayed. The system will reset and a beep will sound.

The DIC does not replace the need to maintain your vehicle as recommended in the Maintenance Schedule in this manual. The oil change reminder will not detect dusty conditions or engine malfunctions that may affect the oil. Also, the oil change reminder does not measure how much oil you have in your engine. So, be sure to check your oil level often. See Engine Oil on page 5-13 for more information.

Owners Manual Page 5-17
How to Reset the CHANGE OIL Message
The GM Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE OIL message being turned on, reset the system.

Always reset the engine oil life to 100% after every oil change. It will not reset itself. To reset the CHANGE OIL message, do the following:
1. Display OIL LIFE on the DIC.
2. Press and hold the reset stem. The oil life will change to 100% and a beep will sound.
3. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE OIL message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.
This is from eSI and is more accurate and detailed than the Owners Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSI Manual
GM Oil Life System - Resetting
The vehicle has a computer system that has a change engine oil light, indicating when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. The change engine oil light will come on. The oil must be changed as soon as possible. It is possible that, if the vehicle is driven under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil and filter is changed.

1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine OFF.
2. Press and release the reset button in the driver information center (DIC) until the OIL LIFE message is displayed.
3. Once the alternating OIL LIFE and RESET messages appear on the DIC display, press and hold the reset stem until several beeps sound. This confirms the OIL LIFE system has been reset.
4. Turn the key to lock. If the CHANGE OIL message comes back on when you start the engine, the ENGINE OIL LIFE system has not reset. Repeat the procedure
Alternate Method
1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.
2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. Several beeps sound. This confirms the oil life system has been reset.
3. If the CHANGE/OIL message comes back on when you start the engine, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure
Silver GM Hood Protector, Silver GM Small Flares, Factory Style Fog Lamps added
Rhino Liner, Fold-A-Cover, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Silverstar Bulbs
kdeatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mighty_mace

Hmm I have been trying to just check my oil status.....I turn the key to the "on" position and press the button until "oil life" appears and is flashing. But I can't see what percentage of my oil is used up? Where does it show you? all I can see is the mileage. Any suggestions?
mighty_mace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kdeatrick Send a message via MSN to kdeatrick Send a message via Yahoo to kdeatrick

It won't tell you a percentage except when you reset it. It will only tell you when it needs changed.

A little arrogant of them!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bloke

Here's a thread from a few weeks ago....
http://www.coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=557

I am told that the on-board computer can calculate and store the percentage of oil life, but for some reason we got shorted on the display.

Chevy Colorado Z71 - 4x4
Southern California
My Personal Gallery
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2004, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

the dealer can probably tell with the diagnostic tool, they just don't show the consumer.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SONG

I can press my stem until I'm blue in the face. All it will do is toggle back and forth from my odometer to my trip odometer. What am I doing wrong?
Conservative Club Member #8
SONG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is from eSI and is more accurate and detailed than the Owners Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSI Manual
GM Oil Life System - Resetting
The vehicle has a computer system that has a change engine oil light, indicating when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. The change engine oil light will come on. The oil must be changed as soon as possible. It is possible that, if the vehicle is driven under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil and filter is changed.

1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine OFF.
2. Press and release the reset button in the driver information center (DIC) until the OIL LIFE message is displayed.
3. Once the alternating OIL LIFE and RESET messages appear on the DIC display, press and hold the reset stem until several beeps sound. This confirms the OIL LIFE system has been reset.
4. Turn the key to lock. If the CHANGE OIL message comes back on when you start the engine, the ENGINE OIL LIFE system has not reset. Repeat the procedure
Old 07-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Something that tripped me up for a while is that you need to have the parking brake off, as well as all the doors shut to be able to access the oil life reset. Any messages displayed on the DIC will prevent you from getting to the oil life portion.
1964 Chevelle Malibu Conv
1999 Harley Road King Classic
red64chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2004, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Oil Life display

I also can't get my oil life display to show the percentage of oil life left. The owners manual leads you to believe that you can check the remaining life left. I've got almost 10.000 mi on mine and the change oil message never came on. I did however change the oil at 6000 mi and I'm getting ready to do it again in a couple of thou mi because I've always been a advocate of frequent oil changes and I'm not going to wait for a computer I dont trust to tell me too. I didnt re-set the oil life when I changed it because I want to see if it ever comes on. I've been using Mobil 1 for the past 7 years or so in my past vehicles and I know you can go longer intervels but 10,000 (mostly highway miles) is still my limit.

Nowhere that I could find mentioned doing a first oil change withen the first couple thousand miles like I've always done in my past new vehicles. Whatever happened to "getting rid of the break-in oil"?
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2004, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

They don't recommend removing the breakin oil that early. They haven't for a few years.

Also the DIC will not show the percentage left on our trucks. The manual for the 2004 models had a mis-print.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.