Issue: Heat Shield Rattle - PIP3147 & PIP3195 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Issue: Heat Shield Rattle - PIP3147 & PIP3195

does anyone have the exact tsb for the colorado for the heat shield noise at 1700-2200 rpms? I told them one existed but they couldn't find one....also they couldn't hear the noise :(

matt

Admin Edit
Old subject:
Heat Shield Rattle....dealer says no noise and no such TSB
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Take a service person or manager with you to duplicate the noise. I did that so I would not get the "could not duplicate issue" crap. I think there is a TSB here somewhere, but you'll need to search for it.

If I can remember to, I'll look at my work order and see if they list a TSB. I doubt it as it was back a while, but I'll look anyway to see if it can help you some way. Good luck!
My Gallery
Drew510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2004, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

My truck is making this noise and my dealer has done several things to try and get rid of it including the heat shield tsb, a new muffler and a new clutch disc. All three were recommended for my problem by the GM manuals as I understand. However I still have the noise and GM is deciding what they want to do with my situation. The GM district manager says that this is a problem that GM is having with some of the stickshift models. If yours is not a stick shift then your noise is more than likely different then mine.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kdeatrick Send a message via MSN to kdeatrick Send a message via Yahoo to kdeatrick

There are 2 TSB's for the issue! The idiot at the dealership is apparently deaf, dumb, blind, lazy, dishonest or all of the above.

The 2 issues are preliminary information bulletins.
Silver GM Hood Protector, Silver GM Small Flares, Factory Style Fog Lamps added
Rhino Liner, Fold-A-Cover, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Silverstar Bulbs
kdeatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2004, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kdeatrick Send a message via MSN to kdeatrick Send a message via Yahoo to kdeatrick

Document ID# 1556728

Tinny Rattle Under Load Heat Shield - kw GMT355 clutch exhaust plate vibration noise manual transmission MA5 third fourth second first fifth gear #PIP3195 - (Oct 19, 2004)
Tinny Rattle Under Load Heat Shield

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Vehicle may exhibit an exhaust heat shield type rattle which sounds like it is coming from the back of the cab in the driveline area. The concern will most likely occur under light load on a slight grade and may be worse as the vehicle warms up. The condition is most easily duplicated in 3rd or 4th gear at about 1800-2300 RPMs. This concern will only occur on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Inspect for any obvious signs of loose exhaust heat shields. If none are found, inspect the clutch disc for loose dampening springs in the hub. If loose springs are found, replace the clutch disc.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(04 Chevrolet Colorado) and (05 Chevrolet Colorado) and (04 GMC Canyon) and (05 GMC Canyon)
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Document ID# 1551315
04 3.5L L52 Colorado and Canyon - Exhaust Buzz Noise - kw accelerate GMT355 heat manifold noise rattle shield #PIP3147 - (Sep 23, 2004)
04 3.5L L52 Colorado and Canyon - Exhaust Buzz Noise

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some 2004 Colorado and Canyons equipped with the L52 engine and built prior to July 2004, may have an exhaust buzz at approximately 2100 RPM due to possible heat shield contact with exhaust manifold. This may be caused by a clearance issue between the exhaust manifold heat shield and the exhaust manifold. The condition can be corrected by bending the heat shield outward to provide approximately 10-12 mm of clearance. If you get a vehicle with this condition, please confirm adequate clearance of the heat shield and test drive.

Recommendation/Instructions:
n/a

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(04 Chevrolet Colorado) and (04 GMC Canyon)
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

"Some 2004 Colorado and Canyons equipped with the L52 engine and built prior to July 2004, may have an exhaust buzz at approximately 2100 RPM due to possible heat shield contact with exhaust manifold. This may be caused by a clearance issue between the exhaust manifold heat shield and the exhaust manifold. The condition can be corrected by bending the heat shield outward to provide approximately 10-12 mm of clearance."

kdeatrick, does it specify where exactly on the manifold the contact is occurring? if its a simple fix as that, I'd rather not bother going to the dealer.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2004, 03:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I cut and pasted both bulletins in full.
Some others can tell you for sure. I know one person used stell wool I think to cushion it. In my opinion that may not be the best as it could become a fire hazard. I think most just mentioned that the dealer bent the shield back in place.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

cool thanks for the bulletins :)

I think my was made after july 2004 though....when they did the TSB search they did it by VIN...so who knows. I may just go and do it myself.

oh and it is an auto with the I5 lil stinky.

matt

EDIT: well actually my truck was made 11/03 so it should be covered and I got my oil changed today and they said well we have to hear it to perform teh TSB :(

all I can say is I am asking them to bend a peice of aluminum 10 mm's at most....they act like I am asking for them to drop the tranny or something.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to EricMN

matt_p, it's time to try a new dealer. I have found that there is a lot of variation between dealerships.
*Hoen Fogs
*Hoodflector Bug Shield
*Access Bedcover
*1.5" Torsion Bar Crank
*SSC 16" wheels
*Gorilla Wheel Locks
*265-70-16 Dueler Revo II's
Now driving a 2010 Sierra All-Terrain Z71
EricMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

so I just went in and had the guy go for a test ride and listen to it......he said that isn't the heat sheild. He said that is internal engine noise.....I asked him what that meant and he said the tech would look at it. I told him I test drove alot of these trucks at several dealerships and none of them made this noise. It is just funny that it happens at 2000 rpm's at slow speeds during accelartion.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.