engine squeal - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default engine squeal

Lately my truck will sometimes make a horrible squealing noise when I first crank it up in the morning. Sounds kind of like a bad belt tensioner or something. It ONLY happens after the truck sits overnight though, it won't do it again the rest of the day.

So I finally went to the dealership with it, and of course the truck didn't make the noise for them, after leaving it there for 2 days in a row so they could try cold cranking it in the morning. It will undoubtedly do it tommorrow morning after I go pick it up tonight.

Anyone else had this noise? It's not a 'whine' or 'rattle' like has been discussed here before. It sounds exactly like a squealing belt or pulley.

I only have 3k left on my warranty, and I don't know how I'm going to convince the dealership that somethin is wrong with it if it won't reproduce the noise when I leave it there. It's extremely frustrating. I guess I'm going to have to fix it myself.
69boo307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Carbuster Send a message via MSN to Carbuster Send a message via Yahoo to Carbuster

Anything like this?

Quote:
Underhood Whine or Rattle Type Noise (Replace Tensioner) #04-06-01-016A - (Nov 9, 2004)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado
2004 GMC Canyon

with 3.5L L5 Engine (VIN 6 - RPO L52)

Built Prior To VIN Breakpoints 48123220 (Chevrolet) and 48123225 (GMC)

This bulletin is being updated to clarify the Correction and Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-01-016 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a whine type noise and/or a possible rattle noise on light acceleration coming from the engine. This noise may seem more pronounced at start up after an overnight soak.

Cause
The source of the noise may be the balance shaft chain and the tensioner interaction. There are 2 balance shafts in this engine that are driven by the crankshaft to keep the engine running smoothly. This noise does vary from vehicle to vehicle and does not cause any durability concerns; however, some customers may find it objectionable.

Correction
A new tensioner has been designed to eliminate this noise. The kit consists of an oil fed tensioner, longer tensioner bolts, balance shaft drive chain and right side balance shaft assembly. Please note that it is necessary to install the updated balance shaft assembly because it contains an oil feed passage for the oil fed tensioner.

This new tensioner was introduced into production in the mid December time frame. If you have a vehicle built prior to VIN breakpoints 48123220 (Chevrolet) and 48123225 (GMC), install a new tensioner, P/N 89017543.

Follow the removal and installation instructions in SI for the Balance Shaft Chain Tensioner Replacement in the Engine Mechanical section. You will also need to order and install a new rear oil seal, P/N 12568124.

Parts Information
Part Number - Description - Qty

89017543 - Tensioner Kit, Hydraulic - 1
12568124 - Seal, Crankshaft Rear Oil - 1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation - Description - Labor Time

J0787 - Tensioner And/Or Shoe, Timing Chain - Replace - Use Published Labor Operation Time
Carbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

that's likely the cause... but unless it will do it in front of the dealer tech, I have no way to convince them that there's a problem.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think that TSB is what your problem is. That is for the chain tensioner not tbe belt tensioner. I've been having the squealing belt issue also, happens the same as yours, but it has been getting worse lately. It will squeal after sitting for only 20-30 minutes now. I am going to the dealer after work tonight, it should be squealing when I go there if it acts as it normally does. I belive that it is the belt. I remeber seeing a post where someone had this issue and that some of the "early" trucks have a belt that is very slightly too long (only a couple mm's). My belt also seems to be glazed over a little bit, this combination may be causeing the squeal. I'll keep you posted, I have had no trouble with my dealer fixing things.
31x10.5 BFG A/Ts - TorzaTopCover
McCulloch 6000k HID
bablake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bablake
I don't think that TSB is what your problem is. That is for the chain tensioner not tbe belt tensioner. I've been having the squealing belt issue also, happens the same as yours, but it has been getting worse lately. It will squeal after sitting for only 20-30 minutes now. I am going to the dealer after work tonight, it should be squealing when I go there if it acts as it normally does. I belive that it is the belt. I remeber seeing a post where someone had this issue and that some of the "early" trucks have a belt that is very slightly too long (only a couple mm's). My belt also seems to be glazed over a little bit, this combination may be causeing the squeal. I'll keep you posted, I have had no trouble with my dealer fixing things.
Yes, please let us know what happens. If it's just a matter of installing a new belt, then that's no big deal. There's nothing visibly wrong with my belt, but I'm not imagining the squealing.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bigtryt

I also have a similar issue. It only happens when it rains and sits over night or it is damp outside at night. When I first start up I can hear a squeal and it goes away after a few minutes of driving. My guess would also be the belt tensioner.

-Nick

MyGallery
Grounded 355 Member #8
Bigtryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

took mine into the shop today for a under hood noise at a cold start. They told me it was the idler pulley and the part was on back order. my truck has 700 miles on it, man was i ever so chapped.
FLAT TOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I went to the dealer after work, the service writer said they have replaced the belts on about 5 rados already. One of them was his and he has not had the problem return since the belt was replaced. He also said all the trucks were earlier in production (Dec '03-Jan-Feb-March of '04) and there was not common mileages, his was replaced at about 9k miles, mine will be replaced at about 22k. They have the belts in stock and I'm going in on Thursday to have it replaced.
31x10.5 BFG A/Ts - TorzaTopCover
McCulloch 6000k HID
bablake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

mine has been doing the same thing (squealing on cold start) since i hit 200 miles and i am at 888 now and it is still doing it. like some of the others it goes away after 3 mins and doesn't come back the rest of the day. i took it in at 300 miles they told me to wait till 1000 miles. you can bet it is going back in, i already lost my truck for 3 days for them to repaint my roof and it still has to go in for scratches :( but i still love my truck :D
Old 01-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

i have a 2.8 and i also het the squeal when i start my truck in the morning, been happening since 8000 miles, a little to early for the belt to squeal isn't it, specially cuz my engine is still real clean
Grounded 355 Member #4

LiLKaRBoY13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.